Poll

Which song do you prefer?

Where The Streets Have No Name
29 (56.9%)
Running To Stand Still
22 (43.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: March 15, 2012, 11:05:27 AM

Author Topic: 2012 Ultimate U2 Song Tournament: Round 4 - Match 3  (Read 2989 times)

An Cat Dubh

Re: 2012 Ultimate U2 Song Tournament: Round 4 - Match 3
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 11:34:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Slane Castle... that's all I'll say.

So you base your decision on what is the best song musically, lyrically etc etc on one performance at a show that this song could be nothing short of epic. This is a poll about which song is better in a studio setting, am I wrong?

Well actually, I base my decision on the fact that Streets is U2's signature song and is far superior musically. The emotion that gets put into that song when played live is unrivalled. I've never said RTSS isn't a fine song, but it doesn't compare with Streets.

On record RTSS is very dull and bland. Only when it is played live does it become fantastic. Streets is fantastic on record and even more so live.

Since when did U2 have a signature song? If it did, One, SBS, Beautiful Day - they all may vie for that honor.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 11:35:19 AM »
What other song results in a shared roar of hundreds of thousands of attendees at the opening notes live in concert? The fan response to Streets dwarfs every single other song. It is their signature song.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 11:37:06 AM »

So you base your decision on what is the best song musically, lyrically etc etc on one performance at a show that this song could be nothing short of epic. This is a poll about which song is better in a studio setting, am I wrong?

Well actually, I base my decision on the fact that Streets is U2's signature song and is far superior musically. The emotion that gets put into that song when played live is unrivalled. I've never said RTSS isn't a fine song, but it doesn't compare with Streets.

On record RTSS is very dull and bland. Only when it is played live does it become fantastic. Streets is fantastic on record and even more so live.

Since when did U2 have a signature song? If it did, One, SBS, Beautiful Day - they all may vie for that honor.

Maybe to the mainstream listener, but to a hardcore U2 fan? Streets is the one we all want to hear live.

What other song results in a shared roar of hundreds of thousands of attendees at the opening notes live in concert? The fan response to Streets dwarfs every single other song. It is their signature song.

+ 1

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 11:38:41 AM »
On record RTSS is very dull and bland. Only when it is played live does it become fantastic. Streets is fantastic on record

I strongly disagree with this.

Streets does come alive when it's played live and the first 2 minutes during a show is a goosebumps moment, but the rest of the performance is average at best.  Streets is the blandest song on the Joshua Tree album.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »

Maybe to the mainstream listener, but to a hardcore U2 fan? Streets is the one we all want to hear live.

+ 1

How dare you speak for me, and how can you speak for 100,000's of other fans. I have seen Streets live 42 times. I do not care If I never see it live again.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 11:42:24 AM »

Not me.  I'm not too fussed about hearing Streets, but The Fly and UTEOTW are essential.  Bad is a more epic song than Streets to hear at a U2 show.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 11:44:23 AM »
Love both, but Streets' lyrics are sublime.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »
Although I just put RTSS into the lead, it will still lose.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 11:45:33 AM »
Streets.  U2's signature song and U2's greatest live song by about 5,000 miles.

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 11:46:05 AM »

+ 1

How dare you speak for me, and how can you speak for 100,000's of other fans. I have seen Streets live 42 times. I do not care If I never see it live again.

Well excuse me for having an opinion. I have never even been to a concert of any kind, and if I were to go and see U2 for the first time and they didn't play Streets, I would be incredibly disappointed. Not everyone has had the luxury that you've obviously had of seeing that song played live 42 times, so how can you say that there aren't thousands of fans out there exactly like me? Not every U2 fan has seen them live, and the majority of those would be disappointed if they didn't get to witness one of U2's greatest songs played in its greatest way.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »
It cracks me up when people say they get "bored" during a song like RTSS. If you can achieve boredom in 4 minutes, then it's not the song that has the problem.

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 11:48:10 AM »

Not me.  I'm not too fussed about hearing Streets, but The Fly and UTEOTW are essential.  Bad is a more epic song than Streets to hear at a U2 show.

But once again, you've had the opportunity of hearing it played live. What about the people who haven't, like me? I would do anything to hear Streets played live and I would be satisfied if I turned up to their concert and that was the only song they played.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
It cracks me up when people say they get "bored" during a song like RTSS. If you can achieve boredom in 4 minutes, then it's not the song that has the problem.

I could listen to that song 7 times and not get bored.  How can anyone say that RTSS is boring or bland musically, lyrically or in any other way, shape or form?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 11:50:59 AM »

But once again, you've had the opportunity of hearing it played live.

That's right, so I know what I'm talking about. ;)

I would be satisfied if I turned up to their concert and that was the only song they played.

You'd be the only one. :P

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 11:52:21 AM »

I could listen to that song 7 times and not get bored.  How can anyone say that RTSS is boring or bland musically, lyrically or in any other way, shape or form?

I could watch the R&H version all day long!