Author Topic: Will POP get remastered and released on it 20th Anniversary  (Read 5248 times)

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Intellectual Tortoise
Will POP get remastered and released on it 20th Anniversary
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »
I don't know if this has been posted before but since U2 is wembarrased by POP will they remaster and re-release it and will they take the time to make the CD what they originally imagined it to be?

P.S. If so I would definitely buy this on the day of release.

zootv

Re: Will POP get remastered and released on it 20th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:23:09 AM »
I'm sure it will and probably full of stuff we've all bought before.

Sugarcube

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 11:11:44 AM »
The band/record company will want to milk the cash-cow of remasters as much as possible. However in the case of POP:

a) some of the songs were re recorded/mastered for the singles collection - the band have publicly stated they weren't happy with the album in its original form
b) depending on your opinion POP was either 1) a disaster or 2) a creative triumph in hindsight

I'd say they will remaster it but it will be a much lower key release than AB and who knows what they'll do with the original album.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:14:16 AM by Sugarcube »

Offline dysthanasiac

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 12:14:11 PM »
I'd be content if they left this one alone.  Where the songs have changed, I prefer the original renditions as opposed to their reworked counterparts.  And remastering, at least in the way it's most commonly done these days - "just turn up the volume" - usually makes a record sound worse.

Although to be fair, the 24-bit remaster of Achtung Baby sounds wonderful.  But, that might have more to do with the headphones I use while listening to it.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:14:34 PM »
Now that I think about it, because of the bipolar reaction to the album, both from the band and the fans (I loved it then and I still do)...something tells me it's not going to get the remaster treatment. 

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:21:42 PM »
I think it will. And unfortunately, the hideous re-worked tracks they already released will be on it. If they do, I would like them to release two albums:

1) Original versions of songs remastered
2) Album with re-worked songs to keep that haters of the original album happy

DVD - Another PopMart Show

Live album - preferably Sarajevo.

U2 - Please leave the original masterpiece album alone, it's quite fine, really.

Thanks, Zoost.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 12:58:25 PM »
I'm thinking ...from a busine$$ $tandpoint...yes it will......and I'll be right there buying it!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:11:49 PM by wrldchamps04 »

Offline TheSceneoftheAccident

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I've been in every black hole
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
It should. Then again they neglected Rattle and Hum, which was similar to Pop in that it prompted the band to re-invent themselves for the new decade. They also ignored Zooropa and just threw it as a bonus disc on the Achtung Baby re-release. It'd definitely be one of the best re-releases though.

Disc 1 = The original album remastered
Disc 2 = An album of alternate mixes, all 12 songs in the same order but each with new mixes
Disc 3 = B-sides, unreleased material, outtakes
Disc 4 = Live album from a PopMart show

Plus a Pop poster and t-shirt.

Also I think they should re-release PopMart Mexico City both on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Disc 1 = Mexico City
Disc 2 = Sarajevo concert
Disc 3 = Tour documentary, album documentary, music videos and other odds and ends of videos/docs from that era

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it will. And unfortunately, the hideous re-worked tracks they already released will be on it. If they do, I would like them to release two albums:
Thanks, Zoost.

Finally someone else agrees with me. The remixes on the Best of were butchered. Flood's original production had a sense of space to the sound. That was gone, especially with....Last Night on Earth. Those middle songs: If God Will, Gone and LNOE very underrated.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »
Thanks, Zoost.

Finally someone else agrees with me. The remixes on the Best of were butchered. Flood's original production had a sense of space to the sound. That was gone, especially with....Last Night on Earth. Those middle songs: If God Will, Gone and LNOE very underrated.

Yes, yes, yes. Leave it alone.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 05:19:50 PM »
Considering what we got from the Achtung Baby sets, I'm amazed anyone would go through the bother of hoping for a different PopMart show.  Especially when you consider how static the setlists and staging were for the tour.

I think we've seen the end of the re-recording of Pop tracks.  If they ever do a set (which I'm not convinced they would), I'd bet on the album remaster, the slew of remixes (and a few b-sides), and maybe the additional re-recordings.  (That is to say, all the stuff you probably already have.)  The number of remixes is the only thing I could see that might convince them to do something more than a 2-3 disc set.  Otherwise, I don't know that the band would expect a giant deluxe set to be all that profitable, considering its reception.

Offline dysthanasiac

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »
I'd probably pony up for a Pop reissue if it had enough extras to make it a compelling choice.  However, that doesn't include the Mexico City show in any form.  I think PopMart deserved a better representation than it got with the release of that thing.  A halfhearted performance plagued with technical issues does not make for very compelling entertainment.

Or perhaps the Zoo TV show from Sydney raised the bar too high.

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
I'd probably pony up for a Pop reissue if it had enough extras to make it a compelling choice.  However, that doesn't include the Mexico City show in any form.  I think PopMart deserved a better representation than it got with the release of that thing.  A halfhearted performance plagued with technical issues does not make for very compelling entertainment.

What issues? I've watched the show several times, and I've never noticed anything like that.

Offline dysthanasiac

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 06:13:13 PM »
Maybe plagued is too strong a word.  Nevertheless, Edge's guitar is "off" ever so slightly throughout the show.  I won't tell you how, because once it becomes apparent, you can't not hear it.  His keyboard is also screwy, because it somehow got fed into his guitar delay.  You can see him wince a few times and look to his tech, Dallas Schoo, with a face that says, "Fix this now," during the bridge to "New Year's Day."

Though it's not a technical issue at all, I think the worst aspect of the show is that Bono's voice is clearly not there.  I'm pretty sure that his "golden voice" days ended during this tour.  (Just so nobody has a cow: I'm not saying his voice is now terrible, but it's obviously not what it used to be, either.)

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »
Maybe plagued is too strong a word.  Nevertheless, Edge's guitar is "off" ever so slightly throughout the show.  I won't tell you how, because once it becomes apparent, you can't not hear it.  His keyboard is also screwy, because it somehow got fed into his guitar delay.  You can see him wince a few times and look to his tech, Dallas Schoo, with a face that says, "Fix this now," during the bridge to "New Year's Day."

Though it's not a technical issue at all, I think the worst aspect of the show is that Bono's voice is clearly not there.  I'm pretty sure that his "golden voice" days ended during this tour.  (Just so nobody has a cow: I'm not saying his voice is now terrible, but it's obviously not what it used to be, either.)

Interesting. I'll have to look for the face-making during NYD, I'd never noticed anything.

I do, however, agree with you in regards to Bono's voice. Zoo TV saw the last days of his "solid" tenor; on Popmart he's definitely more on the high, shrill end of a tenor.