Author Topic: Lost your U2 mojo?  (Read 18679 times)

Jara

Re: Lost your U2 mojo?
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2012, 09:45:53 AM »

U2s total income from outwith Ireland accounts for about 98% of their income. So why shouldnt they base themselves internationally for tax reasons? Seems the appropriate thing to do from where i sit.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2012, 09:50:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

U2s total income from outwith Ireland accounts for about 98% of their income. So why shouldnt they base themselves internationally for tax reasons? Seems the appropriate thing to do from where i sit.

They should do what they can to minimize paying taxes.

But if you minimize paying taxes in your own country don't come to mine asking for my tax money for your cause. That just makes you a hypocrite.

Jara

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2012, 09:58:31 AM »

But if you minimize paying taxes in your own country don't come to mine asking for my tax money for your cause. That just makes you a hypocrite.
So...it would sit easier with you if bono was just another lazy, emotionally detached, rich b****** who didnt give a flying f*** about anyone or anyhting?

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2012, 10:25:10 AM »

So...it would sit easier with you if bono was just another lazy, emotionally detached, rich b****** who didnt give a flying f*** about anyone or anyhting?

No it would sit easier with me if Bono didn't come to my country asking for my tax money when he's taking steps to move his company's tax liability out of his own country.

You admittedly don't pay taxes, so I don't expect you to understand.

Jara

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2012, 10:31:57 AM »
Oh....i have paid PLENTY of taxes in the past....but i guess the fact my circumstances are different now, somehow makes my opinion is less valid, at least, in your world?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:36:03 AM by Smee »

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »
My understanding is that the individuals involved with U2 pay plenty of taxes, and that only a portion of the U2 corporation relocated.  I imagine Bono pays more in taxes each year than many of us will pay in a lifetime.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2012, 10:40:51 AM »
Oh....i have paid PLENTY of taxes in the past....but i guess the fact my circumstances are different now, somehow makes my opinion is less valid?

Well clearly you keep missing the point I'm making. I htought maybe that was a contributor. Obviously there's another reason.

Am I against his company minimizing it's tax liability in his home country ? As a standalone action, no.

Am I against his altruism and activism ? No

If Bono wants to lobby for my money directly for a charity/cause, fine.

But when he's lobbying for money my Government has already collected from me, well that's a lot different. As long as he's making effort into minimizing his own company's tax liability in his own country, him asking for my tax money makes him a hypocrite as far as I'm concerned.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2012, 10:43:41 AM »
My understanding is that the individuals involved with U2 pay plenty of taxes, and that only a portion of the U2 corporation relocated.  I imagine Bono pays more in taxes each year than many of us will pay in a lifetime.

Not the point.

The fact that he pays scads more in taxes than I do doesn't matter one whit.

I don't care if he's minimizing his tax liability in his own country by 1% or 99%, the fact that he's doing it all negates any right to lobby for even one penny of my tax $$ as far as I'm concerned.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2012, 10:54:57 AM »
Personally, I'd rather have my tax money go to Bono's causes than where it's currently going (military, war, a lot of other wasteful things I dont agree with).

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »
Apples and oranges as far as individual tax liability and corporate tax liability, in my opinion.  U2 as an entity must have hundreds of employees, and I assume they all pay taxes. Bono could've relocated out of Ireland to a tax haven a long time ago, many celebs do. I get people are pi**ed at Bono, but corporate U2 (which Bono does not control) and its tax situation is not the same as Bono and his own personal tax situation,  but I get it, perception is reality.

Offline Antrim Boy

• Babyface
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »
Personally, I'd rather have my tax money go to Bono's causes than where it's currently going (military, war, a lot of other wasteful things I dont agree with).

Yes but it also pays for schools, hospitals, conservation, foreign aid, the arts and basic public services we all need. If we could pick and choose what we pay taxes for we'd be in a worse financial state than we are in now and the people we "want taxes to go to" would suffer even more.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »

Yes but it also pays for schools, hospitals, conservation, foreign aid, the arts and basic public services we all need. If we could pick and choose what we pay taxes for we'd be in a worse financial state than we are in now and the people we "want taxes to go to" would suffer even more.

Well, my government is having some serious problems appropriating funds... I wish I could elect where my taxes go. As a pacifist, I dont support the current war in the middle east. I'd rather have MY money go towards stuff I care about, ie, the above mentioned public services, school, parks, etc.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2012, 11:57:37 AM »
This whole u2 Tax thing P155E5 me off no end. Bottom line....show me ONE person who wouldnt rather pay less taxes IF they could swing it and i will show you a liar!

I don't know about other people , but wanting to pay less taxes doesn't bother me one bit.

Me neither.  In fact I would like EVERYONE to pay less tax, especially hardworking families on far modest incomes than U2. 

Wanting to pay less taxes in your own country then lobbying foreign governments to use their citizens' tax money for a pet cause bothers me a lot though.

Hypocrisy bothers me too.

Jara

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2012, 12:07:25 PM »
Well...call me naive...but i think the fact that there are people who are prepared to put so much effort into improving life for countless millions of people is way more important than where that person choses to pay his or her taxes. bare in mind, this isnt a fashion statement from Bono...he has activley been campaigning on behalf of the poor since WAY before u2 were coining it in, before even Live Aid was a concept!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2012, 12:08:10 PM »
Apples and oranges as far as individual tax liability and corporate tax liability, in my opinion.  U2 as an entity must have hundreds of employees, and I assume they all pay taxes. Bono could've relocated out of Ireland to a tax haven a long time ago, many celebs do. I get people are pi**ed at Bono, but corporate U2 (which Bono does not control) and its tax situation is not the same as Bono and his own personal tax situation,  but I get it, perception is reality.

I agree with this.  And as you say, perception matters and so it's damaging to Bono's credibility when he calls on other people to pay taxes to fund his pet causes.

I still don't know how much income tax Bono & Co actually pay in Ireland, where as I know how much Elton John and Sting pay in the UK.  I wonder if any Irish fans can access Ireland's company accounts the way we can in the UK and put some meat on the bones.