Author Topic: Rumour: U2 guest appearance at Kings of Leon gig  (Read 9418 times)

Offline Crimo

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Rumour: U2 guest appearance at Kings of Leon gig
« on: October 28, 2008, 07:01:15 AM »
Hi All

I am from Dublin and a big u2/kings of leon fan. I have heard from two fairly reliable sources that u2 is meant to make a guest appearance at the Kings of Leon gig in The O2 Dublin (formally the Point Theatre Dublin) on the 19th of Dec. Could anyone confirm or denie this?? I just thought I would raise it in here to see weather any u2 experts could validate this rumour.

Thanks

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Rumour: U2 guest appearance at Kings of Leon gig
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Greetings from Cork, l am also going to the KOL gig on December 19th. Have been following KOL since their debut came out.

Thats an interesting rumour, I heard about this rumour a few weeks back, but it was more about U2 doing support for KOL, I didn't pay it that much attention, but if true it would mean U2 would be reprising what KOL did for them on the 1st leg of Vertigo tour in the U.S. in 2005.

My original thinking was that, I found it really strange, that the first act to perform at the new Dublin O2 venue was the Kings Of Leon, I thought there might be an opening night there prior to Dec. 19th, with a host of Irish acts for example, including U2, but with just 7 weeks to ago, this is more and more unlikely.

The first act to perform a ticketed performance at the old Point was, believe it or not, Huey Lewis and the news, but U2 anaraks will say that the first act to perform there was U2 as they did their R & H studio rehersals there in 1988,before it opened up as a venue!

If the KOL gig does turn out to be the first O2 gig, then I am expecting something special, but I just don't know what yet !

Offline Crimo

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:41:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Greetings from Cork, l am also going to the KOL gig on December 19th. Have been following KOL since their debut came out.

Thats an interesting rumour, I heard about this rumour a few weeks back, but it was more about U2 doing support for KOL, I didn't pay it that much attention, but if true it would mean U2 would be reprising what KOL did for them on the 1st leg of Vertigo tour in the U.S. in 2005.

My original thinking was that, I found it really strange, that the first act to perform at the new Dublin O2 venue was the Kings Of Leon, I thought there might be an opening night there prior to Dec. 19th, with a host of Irish acts for example, including U2, but with just 7 weeks to ago, this is more and more unlikely.

The first act to perform a ticketed performance at the old Point was, believe it or not, Huey Lewis and the news, but U2 anaraks will say that the first act to perform there was U2 as they did their R & H studio rehersals there in 1988,before it opened up as a venue!

If the KOL gig does turn out to be the first O2 gig, then I am expecting something special, but I just don't know what yet !

I think odds are in  our favour being the opening night of the point I wouldn't be suprised if u2 show they have big interest in the docklands area of the city. U2 have also been big promoter of KOL for some time now. Finally U2 have been working on the new album might try and follow along the same lines of what REM's did last summer testing out new songs and material in an informal setting. To be honest things are just hearsay at the mo would like to know exactly where this rumour is coming from? We probably won't know until the night if it was really true. But it would be some night to put you in the xmas spirit! U2 are probably the best live band around however I have seen KOL twice in the past year or so and I think their getting very close to being as good! Don't know why more u2 fans don't listen to them in particular their new album some guitar solo very similar to Edge.

Alton Dalton

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 03:15:07 PM »

I think odds are in  our favour being the opening night of the point I wouldn't be suprised if u2 show they have big interest in the docklands area of the city. U2 have also been big promoter of KOL for some time now. Finally U2 have been working on the new album might try and follow along the same lines of what REM's did last summer testing out new songs and material in an informal setting. To be honest things are just hearsay at the mo would like to know exactly where this rumour is coming from? We probably won't know until the night if it was really true. But it would be some night to put you in the xmas spirit! U2 are probably the best live band around however I have seen KOL twice in the past year or so and I think their getting very close to being as good! Don't know why more u2 fans don't listen to them in particular their new album some guitar solo very similar to Edge.

Yes, I also heard about this a few weeks back. Given the connectons U2 have with the old Point Depot, Live Nation and the Docklands area in general, and considering the ties (and similar fanbase) the two bands share, it would be quite fitting for U2 to do something on Dec 19th.

Here's hoping, eh??

Offline edgefan89

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 04:29:13 PM »
I really don't see U2 opening for any band... ever again.

ESPECIALLY in their hometown... and ESPECIALLY for a band that once supported them! Kings of Leon have gotten pretty huge since 'Sex on Fire' - however, they are still nowhere near as big as Bono and the boys.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 06:18:19 PM »
I really don't see U2 opening for any band... ever again.

ESPECIALLY in their hometown... and ESPECIALLY for a band that once supported them! Kings of Leon have gotten pretty huge since 'Sex on Fire' - however, they are still nowhere near as big as Bono and the boys.

Agreed. I could see a guest appearance being much more likely than being an opening act for anyone else.

Offline Mirai

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:46:39 AM »
I'm not saying I disagree, but if U2 ever did open for anyone ever again it would be because the world sees them the way you do...

Offline eggman

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 07:23:29 PM »
I do not understand the last reply

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 08:09:28 PM »
There is no band in the world that would have U2 as a supporting/opening act, they are just to DAMN BIG!

:D

mariamontreal

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 10:50:07 AM »
U2 as an opening act ? Where in the world did that come from . Makes no sense at all , appearing with other musicians , yes, opening act no way . Am I missing something here ?

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:14:55 AM »
Probably came from articles like this:

and also this giant hoarding errected outside the new venue last July:

u2.com had this piece describing the giant hoarding:
"11.07.2008
You Are Now Entering...
...the Northside. It's three storeys high and you can't miss it when you cross the Liffey.

The band's connections with The Point Depot in Dublin go way back and with the area now being redeveloped, this week a gigantic hoarding appeared capturing U2 when their debut album Boy was released"

So the teeth to the story is more about them appearing at the O2 - Dublin, but as the album release plans changed, (which was after the above articles were released)and it transpired the new material would not be ready in time for the O2 opening, the story developed. A guest appearance at the O2 is probably the most likely outcome.

But I wouldn't underestimate the close relationship between U2 and this venue: in their home town, Europe’s first custom designed music(as in, they won't be having any sports there) ,a venue they used as a rehersal studio, and a close relationship with Harry Crosbie.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:16:47 AM by Falling At Your Feet »

Alton Dalton

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 04:19:18 PM »
Looks like the first concert in the O2 in Dublin will now be on the 16th December.

Whatever about U2 doing a guest appearance at KOL, I really can't see them showing up for this one. 8)

daveyg

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 06:22:18 AM »
I met one of their employees and asked them recently about this. I was met with a smile and a "well I'm out for a meal with my missus that night". Dunno if that means anything!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 06:16:42 AM by daveyg »

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 08:11:15 AM »
I'm glad this forum has you daveyg!  You are great without any Dublin connection, but it is so nice that you are located on the U2 front lines!  Thanks for keeping the rest of us updated.

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 03:01:14 PM »
How cool would it be to be at that gig?!  I'm loving KOL's new album and to have U2(!!!) open for them would be amazing.

Can't wait to see how it all plays out...

~L