Author Topic: Will POP get remastered and released on it 20th Anniversary  (Read 5247 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Will POP get remastered and released on it 20th Anniversary
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I remember Bono talking about R&H and how critically panned it was, and he just said, "F**k 'em, there's some good chunes on there!" I wish he would stand up for Pop with the same attitude.

I say, f*ck him, there's some good chunes on Pop.

Sugarcube

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »
Well then that's a bit sad - do you think they've always been like that? If say the UF or AB had been flops the U2 marketing machine would have claimed they didn't really mean it or they 'didn't have enough time'?

Possibly.  I think that regardless of how die-hard fans perceive their work, U2 has been unabashedly populist pretty much from the start.  Which is to say, if they feel a work (say, Pop) didn't connect with audiences the way they had hoped, they tend to eventually look at that work pretty critically.  Had Achtung Baby flopped--which, given their position at the time, it very well COULD have--I think we'd have seen a much quicker "return to their roots" ala ATYCLB.  To be fair, I don't think that's exactly unique to them, or even necessarily sad.  Wanting public acclaim is probably the key reason people form bands to begin with--you don't go through the trouble to NOT be liked.

Up to a point I agree - the big problem now is that this need to be liked has become almost pathological for the band hence the state of thr last 3 albums. AB was a risk and it paid off big time. ATYCLB and HDDAAB were safe and an attempt to be 'relevant' and down with the pop kids. NLOTH is a weird mix of being a bit risky but chart friendly/safe that just didn't work.

IMO they need to take a big risk again if there's any future for their artistic integrity.

I don't see how AB was such a big risk. This was great music from a great band. A lot of artists stray from what made them famous and release what they want. Let's take Prince for instance, after Purple Rain his sound changed dramatically and IMHO has never been as good. I remember from his first hit "I wanna be your lover" he had catchy dance music and a lot of hits. He changed his sound so much and got so far off target that he didn't sound like the Prince we knew anymore. Not that this is bad if the new sound is as good as the old sound. Like AB is as good if not better than JT. But when the new sound is not as good as the old sound there lies the issue.

POP is a great CD and if U2 looked at it like Boy, the first CD in the new sound and thye kept progressing with it we may have had another U2 masterpiece instead of this new watered down version of our favorite boys.

It wasn't a risk by normal peoples standards but it was coming from a band obsessed with being big and making bucket loads of cash. I agree AB is better than the JT. But it was a big change in direction in the same way UF was after War. Pride excepted, I can't imagine anything on War being on TUF. But I can imagine tunes from October or Boy being on War - they have a similar aesthetic. Equally, nothing on POP or AB could be neatly slotted into any other albums. You couldn't put a POP tune on AB or vice versa either.

NLOTH is a weird hybrid of them dipping their toes back in exciting territory but still trying to be 'relevant' or whatever you want to call it, which weirdly makes it a worse record than the ashamedly populist ATYCLB and HTDAAB

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2012, 09:49:23 AM »
I remember Bono talking about R&H and how critically panned it was, and he just said, "F**k 'em, there's some good chunes on there!" I wish he would stand up for Pop with the same attitude.

Definitely!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2012, 11:05:47 AM »
I don't see how AB was such a big risk. This was great music from a great band. A lot of artists stray from what made them famous and release what they want. Let's take Prince for instance, after Purple Rain his sound changed dramatically and IMHO has never been as good. I remember from his first hit "I wanna be your lover" he had catchy dance music and a lot of hits. He changed his sound so much and got so far off target that he didn't sound like the Prince we knew anymore. Not that this is bad if the new sound is as good as the old sound. Like AB is as good if not better than JT. But when the new sound is not as good as the old sound there lies the issue.

Did you actually buy AB in 1991? The only way one could not see it as risky is if they were introduced to it many years later along with the rest of the band's catalogue.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »
Yes, as will the other black sheep of the catalogue, Rattle and Hum.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2012, 12:54:39 PM »
I bought AB upon its release and I still remember when Zoo Station started. I was like WTF?.

I admit it took me a few weeks for some of the tracks to grow on me. Half the album I loved straight away.

The others had to grow on me.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:59:25 PM by mattressjedi »

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2012, 01:52:28 PM »
Yes, as will the other black sheep of the catalogue, Rattle and Hum.

Yes I bought AB on the first day of release as I have bought every release from U2. I have never missed getting the Cd as soon as I can.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »
I think there will be a reissue of Pop in various editions from standard to super deluxe in order to cash in.  Based on the treatment of AB, I suspect there will not be a full remaster, but rather a bit of sonic 'tweaking'.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »
I think there will be a reissue of Pop in various editions from standard to super deluxe in order to cash in.  Based on the treatment of AB, I suspect there will not be a full remaster, but rather a bit of sonic 'tweaking'.

yea but i mean R&H was a critical backlash but it spawned HUGE hits. I mean cmon, Desire? AoH? i still to this day hear this songs on the radio, at restaurants, etc. They could of easily done a DE of R&H but ignored it. Pop? In the states the fizzled and disappeared QUICK, point is if the ignored R&H in spite the huge singles, i doubt they'd have any issue ignoring Pop, which, outside of SATS, got like zero radio play here in the states.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2012, 05:02:31 PM »

yea but i mean R&H was a critical backlash but it spawned HUGE hits. I mean cmon, Desire? AoH? i still to this day hear this songs on the radio, at restaurants, etc. They could of easily done a DE of R&H but ignored it. Pop? In the states the fizzled and disappeared QUICK, point is if the ignored R&H in spite the huge singles, i doubt they'd have any issue ignoring Pop, which, outside of SATS, got like zero radio play here in the states.

Let's wait 'till 2013 before we assume there will not be a R&H reissue.  And because the original album was not a digital recording, I suspect it will be a full remaster.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2012, 08:20:29 PM »

Let's wait 'till 2013 before we assume there will not be a R&H reissue.  And because the original album was not a digital recording, I suspect it will be a full remaster.

trust me, i HOPE they do a DE of it. I want the outtakes! tbh i think, in the lines of "redoing" the album or giving it a "second chance", they could take the opportunity to just sequence the new studio songs for disc 1 and just include the full <or almost all> the Denver or NY concert on disc 2. Disc 3 being the demos/outtakes. after THAT, THEN we'll worry about a super DE blu-ray.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2012, 09:09:24 PM »

Did you actually buy AB in 1991? The only way one could not see it as risky is if they were introduced to it many years later along with the rest of the band's catalogue.

Totally.  The site of Bono walking around in fly shades and leather could easily have been a "jump the shark" moment.  In fact, it pretty much was, for some fans.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2012, 09:12:02 PM »

Totally.  The site of Bono walking around in fly shades and leather could easily have been a "jump the shark" moment.  In fact, it pretty much was, for some fans.

I was in Uganda at the time, and a friend sent me the cassingle of The Fly. Those two songs, and what little of the artwork I could see, were enough to disrupt my small, sanctimonious, '80s-informed conception of U2!

surit87

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2012, 10:46:11 PM »

Ahem... some girls around here would definitely wanna do that.

Offline vertigofly40

• Wanderer
  • The world turns and we get dizzy
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2012, 05:27:38 PM »
I hope we get a POP reissue release.  POP is one of my favorite U2 albums.  I would love a reissue with b-sides and alternative versions of songs.  I would also like bonus DVD's;  hopefully a full length concert that hasn't been released yet.   I think there is enough fans of POP to make the reissue profitable for the band. A POP reissue could have some cool extras with it.