Poll

Which song do you prefer?

The Fly
33 (55.9%)
Where The Streets Have No Name
26 (44.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: March 20, 2012, 05:43:14 AM

Author Topic: 2012 Ultimate U2 Song Tournament: Semi-Final - Match 1  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
Re: 2012 Ultimate U2 Song Tournament: Semi-Final - Match 1
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2012, 10:49:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ah, Streets; the only song to have an entire chunk of the forum consistently rooting for it to fail, voting it down and it STILL steamrollered to e semis. :D

Like I said before, it's almost like it's uncool to like Streets on this forum.  Same thing with nearly every popular "mainstream" song U2 has

Couldnt it be that many, many U2 songs are actually so much BETTER than popular mainstream songs? I think so.
Yeah, but that doesn't really seem to be the determining factor here. Street's is quite obviously losing to The Fly due to the abundance of anti-streets sentiment going around... many people in these tournaments vote, not for their favorite song, but for the song they feel would be fun to vote for . Streets felt like an inevitable winner last time... among many reasons, the desire for that not to be the case again (which would be boring) is a reason for why it's losing.
In an honest poll of even a relatively small sample, Streets would beat The Fly.

Yeah, I think that's pretty clearly right. And it's understandable too - Streets has won this thing plenty of times, so you can get the desire for a change. As I said, it's actually pretty impressive that it's gotten this far despite the anti-Streets sentiment and the dedicated band of haters in every round.

In a way, this almost makes Streets seem like even stronger of a song considering it still almost made it to the finals despite the backlash against it.

And although some will say that there were no anti-Streets sentiments going around during the different matches, it was already expected in this sort of a thing just because it has won numerous occasions. No matter what song won last time, there would always be some backlash against it going into another tournament thing like this, whether it be a song even as universally loved like Stay.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 10:53:33 AM »
It's very easy for Streets to get to the semis when the majority of voters prefer it to the other songs it comes across, including the last year's 90s tournament winner, Stay.

Until that is, it meets more than its match in The Fly.  A far superior song than Streets even if the ridiculous love for Streets on this forum meant that it only won by a few votes.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2012, 11:04:16 AM »
I will cop to being the first one (this time around anyway) to make an anti-Streets comment. As soon as Dice started this poll, I said something like, "Yay, another reminder that Streets is U2's most popular song!"

I can't speak for anyone else, but my comment wasn't born of some hatred for Streets (I've loved it since '87, and with the exception of PopMart Mexico City, it is amazing live). What does frustrate me is having to pick between U2 songs, especially when the choices are between very different songs, like Acrobat and ASOH or something. It just seems that knowing which song is most popular is also a reminder of all the great songs that that song eliminated.

Maybe others actually hate Streets, but I don't. It's just that I love so many U2 songs that the one that wins will inevitably disappoint.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 11:46:08 AM »
I will cop to being the first one (this time around anyway) to make an anti-Streets comment. As soon as Dice started this poll, I said something like, "Yay, another reminder that Streets is U2's most popular song!"

I can't speak for anyone else, but my comment wasn't born of some hatred for Streets (I've loved it since '87, and with the exception of PopMart Mexico City, it is amazing live). What does frustrate me is having to pick between U2 songs, especially when the choices are between very different songs, like Acrobat and ASOH or something. It just seems that knowing which song is most popular is also a reminder of all the great songs that that song eliminated.

Maybe others actually hate Streets, but I don't. It's just that I love so many U2 songs that the one that wins will inevitably disappoint.

Precisely

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 01:12:36 PM »
Love Streets. So, so glad it made it this far in spite of everything. :)

satellitedog01

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 02:06:49 PM »
You know that if The Fly and UV win the tournament, it's either a tie, or Lady With The Spinning Head should be named victor.

zootv

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 04:26:12 PM »
You know that if The Fly and UV win the tournament, it's either a tie, or Lady With The Spinning Head should be named victor.

I concur ;)

The Grave

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »
I'm surprised people are hating on Streets. it's in my top five but the Fly is just a big higher

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2012, 05:25:06 PM »
Well the forum is very Achtung-oriented, so it's not surprising the the JT song gets eliminated at this stage. Most other polls would have Streets in the final I'd have thought.

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2012, 07:21:30 PM »
I don't hate Streets. I'm just sick of it winning.  ::)

And I truly do like The Fly more.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2012, 10:36:46 PM »
Just listened to the album version of Streets for the first time in a while actually.

Why have I waited so long?  I feel like it's the first time I've ever listened to it.  I'm gripped.  Been replaying the opening organ and guitar riff for like twenty minutes now.  Holy Jesus.  I would have killed to have been around to buy The Joshua Tree in 1987 and put it on for the first time, so I can hear that organ buildup.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 08:46:47 AM »
Just listened to the album version of Streets for the first time in a while actually.

Why have I waited so long?  I feel like it's the first time I've ever listened to it.  I'm gripped.  Been replaying the opening organ and guitar riff for like twenty minutes now.  Holy Jesus.  I would have killed to have been around to buy The Joshua Tree in 1987 and put it on for the first time, so I can hear that organ buildup.

See!! This is why I can never hate Streets. That song is so full of energy and inspiration. When it comes on, I want to sing and dance and run down the street.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2012, 03:56:09 PM »

Yeah but after that intro, there's not much else to the song. Therein lies the backlash. Streets has coasted on the strength of its opening without being much good otherwise.

zootv

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2012, 04:26:44 PM »

Yeah but after that intro, there's not much else to the song. Therein lies the backlash. Streets has coasted on the strength of its opening without being much good otherwise.

I couldn't disagree more. Streets is a tremendous song all the way through. I find it uplifting and inspiring. I love driving through the country on a sunny day with Streets blasting.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2012, 05:30:45 PM »

I couldn't disagree more. Streets is a tremendous song all the way through. I find it uplifting and inspiring. I love driving through the country on a sunny day with Streets blasting.

Agreed. The 'backlash' lies simply in annoyance at how often it deservedly wins. Without its intro, Streets is up the with the best U2 songs. WITH the intro, it transcends them.