Poll

Which song do you prefer?

Gone
25 (49%)
Even Better Than The Real Thing
26 (51%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: March 12, 2012, 12:47:43 PM

Author Topic: 2012 Ultimate U2 Song Tournament: Round 3 - Match 10  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
Re: 2012 Ultimate U2 Song Tournament: Round 3 - Match 10
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 02:23:32 PM »
Gone

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 03:38:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Most overrated song on Pop (Don't get me wrong, it's great but it's not in my top five or so on Pop, I think) vs what was the most underrated song on AB prior to 2011. EBTTRT all the way!

I think Acrobat was and still is the most underrated song from AB.

This makes no sense to me, unless you mean by the band rather than this boards. The sheer obsession of fandom with hearing 'Acrobat' live vastly outweighs the (very high) quality of the song, IMO.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »
Indeed.

There isn't really any song from Achtung Baby that is underrated. All of them (save for maybe Tryin') are held in quite high regard across the board for U2 fans and critics.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »
Indeed.

There isn't really any song from Achtung Baby that is underrated. All of them (save for maybe Tryin') are held in quite high regard across the board for U2 fans and critics.

ive heard people bash WGRYWH, calling it something that belonged on R&H, which ill never understand. But yes the obsession of Acrobat live wouldnt be there if it wasnt for the non-playing of it live. ha

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »
Most overrated song on Pop (Don't get me wrong, it's great but it's not in my top five or so on Pop, I think) vs what was the most underrated song on AB prior to 2011. EBTTRT all the way!

I think Acrobat was and still is the most underrated song from AB.

This makes no sense to me, unless you mean by the band rather than this boards. The sheer obsession of fandom with hearing 'Acrobat' live vastly outweighs the (very high) quality of the song, IMO.

The popularity of this song is very low considering it's awesomeness.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 03:50:15 PM »
Indeed.

ive heard people bash WGRYWH, calling it something that belonged on R&H, which ill never understand. But yes the obsession of Acrobat live wouldnt be there if it wasnt for the non-playing of it live. ha

Agreed. If they had played Acrobat a few times on Zoo TV, I honestly think there would be very little constant furor to see it live.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »
Indeed.

Agreed. If they had played Acrobat a few times on Zoo TV, I honestly think there would be very little constant furor to see it live.
You mean like Zooropa?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2012, 03:52:19 PM »
Indeed.

at least So Cruel got snippeted, maybe played live in full i dont remember i just know i have a bootleg where they play the first verse, chorus then stop haha

• Holy Joe
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »
Indeed.

You mean like Zooropa?

Yup. Zooropa got NOTHING like the furor Acrobat got until they actually played it. :P Would have gotten even less if they'd played it more than they did on Zoo TV, and played it properly.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »
It can't just be that Acrobat never got played live. There are many songs U2 has never performed live that don't come close to the demand for Acrobat.

I don't see many obsessing over Some Days Are Better Than Others or When I Look At The World.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2012, 04:00:58 PM »
Indeed.

You mean like Zooropa?

Yup. Zooropa got NOTHING like the furor Acrobat got until they actually played it. :P Would have gotten even less if they'd played it more than they did on Zoo TV, and played it properly.

If they had played Acrobat live in all its awesomeness, then people would be clamouring for its return, but because it wasn't and because it didn't get a single release like The Real Thing did, it remains underrated by this forum, by the general public/casual fans and I suspect the band themsleves.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »
I don't see many obsessing over Some Days Are Better Than Others or When I Look At The World.

Those songs aren't underrated because they aren't as awesome as Acrobat.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2012, 04:07:31 PM »
To each their own. Acrobat bores me to tears.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2012, 04:09:07 PM »
It can't just be that Acrobat never got played live. There are many songs U2 has never performed live that don't come close to the demand for Acrobat.

Oh, I'm not saying that it's *just* that; it's also an excellent song in a way that they aren't, and from the most universally beloved album (by fans of all) to boot. Brilliant song + amazing fan favourite album + never played live + only song from said amazing album to not appear (kind of) + Rehearsed on beloved tour = HUGE demand. Remove the last three and you merely get "big demand". :P

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2012, 04:09:46 PM »
To each their own. Acrobat bores me to tears.

And it's opinions like that which indicate the awesome Acrobat is underrated.  The number of those who wish it's return to the live stage are definitely in a minority on this forum.