Author Topic: Is there an Ignore User function?  (Read 1813 times)

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
Is there an Ignore User function?
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:02:16 AM »
Is there an Ignore User function? If not, pleasepleaseplease make? And make it so effective that the you won't even know when the user you blocked posts something in a thread you are reading (no line that says "ass-you-blocked posted something here. Wanna read it?")

With the band on hiatus, discussion content becomes... subjective  ::)

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Is there an Ignore User function?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:02:04 AM »
I wouldn't mind an ignore thread function either.  If I could just filter out inane users and inane threads...

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:10:33 AM »
With threads it's easier. Just don't click into it. And for the love of God, don't reply to it, if not it will be stuck in your "Show new replies to your posts" list forever (anytime someone replies)

But with users you wish to avoid, it's much harder

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:47:51 PM »
I'll tell you what I did to semi-ignore one user.  There is (was?) one prolific poster who didn't add much to the conversations.  I got to the point where his avatar would immediately register a negative response from me.  I got tired of seeing his avatar all over the place.  So finally I used my ad-block tool to block his avatar.  I still see his posts, but at least I removed the automatic negative stigma associated with his avatar.  So now I don't notice his posts as much.

I don't use the show new replies features.  I bookmark the "unread" view of each board.  That way I see only the ones I haven't read.  I read the ones I'm interested in, the "Mark as Read" the rest of them.  Very nice and clutter free except for when dumb stuff like the Ultimate Song Tournaments breed like cockroaches and they're constantly in my view obscuring other threads.

Here's an example of an unread view - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  The default skin included these links.  The current skin doesn't show these links, so you have to bookmark the links to make use of them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:49:25 PM by jw »

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:13:40 PM »
I do understand where you are coming from but as long as a member is not breaking forum rules, there is not too much you can do about it as it stands right now.

Sorry but you 'll have to do the ignoring all on your own .

Unfortunately , as a mod , I cannot ignore any thread though there have been times I wish I could :)

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 05:44:52 PM »
If I click on my profile, then choose "Modify Profile," I see an option that lets me ignore boards and another option that says "Buddies/Ignore List..." -- pretty sure that does what you want it to do, but haven't tried it myself.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »
You also have to go into the "Look and Feel" option of your profile settings and make sure to click the checkbox that says:

"Hide messages posted by members on my ignore list."

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 06:13:25 PM »
Thanks m2, that was exactly what I was looking for. The "Hide posts from blocked user" is checked as a default under "Look and Layout". That's good. Unfortunately there's still a line telling you that user-you-blocked has posted something in a thread you are reading, but ah well. Thanks ;)

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »
I didn't know that option was there.  That's pretty cool.  Yeah, I would prefer an outright ignore a user to the point where the posts are just flat-out hidden. But still not bad.  It still saves me a little reading time.

Thanks!