Poll

Which song do you prefer?

The Fly
23 (47.9%)
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
25 (52.1%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: March 22, 2012, 05:54:50 AM

Author Topic: 2012 Ultimate U2 Song Tournament: The Final  (Read 3439 times)

zootv

Re: 2012 Ultimate U2 Song Tournament: The Final
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 10:14:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Neither are the "Ultimate" U2 song, sadly, but I went with Ultraviolet.  At least that's in my top 5, whereas The Fly isn't even in my top 30

That doesn't really surprise me, OAP.

Doesnt suprise me either. I guess OAP would only be happy if Beautiful Day won
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:16:14 AM by zootv »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 10:15:33 AM »
Neither are the "Ultimate" U2 song, sadly, but I went with Ultraviolet.  At least that's in my top 5, whereas The Fly isn't even in my top 30

Me either. I guess OAP would only be happy if Beautiful Day won

That or Elevation.

zootv

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 10:17:10 AM »

Me either. I guess OAP would only be happy if Beautiful Day won

That or Elevation.

Or if U2 covered a Sara Barellis song

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 10:24:57 AM »
A pretty weak match-up for a Final in my opinion. Both great songs, but I can't help but think that Ultraviolet, in particular, only got here because of tactical votes. (I'm gonna get murdered for saying that now :D).

I don't get that.  People might have voted tactically in the first two group rounds - where people voted Ultraviolet the number 2 seed -but in the other rounds people had a clear choice of two songs from which to vote for their preferred song.  If 'tactical' voting means voting for the song they prefer least, I just don't understand why they would.

What I meant was that I don't think Ultraviolet deserves to be classed as a top two U2 song, or top two preferred. It is a very solid song but it isn't ground-breaking in my opinion and I think With Or Without You walks all over it. People voted tactically to stop Streets from winning but why? If Streets deserves to win then it deserves to win. Streets is U2's signature song and it was constantly bashed for being overrated. How can the world's biggest band's biggest song be overrated? There are plenty of other songs that I think deserve to have made it further in this poll but I'm only one little voice in a thing called the minority  ;)

zootv

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
A pretty weak match-up for a Final in my opinion. Both great songs, but I can't help but think that Ultraviolet, in particular, only got here because of tactical votes. (I'm gonna get murdered for saying that now :D).

I don't get that.  People might have voted tactically in the first two group rounds - where people voted Ultraviolet the number 2 seed -but in the other rounds people had a clear choice of two songs from which to vote for their preferred song.  If 'tactical' voting means voting for the song they prefer least, I just don't understand why they would.

What I meant was that I don't think Ultraviolet deserves to be classed as a top two U2 song, or top two preferred. It is a very solid song but it isn't ground-breaking in my opinion and I think With Or Without You walks all over it. People voted tactically to stop Streets from winning but why? If Streets deserves to win then it deserves to win. Streets is U2's signature song and it was tactically voted out of the competition to be replaced by an inferior song. There are plenty of other songs that I think deserve to have made it further in this poll but I'm only one little voice in a thing called the minority  ;)

It's all a matter of opinion. I happen to believe that UV deserves to be in the final but that's just my opinion. No one can definitively say what the ultimate U2 song is. Someone will always disagree with the final result. If streets was voted out then fine. Better luck next time.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 10:28:46 AM »

What I meant was that I don't think Ultraviolet deserves to be classed as a top two U2 song, or top two preferred. It is a very solid song but it isn't ground-breaking in my opinion and I think With Or Without You walks all over it. People voted tactically to stop Streets from winning but why?

Did they?  Why didn't Streets go out in the earlier rounds if that was the case.  Are you also suggesting that people voted tactically against WOWY too?

If Streets deserves to win then it deserves to win. Streets is U2's signature song and it was tactically voted out of the competition to be replaced by an inferior song.

Who says The Fly is an inferior song?  You?  I think it is a far superior song and crucially a majority of voters in this tournament preferred it to Streets.

There are plenty of other songs that I think deserve to have made it further in this poll but I'm only one little voice in a thing called the minority  ;)

You're entitled to your opinion and one vote, just like the rest of us.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:30:58 AM by Tumbling Dice »

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »

What I meant was that I don't think Ultraviolet deserves to be classed as a top two U2 song, or top two preferred. It is a very solid song but it isn't ground-breaking in my opinion and I think With Or Without You walks all over it. People voted tactically to stop Streets from winning but why? If Streets deserves to win then it deserves to win. Streets is U2's signature song and it was tactically voted out of the competition to be replaced by an inferior song. There are plenty of other songs that I think deserve to have made it further in this poll but I'm only one little voice in a thing called the minority  ;)

It's all a matter of opinion. I happen to believe that UV deserves to be in the final but that's just my opinion. No one can definetively say what the ultimate U2 song is. Someone will always disagree with the final result. If streets was voted out then fine. Better luck next time.

I happen to think that Streets doesn't deserve to be in this Final. But I believe that people should give it more credit than it recieves. Are people just bored with it?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 10:32:03 AM »

It's all a matter of opinion. I happen to believe that UV deserves to be in the final but that's just my opinion. No one can definetively say what the ultimate U2 song is. Someone will always disagree with the final result. If streets was voted out then fine. Better luck next time.

I happen to think that Streets doesn't deserve to be in this Final. But I believe that people should give it more credit than it recieves. Are people just bored with it?

Given that it is a very average song, I think Streets already gets far more credit that it deserves.  And yes, I am bored with it.

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 10:35:19 AM »
What I meant was that I don't think Ultraviolet deserves to be classed as a top two U2 song, or top two preferred. It is a very solid song but it isn't ground-breaking in my opinion and I think With Or Without You walks all over it. People voted tactically to stop Streets from winning but why?

Did they?  Why didn't Streets go out in the earlier rounds if that was the case.  Are you also suggesting that people voted tactically against WOWY too?

I think people voted tactically in the Semi-Final, yes. I can't see the fascination with Ultraviolet, especially when you pit it against a song like With Or Without You.

Who says The Fly is an inferior song?  You?  I think it is a far superior song and crucailly so did a majority of voters in this tournament.

I modified my post as I didn't know which song knocked Streets out. The Fly is a superior song to Streets.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 10:36:45 AM »
Already mentioned how I feel with UV.

So The Fly for me.

Although Zooropa is OBVIOUSLY the ultimate U2 song.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 10:38:06 AM »

It's all a matter of opinion. I happen to believe that UV deserves to be in the final but that's just my opinion.

I agree it deserves to be in the final, given that it topped its group in the first two rounds and then proceeded to knock out Mysterious Ways, ASOH, Zooropa and WOWY along the way to its well-earned place in the final.

No one can definitively say what the ultimate U2 song is.

That's true.  I think WOWY is, but clearly I'm in a minority.

Someone will always disagree with the final result. If streets was voted out then fine. Better luck next time.

Absolutely.  All the bitching about Streets is just sour grapes, plain and simple. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 10:42:17 AM »
Actually since this is the final, soon I can start the Ultimate Disliked U2 Song Tournament

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 10:43:18 AM »

I think people voted tactically in the Semi-Final, yes.

Do you have any convincing evidence to back up this conjecture?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 10:44:19 AM »
Actually since this is the final, soon I can start the Ultimate Disliked U2 Song Tournament

I can save you the bother.  It's Sweetest Thing.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  8)