Author Topic: Lost your U2 mojo?  (Read 18678 times)

Offline xeo

• Babyface
Re: Lost your U2 mojo?
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2012, 08:02:02 PM »
I've been a huge fan since 1987, but have been slowly losing my U2 mojo since ATYCLB. With each album/tour, it gets more pronounced. The real shocker for me came when I realized I wasn't at all disappointed when the 360 tour was postponed in 2010. I had seen a show in 2009 and was thoroughly underwhelmed. I also haven't listened to NLOTH in well over a year, and have no desire to hear it at all. I also rarely listen to ATYCLB and Bomb, and when I do it's with an altered playlist (some songs, like AMAAW, I simply cannot stand, and the original running order of those albums doesn't work for me). Anyway, I no longer have any hope they'll ever be able to release a decent album again. I still love their 80s and 90s material, but I only listen to those in phases now. More than ever, it feels like U2 ended after Pop, and maybe they should just call it quits before it gets any worse.

Offline BringCitrus

• Refugee
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2012, 11:44:51 PM »
My fandom took a big hit in 2005. I think there were so many changes happening in my life in that period that I was embracing as much as I was trying to move away from this 'old life'. I had grown tired of my entire music collection and started getting into a lot of brand new stuff and just couldn't stand my older tastes anymore. I moved to a new state and in an attempt to save some money, I sold a U2 ticket to a friend. I didn't get back into U2 until a couple years ago. Visiting Dublin and seeing the studios, the "Point Depot" (i'm more into 80s-era U2 than I am 90s or 00s) and other U2-related sites really helped bring me back into it again. Now one of my biggest regrets is not going to that show...it was the 2nd night in Detroit on the Vertigo tour and they played so much stuff I wanted to hear live: Gloria, Crumbs, WGRYWH, First Time. I do agree that the 360 performances were lacking and Bono's voice is deteriorating and making me fear I'll never get to hear these songs live. However, I've been listening to their catalog and old shows very often in the past year or so.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2012, 03:39:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm not the rabid fan I used to be when I'd go into record shops and hunt for U2 bootlegs like I did when I was 20.

U2 are older and i'm older. I'm in my mid 30's, I have a wife and kid, I have a company to look after, etc.. U2 just are not as important to me as they used to be. I also think that U2 is not as important to U2 as they used to be. They have families and company's to look after also. The band doesn't come 1st anymore. Bono used to put everything he had into singing songs like One, With or Without You, Bad, Pride, etc.. He just doesn't go to that emotional place with those songs like he used to. At the end of the day, I'll always have those bootlegs to remind me how special they really were in their prime.

i'm in exactly the same boat (although i don't own my own company  :'() and i agree with everything you wrote here.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:18:35 AM by miami »

Jara

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 07:42:38 AM »
Can i just clarify one thing....I still love Album material. Yeah.....overall, comapred to the previous two Decades, the album material has paled in significance...but hey.....how blessed am i to be able to say...i still love the stuff they put out. Shows how high a standard 80s and 90s material was. it was exceptional!
Its just live, more specifically the 360 tour where i have started to question the band. Realistically......the classics which i reffered to in an earlier post, will....IMHO, never be ecplisped (performance wise) again. I just have to accept that pre 00's material, has long sinced peaked in the live environment.
Still like hearing the newer songs live tho

So...in summation, im still happy with album material.....not so happy with live shows

hrsan

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2012, 08:10:53 AM »
I wasn't too fond of Pop when it came out.  I thought PopMart was way over the top and felt the band were trying to be something they weren't.    Over the years, Pop has grown on me a bit.  It all depends on the setlists if I want to see them live. 

Offline Antrim Boy

• Babyface
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2012, 08:27:18 PM »
I think this lull in U2 activity has started making me think over the last few months about my band's 'mojo' and me. Prior to ATYCLB I was hardcore and defended them to the hilt. Even with their wealth and fortune back then, I didn't begrudge their success because their work, their committment to quality and their causes was still admirable and one felt proud that they came from the same island that I came from.

But since this century, the dynamic for me has slowly changed.  I'm still not that keen on ATYCLB although I don't dislike it as much as I used to. I was disappointed they decided to 'play safe' by being more commercial and I was angry that they dismissed Pop so easily as a mistake. So what if it sold less than other albums, it was still superb: daring and challenging. HTDAAB seemed like its predecessor's sequel - great singles, poor filler in between.  However, seeing them live in Cardiff on that tour did re-invigorate them and I forgave the fab 4 for going soft!

Then the tax thing. Oh dear. I have to say the arguments they chose to defend the move - "it's perfectly legal" - sound no different from that of a goverment minister defending some morally dubious policy. I felt embarrased because we all pay taxes to support public services and here was "my band" seemingly trying to avoid them - especially when the country they grew up in was going to the dogs. When I also started hearing about their successful investments in big corporations, I wondered what had happened to the band that were "of the people" back in the 1980s. They seemed to be pale, shallow effigies of those men.

I was, however, pleased that the 5 years away did merit a great 'comeback' album. I still love NLOTH after 3 years now. It's back to an experimental feel which I am pleased about - more of the same please! But Bono spoilt a perfect return by mouthing off about the tour "providing tickets for rich people, too" at a BBC show prior to its launch. I just felt embarrassed for him because these sort of comments confirm the 'tax avoiders' tag they now have. If only I could have gone back in time and told him to shut up! But I did see them in Auckland for 360 and was blown away all over again. So what do I know??!!

I'm not expecting U2 to suddenly change on my account but the tax thing a lot of damage for their public image and defending them to my hipster mates has been a challenge I've given up on -  I'm now agreeing with them. That saddens me a bit as this is a bad I've followed almost religiously for nearly 30 years and now a few so-so records and a few poor public decisions has soiled an beloved obssession I used to have.  I sincerely hope they do surprise me in the future and my undying love for them will return in excelsis. But until them, I'm sceptical.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2012, 12:41:04 AM »
Then the tax thing. Oh dear. I have to say the arguments they chose to defend the move - "it's perfectly legal" - sound no different from that of a goverment minister defending some morally dubious policy. I felt embarrased because we all pay taxes to support public services and here was "my band" seemingly trying to avoid them - especially when the country they grew up in was going to the dogs.

Just an aside, but I find it interesting that so many in Europe and the UK fault U2 for doing what is considered in my country a godly and virtuous thing, namely, paying as little in taxes as possible regardless of of how it affects lazy poor people.

The teabaggers here must be so proud....

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2012, 02:30:14 AM »
Have I lost my U2 mojo? Well, I don’t think so… but you tell me.

Through the 80s up to the mid-90s, I went to as many shows as I could get to. Most of them were GA, so I’d buy a ticket for me, and I knew that my buddies were doing the same. Many of those gigs would be like - every man for himself, and we’ll just meet at the car afterwards.
But then I lost my eyesight somewhere between Zoo TV and Pop Mart. So buying a single ticket just wasn’t going to fly anymore. I still wanted to go, and I still did go, but losing my buddy in GA just wasn’t an option anymore… and for obvious reasons, too. So I’d just always make sure that I bought 2 to 4 tickets for every show, and worry about who’s taking me later.
Nowadays, I’m usually with my wife, and there’s always some @U2ers to hang with at each gig. But in the last few years, some of my nieces and nephews have grown up, and so all those extra tickets I’d buy would go to them. I’ve heard there’s a ballot going around my family with my name on it, for  “Greatest Uncle in the World”. But that could just be a rumor.
What I found is that I haven’t lost any mojo, I’m just sharing it with my nieces and nephews. They know nothing of Paul McGuiness, the band’s taxes, the fan club, U2 Duals, safe songs for radio, or the million dollar box-set. What they saw was a live performance that blew their socks off… and all from the front inner pit that their blind uncle got them to. I’ve been to over 10 U2 shows since the lights went out for me, and over half of those I somehow got into the inner-pit. I might have to work a bit harder to make that happen, but whatever way I get in there, or even to a seat, it’s always worth it.
So yeah, I think the mojo’s intact, even as I give a lot of it away.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2012, 08:13:16 AM »
Then the tax thing. Oh dear. I have to say the arguments they chose to defend the move - "it's perfectly legal" - sound no different from that of a goverment minister defending some morally dubious policy. I felt embarrased because we all pay taxes to support public services and here was "my band" seemingly trying to avoid them - especially when the country they grew up in was going to the dogs.

Just an aside, but I find it interesting that so many in Europe and the UK fault U2 for doing what is considered in my country a godly and virtuous thing, namely, paying as little in taxes as possible regardless of of how it affects lazy poor people.

The teabaggers here must be so proud....

Yeah, tax evasion is a sport over here!

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 08:32:13 AM »
"Really, were you ever a true fan if you can so easily be “done” with the band?"

Oh brother, the "true fan" police again ?

So someone can have been a fan fo r20-30 years, seen hundreds of concerts, spent thousands of dollars and if they "lose their mojo" then they were never a "true fan" according to some ???

SMH

A lot.

Jara

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2012, 08:55:27 AM »
This whole u2 Tax thing P155E5 me off no end. Bottom line....show me ONE person who wouldnt rather pay less taxes IF they could swing it and i will show you a liar!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2012, 08:56:56 AM »
This whole u2 Tax thing P155E5 me off no end. Bottom line....show me ONE person who wouldnt rather pay less taxes IF they could swing it and i will show you a liar!

Oh yes. I want to pay more taxes. Every year, I give the government a little extra money. And I ask them to keep any return they want to give me. I love paying taxes. Please make the tax rate higher so that I can pay more. In fact, take my whole check. I dont need all that money anyway. :)

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 09:07:50 AM »

I don't know about other people , but wanting to pay less taxes doesn't bother me one bit.

Wanting to pay less taxes in your own country then lobbying foreign governments to use their citizens' tax money for a pet cause bothers me a lot though.

Jara

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2012, 09:18:20 AM »
I dont see why it should bother anyone to be honest. . . i really dont get it. Its a sad day when people get on your back....for fighting for those who dont have a voice.
I dont work, coz of health issues....so i dont pay any taxes whatsoever. is it hypocritical of me to care about and want the best for the poor and needy of this world?

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2012, 09:33:03 AM »
I dont see why it should bother anyone to be honest. . .

Hypocrisy bothers me. Maybe it's just me though.

i really dont get it. Its a sad day when people get on your back....for fighting for those who dont have a voice.

Well, someone coming over to my country asking my President to spend my tax money on his causes when he has gone out of his way to limit his tax liability just doesn't sit well with me. I know I'm not alone in this. Regardless of the worthiness of the cause. 

I dont work, coz of health issues....so i dont pay any taxes whatsoever.

Maybe if you paid taxes you'd see why it bothers some people.