Author Topic: Will POP get remastered and released on it 20th Anniversary  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
Re: Will POP get remastered and released on it 20th Anniversary
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
I would like to think Pop would get the remastered treatment but I'm starting to doubt it. RAH was ignored and Zooropa didn't get it's own release so I'm guessing that Pop will likely suffer the same fate, which is a shame because it's brilliant and well worth getting its own release.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 06:35:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I said this a while back but I really believe that at this point in time, there are no plans to continue the remasters. That's why they included Zooropa with the AB reissue.

I think Zooropa was included on there because Zooropa and Achtung Baby shared the Zoo TV tour.

Pop at least had an entire tour to call its own.

I think you're over-estimating the "logic" side here, and not giving enough credit to their greed: "What else can we throw in to jack up the price?  We can't just put out a NINE disc set, it's not an even number!"

AB re-issue (and its add ons) is the only remastered/re-issue i havent bothered getting. I dont see the point. If i saw a particuarly good deal along the line...i might pick it up....but really not fussed about it

As for the Pop 20th Anniversary, part of me thinks the band might give it the body swerve like they seem to have given R&H (both albums they seem unhappy with)....but if it does get anything, i think it will get touched up a little and that be it

Here's a question for you:

If POP had been more commercially successful would U2 have distanced themselves from it? A bit of a central question to the U2 mindset I would say. Would they have convinced themselves it was a good record if it had sold more. The same question could apply to NLOTH

Are you insane?  Of COURSE not.  The perceived commercial failure is the very reason they distanced themselves from it.  Maybe they'd have attempted a change of sound afterwards anyway, but not the same degree of "oh, we're so sorry for Pop, here, we'll be U2 again..."

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2012, 07:02:31 PM »
I remember Bono talking about R&H and how critically panned it was, and he just said, "F**k 'em, there's some good chunes on there!" I wish he would stand up for Pop with the same attitude.

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 08:17:11 PM »
I remember Bono talking about R&H and how critically panned it was, and he just said, "F**k 'em, there's some good chunes on there!" I wish he would stand up for Pop with the same attitude.

Ha ha. That is exactly how Bono says "tunes" too.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 08:22:23 PM »

Where oh where did that Bono go...?

Offline dysthanasiac

• Wanderer
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 08:52:46 PM »

The White House.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 08:57:05 PM »

The White House.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Brilliant.  Here's another.

Sugarcube

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 02:15:39 AM »

Quite - that's what rock n roll is all about not the watered down version U2 have been peddling over the past few years

Sugarcube

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 02:18:35 AM »
I said this a while back but I really believe that at this point in time, there are no plans to continue the remasters. That's why they included Zooropa with the AB reissue.

I think Zooropa was included on there because Zooropa and Achtung Baby shared the Zoo TV tour.

Pop at least had an entire tour to call its own.

I think you're over-estimating the "logic" side here, and not giving enough credit to their greed: "What else can we throw in to jack up the price?  We can't just put out a NINE disc set, it's not an even number!"

AB re-issue (and its add ons) is the only remastered/re-issue i havent bothered getting. I dont see the point. If i saw a particuarly good deal along the line...i might pick it up....but really not fussed about it

As for the Pop 20th Anniversary, part of me thinks the band might give it the body swerve like they seem to have given R&H (both albums they seem unhappy with)....but if it does get anything, i think it will get touched up a little and that be it

Here's a question for you:

If POP had been more commercially successful would U2 have distanced themselves from it? A bit of a central question to the U2 mindset I would say. Would they have convinced themselves it was a good record if it had sold more. The same question could apply to NLOTH

Are you insane?  Of COURSE not.  The perceived commercial failure is the very reason they distanced themselves from it.  Maybe they'd have attempted a change of sound afterwards anyway, but not the same degree of "oh, we're so sorry for Pop, here, we'll be U2 again..."

Well then that's a bit sad - do you think they've always been like that? If say the UF or AB had been flops the U2 marketing machine would have claimed they didn't really mean it or they 'didn't have enough time'?

surit87

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 04:38:56 AM »

Quite - that's what rock n roll is all about not the watered down version U2 have been peddling over the past few years

You see, this is the reason why a lot of people can't stand Bono (I like him though). We definitely want him to be the man who screamed "F*CK the Revolution!" and not the man whining about being relevant.

By the way, I absolutely love Pop.

Sugarcube

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 05:27:21 AM »

You see, this is the reason why a lot of people can't stand Bono (I like him though). We definitely want him to be the man who screamed "F*CK the Revolution!" and not the man whining about being relevant.

By the way, I absolutely love Pop.

Yes! Or calling the French president a wa**er. No one wants to be lectured all the time. If that's bono's thing then why bother being in a rock n roll band. I love POP too and although Popmart was a bit silly, it looked pretty amazing

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 03:32:15 PM »
Well then that's a bit sad - do you think they've always been like that? If say the UF or AB had been flops the U2 marketing machine would have claimed they didn't really mean it or they 'didn't have enough time'?

Possibly.  I think that regardless of how die-hard fans perceive their work, U2 has been unabashedly populist pretty much from the start.  Which is to say, if they feel a work (say, Pop) didn't connect with audiences the way they had hoped, they tend to eventually look at that work pretty critically.  Had Achtung Baby flopped--which, given their position at the time, it very well COULD have--I think we'd have seen a much quicker "return to their roots" ala ATYCLB.  To be fair, I don't think that's exactly unique to them, or even necessarily sad.  Wanting public acclaim is probably the key reason people form bands to begin with--you don't go through the trouble to NOT be liked.

Sugarcube

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 01:57:03 AM »

Possibly.  I think that regardless of how die-hard fans perceive their work, U2 has been unabashedly populist pretty much from the start.  Which is to say, if they feel a work (say, Pop) didn't connect with audiences the way they had hoped, they tend to eventually look at that work pretty critically.  Had Achtung Baby flopped--which, given their position at the time, it very well COULD have--I think we'd have seen a much quicker "return to their roots" ala ATYCLB.  To be fair, I don't think that's exactly unique to them, or even necessarily sad.  Wanting public acclaim is probably the key reason people form bands to begin with--you don't go through the trouble to NOT be liked.

Up to a point I agree - the big problem now is that this need to be liked has become almost pathological for the band hence the state of thr last 3 albums. AB was a risk and it paid off big time. ATYCLB and HDDAAB were safe and an attempt to be 'relevant' and down with the pop kids. NLOTH is a weird mix of being a bit risky but chart friendly/safe that just didn't work.

IMO they need to take a big risk again if there's any future for their artistic integrity.

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2012, 09:07:45 AM »

Up to a point I agree - the big problem now is that this need to be liked has become almost pathological for the band hence the state of thr last 3 albums. AB was a risk and it paid off big time. ATYCLB and HDDAAB were safe and an attempt to be 'relevant' and down with the pop kids. NLOTH is a weird mix of being a bit risky but chart friendly/safe that just didn't work.

IMO they need to take a big risk again if there's any future for their artistic integrity.

I don't see how AB was such a big risk. This was great music from a great band. A lot of artists stray from what made them famous and release what they want. Let's take Prince for instance, after Purple Rain his sound changed dramatically and IMHO has never been as good. I remember from his first hit "I wanna be your lover" he had catchy dance music and a lot of hits. He changed his sound so much and got so far off target that he didn't sound like the Prince we knew anymore. Not that this is bad if the new sound is as good as the old sound. Like AB is as good if not better than JT. But when the new sound is not as good as the old sound there lies the issue.

POP is a great CD and if U2 looked at it like Boy, the first CD in the new sound and thye kept progressing with it we may have had another U2 masterpiece instead of this new watered down version of our favorite boys.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 09:30:11 AM »

Looks like Obama has Bono's ear.