Poll

Which song do you prefer?

The Fly
33 (55.9%)
Where The Streets Have No Name
26 (44.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: March 20, 2012, 05:43:14 AM

Author Topic: 2012 Ultimate U2 Song Tournament: Semi-Final - Match 1  (Read 3324 times)

northstarjo

Re: 2012 Ultimate U2 Song Tournament: Semi-Final - Match 1
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I feel like it's suddenly cool to not like Streets.

Well, at our last TrueFans meeting (at the usual undisclosed location), we decreed by fiat that Streets's coolness had expired. You'll be feeling the impact of that, as well as of many of our other decrees, in the coming weeks.

I for one, am SO glad I didn't miss our last meeting!!!  ;D

Boom Cha!

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »
There's nothing wrong with 'Streets', but I prefer The Fly.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 10:44:31 PM »
The mere fact that Streets has gotten this far, even if it goes down now, is proof of the rather awful failure of the haters who claimed they would be able to knock it out long before now and got creamed in every round. The Fly is a worthy song to go down too, if go down it does!

surit87

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 01:32:26 AM »
This is tough but I'll go for Streets.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 10:57:43 AM »
The Fly.  My second favourite U2 song after One.

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »
THE FLY IS BEATING STREETS?!?!?!?

ANYTHING IS BEATING STREETS?!?!?

THANK JESUS

northstarjo

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2012, 08:51:12 PM »
THE FLY IS BEATING STREETS?!?!?!?

ANYTHING IS BEATING STREETS?!?!?

THANK JESUS

;D

• Holy Joe
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 09:47:15 PM »
Ah, Streets; the only song to have an entire chunk of the forum consistently rooting for it to fail, voting it down and it STILL steamrollered to e semis. :D

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 11:31:23 PM »
Ah, Streets; the only song to have an entire chunk of the forum consistently rooting for it to fail, voting it down and it STILL steamrollered to e semis. :D

Like I said before, it's almost like it's uncool to like Streets on this forum.  Same thing with nearly every popular "mainstream" song U2 has

Boom Cha!

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 12:33:02 AM »

Like I said before, it's almost like it's uncool to like Streets on this forum.  Same thing with nearly every popular "mainstream" song U2 has

I think The Fly is just as "mainstream" as 'Streets'.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 12:47:15 AM »

Couldnt it be that many, many U2 songs are actually so much BETTER than popular mainstream songs? I think so.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 03:26:26 AM »

Couldnt it be that many, many U2 songs are actually so much BETTER than popular mainstream songs? I think so.
Yeah, but that doesn't really seem to be the determining factor here. Street's is quite obviously losing to The Fly due to the abundance of anti-streets sentiment going around... many people in these tournaments vote, not for their favorite song, but for the song they feel would be fun to vote for . Streets felt like an inevitable winner last time... among many reasons, the desire for that not to be the case again (which would be boring) is a reason for why it's losing.
In an honest poll of even a relatively small sample, Streets would beat The Fly.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 04:38:49 AM »

Yeah, but that doesn't really seem to be the determining factor here. Street's is quite obviously losing to The Fly due to the abundance of anti-streets sentiment going around... many people in these tournaments vote, not for their favorite song, but for the song they feel would be fun to vote for . Streets felt like an inevitable winner last time... among many reasons, the desire for that not to be the case again (which would be boring) is a reason for why it's losing.  In an honest poll of even a relatively small sample, Streets would beat The Fly.

I disagree.

Streets has done well to get to the semi-finals and beat songs like RTSS and Stay, which are both very popular songs.  I would say most casual U2 fans wouldn't even put Streets in the top 5.  The fact is in this match in this particular honest poll, more people prefer The Fly to Streets.  There's certainly no evidence of anti-Streets sentiment going around, unless you consider people voting for songs they prefer to Streets as anti-Streets sentiment.  Streets wouldn't even make my top 50.  I think it is hugely overrated.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 07:29:02 AM »

I agree with this.

Look, I love The Fly and Streets. They're just good songs. Streets, though, I'm sorry, it just really pumps me up when I'm feeling down. I play this song for inspiration and revival. I can't not like this song. And to not like it just cuz it has a lot of radio play is stupid. The reason this song is so popular--with fans and non-fans alike--is because it is such a great song. Streets is one song I never get tired of hearing no matter how many times I hear it.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 08:02:08 AM »

Yeah, but that doesn't really seem to be the determining factor here. Street's is quite obviously losing to The Fly due to the abundance of anti-streets sentiment going around... many people in these tournaments vote, not for their favorite song, but for the song they feel would be fun to vote for . Streets felt like an inevitable winner last time... among many reasons, the desire for that not to be the case again (which would be boring) is a reason for why it's losing.
In an honest poll of even a relatively small sample, Streets would beat The Fly.

Yeah, I think that's pretty clearly right. And it's understandable too - Streets has won this thing plenty of times, so you can get the desire for a change. As I said, it's actually pretty impressive that it's gotten this far despite the anti-Streets sentiment and the dedicated band of haters in every round.