Poll

Which song do you prefer?

Stay (Faraway So Close!)
30 (55.6%)
Love Is Blindness
24 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: March 10, 2012, 10:54:31 AM

Author Topic: 2012 Ultimate U2 Song Tournament: Round 3 - Match 8  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
Re: 2012 Ultimate U2 Song Tournament: Round 3 - Match 8
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 09:42:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I thought the ZOOTV 'Stay' was pretty good to be honest - nowhere near the studio version but pretty good. Since then it's seemed pretty pointless.

i feel this way about ALL the live acoustic stuff now. It's all pointless and zzzzz inducing

Thing is, U2 have got a fair bit of material that would really lend itself to an acoustic setting but it's always Desire/AOH/Stuck/Stay.... rinse and repeat, songs that we want to hear full band (or not at all ;))

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 09:46:17 AM »
I thought the ZOOTV 'Stay' was pretty good to be honest - nowhere near the studio version but pretty good. Since then it's seemed pretty pointless.

i feel this way about ALL the live acoustic stuff now. It's all pointless and zzzzz inducing

Thing is, U2 have got a fair bit of material that would really lend itself to an acoustic setting but it's always Desire/AOH/Stuck/Stay.... rinse and repeat, songs that we want to hear full band (or not at all ;))

Yea but they managed to do a full band <i.e. "REAL"> version of Desire on 360 i remember. And i heard the "REAL" version of SATS on a Popmart bootleg recently, yea that song doesn't translate well live at all imo. Gimme "REAL" or dont play it at all.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2012, 10:00:35 AM »

Yea but they managed to do a full band <i.e. "REAL"> version of Desire on 360 i remember. And i heard the "REAL" version of SATS on a Popmart bootleg recently, yea that song doesn't translate well live at all imo. Gimme "REAL" or dont play it at all.
No way was the 360 'full band' version of Desire a 'real' version of Desire.  You have to go back to the early '90s for that.  Back then, The Edge's red guitar really was on fire, and the rest of the band too.

And Zoo Stay was a full band version at it's core, but without the bells and whistles that makes the studio version so fine.  Still, a much better version than the acoustic shtick they've trotted out every time they've played it since.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 10:46:39 AM »

No way was the 360 'full band' version of Desire a 'real' version of Desire.  You have to go back to the early '90s for that.  Back then, The Edge's red guitar really was on fire, and the rest of the band too.

And Zoo Stay was a full band version at it's core, but without the bells and whistles that makes the studio version so fine.  Still, a much better version than the acoustic shtick they've trotted out every time they've played it since.

True, again, Zoo TV did everything better. That Desire was the "REAL" Desire.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2012, 03:36:17 PM »
Acoustic Stay in Toronto 1 in 2009 made me tear up.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »
Acoustic Stay in Toronto 1 in 2009 made me tear up.

Oh. Yea it made me wanna cry too......