Poll

Which song do you prefer?

The Fly
33 (55.9%)
Where The Streets Have No Name
26 (44.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: March 20, 2012, 05:43:14 AM

Author Topic: 2012 Ultimate U2 Song Tournament: Semi-Final - Match 1  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
Re: 2012 Ultimate U2 Song Tournament: Semi-Final - Match 1
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2012, 05:37:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just listened to the album version of Streets for the first time in a while actually.

Why have I waited so long?  I feel like it's the first time I've ever listened to it.  I'm gripped.  Been replaying the opening organ and guitar riff for like twenty minutes now.  Holy Jesus.  I would have killed to have been around to buy The Joshua Tree in 1987 and put it on for the first time, so I can hear that organ buildup.

Yeah but after that intro, there's not much else to the song. Therein lies the backlash. Streets has coasted on the strength of its opening without being much good otherwise.

I couldn't disagree more. Streets is a tremendous song all the way through. I find it uplifting and inspiring. I love driving through the country on a sunny day with Streets blasting.

Agreed. The 'backlash' lies simply in annoyance at how often it deservedly wins. Without its intro, Streets is up the with the best U2 songs. WITH the intro, it transcends them.

Agreed.

While I was one of the ones that didn't want Streets to win again, I still rank it within my top U2 songs, and still love it.

It is still the great U2 anthem, whether people want to see it in that light or not. But that is how its presented by the band.