Author Topic: Lost your U2 mojo?  (Read 18326 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Lost your U2 mojo?
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well...call me naive...but i think the fact that there are people who are prepared to put so much effort into improving life for countless millions of people is way more important than where that person choses to pay his or her taxes. bare in mind, this isnt a fashion statement from Bono...he has activley been campaigning on behalf of the poor since WAY before u2 were coining it in, before even Live Aid was a concept!

Bono can still do all this AND pay his taxes in his home country, like U2 were happy to do for decades when wealthy artists in Ireland had generous tax reliefs of royalties. 

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »
Well...call me naive...but i think the fact that there are people who are prepared to put so much effort into improving life for countless millions of people is way more important than where that person choses to pay his or her taxes. bare in mind, this isnt a fashion statement from Bono...he has activley been campaigning on behalf of the poor since WAY before u2 were coining it in, before even Live Aid was a concept!

Bono can still do all this AND pay his taxes in his home country, like U2 were happy to do for decades when wealthy artists in Ireland had generous tax reliefs of royalties. 

And again Smee missed the issue some of us have.

It's like watching David Beckham trying to score a penalty at the World cup.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2012, 12:34:51 PM »
I dont see why it should bother anyone to be honest. . . i really dont get it. Its a sad day when people get on your back....for fighting for those who dont have a voice.
I dont work, coz of health issues....so i dont pay any taxes whatsoever. is it hypocritical of me to care about and want the best for the poor and needy of this world?

It's just incredibly simpleminded to cast the issue in terms of "wanting to pay more or fewer taxes." I'm not singling you out, mate, it happens here in the U.S. all the time. The fact is, when a company like General Electric pays no taxes at all, something is wrong with the system (that GE helped create for themselves).

Jara

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2012, 02:05:01 PM »

If there was a proper injustice in this...enuff to make me feel agreived..i might even be prepared to agree with you. Your whole arguement is based on..if you dont pay taxes in your own country, dont come to my country, with cap in hand, to help you and your pet projects. Well i couldnt care less where or if anyone pays taxes or not. The imprtant thing to me is that they care enuff about people, to try and change the world for the better.

There are plenty bigger injustices going on in this world to worry about, way more than where a man pays his taxes. Tell me, to all those who obviously have an agenda with Bono....whats the real reasons behind the ill feeling? i dont for a minute believe it stems from the whole tax situation. mibees u2 shunned your hometown on the last tour or something?

Offline Antrim Boy

• Babyface
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2012, 02:20:21 PM »
I'm wondering if our differences of opinion on this tax thing may be a left-right divider here. Just wondering (not stirring).

I really don't understand the point of view of people who say 'why should we care U2 do with their taxes? Don't we all want to pay less tax'? Well, speaking personally I'm happy to pay tax because I know the good it does. I can see from first hand the good work of full-time carers in our fine hospitals, the great art galleries that are free for all to see and the hard work teachers do to help our young people grow as human beings. So do you really think that paying less tax is a good thing for all these people? Any sane, rational person would say of course not. I work with colleagues who are directly involved in public services politics and know first hand of the daily difficulties of men and women who work very hard to do all this and rely upon our tax dollars to put food on the table. And yet all these right-wingers with friends in big business go on and on the size of 'bloated' public services which means every single one of their precious jobs are on the line. It's very easy to give a glib 'so what' to those who avoid tax but I do care if tax is avoided. That money which is being lost is not helping those hospitals who desperately need vital equipment, those teachers who already overworked and underappreciated and those galleries who have to sell their prized possessions to make ends meet.

So, sorry if I'm out of step with y'all who seem to think it's perfectly ok for people to avoid tax - I'm very happy to pay tax to ensure we have good public servants doing the great work that they do. I'll get off my soapbox now. [/rant]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:26:39 PM by Antrim Boy »

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2012, 02:25:36 PM »
So, Antrim Boy, I assume you never take deductions in your taxes then? You just freely give out what the government asks for without looking for ways to cut down the amount you owe? How valorous!

Offline Antrim Boy

• Babyface
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »
So, Antrim Boy, I assume you never take deductions in your taxes then? You just freely give out what the government asks for without looking for ways to cut down the amount you owe? How valorous!

Stupid question...of course I do.  And no I don't seek out ways to avoid tax....honestly, I don't and I don't know anyone who does. ANYONE. Weird, that? Hmm.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2012, 02:34:23 PM »
I take any and all deductions I can... Isnt that kind of like tax avoidance?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »
Tell me, to all those who obviously have an agenda with Bono....whats the real reasons behind the ill feeling? i dont for a minute believe it stems from the whole tax situation. mibees u2 shunned your hometown on the last tour or something?

I don't have an 'agenda' with Bono, as a matter of fact I think Bono is one of the most remarkable people of his generation.  I just feel that Bono/U2 have lost a lot of credibility in order to swell their already swollen money bags that bit more.  So it just doesn't sit well with me when Bono exhorts my country to be generous with my taxes in our overseas aid/development budget (not that my country needs persuading by Bono), while he and U2 are busy minimizing their taxes through offshore companies, and it never will.  Although I accept opinion is divided on this issue on the forum.  I feel especially disappointed with their decision because for years I naively thought that U2 weren't obsessed with making money and accumulating wealth, unlike the Stones for example, but in recent years I've realised that that is what they're about.

And I am pi**ed off with U2 for playing yet another European tour in stadiums, and that is largely about screwing as much money as possible out of their fans too.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:48:22 PM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2012, 02:44:17 PM »

They just exist to give the little person the illusion that we're getting one over on the government and so make us feel better.  In reality, the little person will be getting royally screwed by the government.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:58:28 PM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline Antrim Boy

• Babyface
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »
Tell me, to all those who obviously have an agenda with Bono....whats the real reasons behind the ill feeling? i dont for a minute believe it stems from the whole tax situation. mibees u2 shunned your hometown on the last tour or something?

I don't have an 'agenda' with Bono, as a matter of fact I think Bono is one of the most remarkable people of his generation.  I just feel that Bono/U2 have lost a lot of credibility in order to swell their already money bags that bit more.  So it just doesn't sit well with me when Bono exhorts my country to be generous with my taxes in our overseas aid/development budget (not that my country needs persuading by Bono), while he and U2 are busy minimizing their taxes through offshore companies, and it never will.  Although I accept opinion is divided on this issue on the forum.  I feel especially disappointed with their decision because for years I naively thought that U2 weren't obsessed with making money and accumulating wealth, unlike the Stones for example, but in recent years I've realised that that is what they're about.

+1...

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2012, 02:52:15 PM »

If there was a proper injustice in this...enuff to make me feel agreived..i might even be prepared to agree with you. Your whole arguement is based on..if you dont pay taxes in your own country, dont come to my country, with cap in hand, to help you and your pet projects. Well i couldnt care less where or if anyone pays taxes or not. The imprtant thing to me is that they care enuff about people, to try and change the world for the better.

There are plenty bigger injustices going on in this world to worry about, way more than where a man pays his taxes. Tell me, to all those who obviously have an agenda with Bono....whats the real reasons behind the ill feeling? i dont for a minute believe it stems from the whole tax situation. mibees u2 shunned your hometown on the last tour or something?

My hometown get plenty of shows. Never gets missed.

If you don't get why it bothers me then fair enough. I pay taxes, and a foreigner who makes moves to not pay them in his own country but wants to use my tax money for his pet causes, worthwhile or not is a hypocrite who is not entitled to a voice in how my pennies get used.

The end.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2012, 02:54:44 PM »

No.

It's avoidance if you're taking a deduction you're not entitled to.

Offline u2fanBarb...barely conscious

• Stateless
  • Hangin' by my thumbs...
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2012, 03:50:44 PM »
I lost it a few months ago when I was going through a period of some pretty serious depression. Surgery and a near death experience afterward put my head at a strange place....I lost interest in U2 and a lot of other things. Gradually, though, I'm getting it back and- it's like I'm almost experiencing  their music for the first time and makes me understand why I became an addict of it in the first place.

Offline teacher_mommy_u2fan

• Stateless
  • Dreaming Out Loud
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »
I'm one of those fans who just loves this band and their music, period. Do I love every song they have ever recorded? Absolutely not, but there is not a single album that I despise either. Does Bono (whom I adore) ever irritate the heck the out of me? Yes, many times and recently too, but the message in his lyrics keeps me coming back. Have I gone through periods where I don't listen them to them as often? Yes but that's always been more a matter of time and not listening to much music at all. Do I think they hit they're peak in the 90's? Sadly, maybe so, but they were in their 30s and could truly be experimental without being ridiculous. Bono tried to push the envelope (and poorly so) with the guyliner look and got slammed. How experimental can you be when you're 50 without coming across as ridiculous and desperate? We, as fans, cannot have it both it ways. As long as they are still making music and touring, I will still be buying their albums and tickets. Say what you will, but no other band has spoken to me in quite the same as this one, and I'm going to continue to listen.