Author Topic: Lost your U2 mojo?  (Read 19856 times)

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
Re: Lost your U2 mojo?
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2012, 06:33:57 PM »
This is a great topic.  I wish you would start a new one (back to the subject matter at hand) and have the usual "experts" just post on that one.

Ive lost my U2 mojo more than once.   The first was when AB came out.   I was seriously in need of a new album from them and with the exception of Mysterious Ways, was grossly underwhelmed.    I liked Zooropa better than AB but then totally lost it when Discotheque led off Pop.   I was interested in SATS and Please but it was relatively short lived.   HUGE HUGE mojo-building return for me with ATYCLB and Bomb.   Having said all that, I wouldnt have missed a show regardless of their recordings.    I thought Popmart was their best.   Fast-forward to present day.   I bought tix to see 360 but ended up selling them.   I thought NLOTH was okay but it seriously missed its potential, courtesy of SPIDERMAN (should be a four letter word).    I currently have very little mo2jo but I still at least visit this fan site.   Will I get it back?     

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2012, 06:44:34 PM »
It's kind of weird for me to read people losing their mojo at AB... when that's the album that grabbed me, made me a fan. But I guess a lot of the people who were with the band early on were worried about this change in direction, eh?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2012, 07:33:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's kind of weird for me to read people losing their mojo at AB... when that's the album that grabbed me, made me a fan. But I guess a lot of the people who were with the band early on were worried about this change in direction, eh?
I wasn't with the band early on, but I was a fan during their pre-AB days - since 1988, and I can honestly say I thought it was an incredibly exciting time to be a fan; I loved the whole reinvention of music & image, and UTEOTW became my new favourite song the instant I first heard it.  And amazingly, at the same, R.E.M were going through their epic era, and Prince's music had also gone in a new direction.  Interesting times for me as a fan of all three, and what's more, as I was in my late teens, I was at the perfect age to experience it all.  So I guess you can say that was one of my 'peaks'. :)  Post Zooropa tour was a 'trough', and Passengers passed me by like a train heading in the wrong direction.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2012, 07:46:58 PM »
I wasn't with the band early on, but I was a fan during their pre-AB days - since 1988, and I can honestly say I thought it was an incredibly exciting time to be a fan; I loved the whole reinvention of music & image, and UTEOTW became my new favourite song the instant I first heard it.  And amazingly, at the same, R.E.M were going through their epic era, and Prince's music had also gone in a new direction.  Interesting times for me as a fan of all three, and what's more, as I was in my late teens, I was at the perfect age to experience it all.  So I guess you can say that was one of my 'peaks'. :)  Post Zooropa tour was a 'trough', and Passengers passed me by like a train heading in the wrong direction.

Yeah, I cant imagine anything better than AB, honestly. I mean, when that album came out, I listened to it like twice a day, every day. It really, really spoke to me. Acrobat was my favorite song... I mean, what angsty, confused teenager (as I was) couldn't get behind the line, "And I'd join the movement, if there was one I could believe in. Yeah, I'd break bread and wine, if there was a church I could receive in... Cuz I NEED IT NOW!" :)

But man. I mean, I knew of U2 before that album... I fell in love with the band when that album came out. It was the first U2 album I ever owned, in fact. I still love Mysterious Ways, too, because that was the song I heard on the radio that made me buy the album. I just cant imagine my teenage year without AB.

I loved Zooropa a lot too. It came out the summer I graduated from high school. It fit the mood of the time for me, too. I loved Dirty Day, the lines "These days, days, days run away like horses over the hill." Also described where I was at at that time. My whole life was about to change and I was excited and scared at the same time.

I missed out on the whole Pop thing. I was worried about what U2 had become with the lead-off Discotheque. (I love that song now, btw.) I dont think I was ready for that change. I had heard the album sucked and so I never bought it (shame on me). I had all of U2's back catalog by then... I guess I lost my mojo during that period. I came back to them with ATYCLB and, yeah, I like that album a lot now. I liked it okay at the time, but I felt there was a huge change from the U2 I fell in love with...

I now own Pop, love it, and realize it was probably a mistake to ignore U2 at that time. PopMart looked like it was a great tour. My bad!!

HTDAAB and NLOTH both brought my mojo back. But not like it was as a teenager.

Offline ZooTV8

• Stateless
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2012, 08:04:29 PM »
U2 mojo beginning to wain.  Keep thinking about Bono's quote about "who needs ANOTHER U2 album."  The answer is clear.  I do.  Looking forward to the possibility that (a least a portion of) The Edge's upcoming MTV documentary film score will be available for charitable download.  Twitter @VelcroBoatShoes Lance A Schart, Chicago, IL USA

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2012, 03:16:39 AM »
Um, no.  Has there been some instances where I wish they would have made different decisions? Sure.  The running order to HTDAAB bugs me and it sounds overdone in spots.  Not releasing MOS or at least Magnificent as the first single off NLOTH was a bad move.  I fully believe that if Boots had just been an album track and not the lead single, people wouldn't have complained about it so much and the album itself would have garnered more attention.  I mean, I like the song and all, but leading with it came off as them trying to relive Vertigo.  But, overall, my favorite band continues to put out quality work that inspires and moves me three decades into their career.  That is a rare and special thing.  I'm just sitting back and enjoying the ride.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2012, 05:33:38 AM »
Never lost my mojo, I know when it's time to listen to something else and wait for that itch to come back (admittedly it takes a while nowadays) Over the past ten years I don't feel like I've changed my perception of U2 but sadly they've changed my perception of them. They've done things I would never of thought they would do, they've (seemingly) compromised their music for 'the pop kids' that they claimed they did not need. Beforehand it was just to good to ignore. They've become business men. They've almost become celebrity - a tightrope that they need to get off and quick. They've tried so desperately to keep up with the times, and that is what it all comes down to, not wanting to be left behind 'Look we're hip, I got an I-pod WAIT FOR MEEEE'. It's just so obvious, too obvious - like a middle aged man sucking in his gut for the ladies at the beach. Heck maybe that's part of the resentment, we see them getting old and we know that that means we are too, damn them for it!

U2 have almost embraced becoming just another band in the big wide world, just happy to be here - they've let their past define their importance. It feels like the world is just waiting for them to go away. The goodwill towards them was at all time peak on the Elevation tour and yet by the time Vertigo had ended it seemed they'd spent it in a rush of hit singles and over confidence. Look at Bono on the Elevation tour - I see a humble man, a man of the people, no BS, a fantastic performer who was moving, uplifting and aggressive in equal measure. Look at him on the Vertigo tour where he brought the preacher rock star complete with 'stage moves' and he whacked that baby up to the point where not even their staunchest defenders could ignore how crass and overblown it had become. By the time you get to 360 it's a very tired band, still able to put on good shows of course - they can do that with their eyes closed, why should that be so remarkable?  We laud them for being the best yet patronise them for being able to still play.

Do I think they're content with where they currently sit? Hell no, and that is a very good thing indeed. After all if there is no problem then why liken the now to '89. Why push the need for re-birth and relevancy if they're satisfied with where they are. They could easily just carry on as they are a la the dear ol' Stones and we'll all blindly follow whilst complaining and praising the good old days when U2 put on new and fresh sets in the 360 days :) I know most of it is just Bono mouthing off, but in hindsight his mouthing off is usually a good indicator of intentions at least if not always the final product.

They had a chance to show a different path for the old guard, to forage new ground in an expanding career - and they still might. The mojo and faith are still intact for me. Bottom line is it doesn't matter how many ads, or corporate dollars they accept for the privilege of touring the world or how many compilations we get in the next ten years, or how much crap Jabba spouts or EVEN if Edge continues to wear that bloody Madonna mic on stage, none of it can ever change what the songs have always done and will always do.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:17:28 AM by Bads316 »

Jara

« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2012, 06:57:36 AM »
I would say, my biggest ever WTF moment regarding u2, came when i heard the opening seconds of the very first AB track i ever heard. I was gobsmakced...the impact that the opening of Zoo Station had....for a fan at that time....was indescribeable. To go from Rattle and hum to that, wow....it was truly unbelievable

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2012, 11:12:31 AM »
I would say, my biggest ever WTF moment regarding u2, came when i heard the opening seconds of the very first AB track i ever heard. I was gobsmakced...the impact that the opening of Zoo Station had....for a fan at that time....was indescribeable. To go from Rattle and hum to that, wow....it was truly unbelievable

Yeah, I think in order for someone to understand how much of a sucker-punch AB was they needed to have been a big fan during at least part of the '80s. Stumbling upon their catalogue all at once won't do justice to AB's uniqueness.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »

Yeah, I think in order for someone to understand how much of a sucker-punch AB was they needed to have been a big fan during at least part of the '80s. Stumbling upon their catalogue all at once won't do justice to AB's uniqueness.

I guess for me as someone who became a U2 fan with AB, I see the whole thing backwards. To me, it's AB as the sound of U2... and all the stuff before was the U2 before AB. And, yes, October is my favorite album... for entirely different reasons... but AB still stands alone in my head as the definitive U2 record. Which I guess makes me a second generation fan.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »

I guess for me as someone who became a U2 fan with AB, I see the whole thing backwards. To me, it's AB as the sound of U2... and all the stuff before was the U2 before AB. And, yes, October is my favorite album... for entirely different reasons... but AB still stands alone in my head as the definitive U2 record. Which I guess makes me a second generation fan.

Don't feel bad about being a second generation fan. At least you're not a third generationer, right?

Relax everyone, I use my elitism as a defense mechanism to cover up all my insecurities....

satellitedog01

« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »
LOL :-)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2012, 12:03:01 PM »

Don't feel bad about being a second generation fan. At least you're not a third generationer, right?

Relax everyone, I use my elitism as a defense mechanism to cover up all my insecurities....

I wasnt getting defensive! Really, I wasnt. I should have put a smiley after that. :) I was just making the observation that I must be a second generation fan. Which is fine. It's just weird when AB impacted your life as much as it did mine and you realized that that same album was a jumping off point for a lot of fans. I'm actually very surprised. AB usually gets really great reviews by people on this forum.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2012, 12:21:17 PM »

I wasnt getting defensive! Really, I wasnt. I should have put a smiley after that. :) I was just making the observation that I must be a second generation fan. Which is fine. It's just weird when AB impacted your life as much as it did mine and you realized that that same album was a jumping off point for a lot of fans. I'm actually very surprised. AB usually gets really great reviews by people on this forum.

Nah, I wasn't reading any defensiveness into your statement, I just saw it as a chance to take a dig at the 3G-ers!

U2 fandom is kind of like A Brave New World where Alphas are glad they're Alphas, while Betas are glad they're not Alphas (because that would be too much pressure), but they're really glad they're not Gammas (because they're lame).

I'm bored.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »
The sad thing is that I understood that analogy... :)