Author Topic: Obscure references to U2  (Read 33301 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Obscure references to U2
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 11:57:01 AM »
'The Ledge' is mentioned in Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho novel.

Offline Snowmoon

• Elevated
  • Through the storm we reach the shore
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »
The book Faithful Place(fiction) is about a girl in Ireland that went missing in the 80's.  They find her suitcase and inside there is "one U2 t-shirt, probably worth hundreds".  Then her home-taped cassettes which are REM, Murmur; U2, Boy; Thin Lizzy and Nick Cave.   :)

Offline Shesgonnadreamoutloud

• Elevated
  • Uncertainty can be a guiding light
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 08:53:26 PM »
There was this song I used to like that mentioned U2  :)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 10:31:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Gilmore Girls referenced U2/Bono so often it could be a drinking game.

My oldest LOVED the Gilmore Girls. She owns all the seasons, but I've never watched them. I will have to ask her why she never told me this most important fact about her former favorite show.  ;)

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 07:32:38 AM »
Gilmore Girls referenced U2/Bono so often it could be a drinking game.

My oldest LOVED the Gilmore Girls. She owns all the seasons, but I've never watched them. I will have to ask her why she never told me this most important fact about her former favorite show.  ;)
It really was a great show with the exception of the last season. But U2/Bono are mentioned in almost every other episode. It was kind of funny.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:07:04 PM by Belisama »

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 10:42:51 AM »
There was the scene where they smoked pot to "Bad" and said something like "I didn't know you listened to stuff like this" in the movie Brothers. 

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 03:06:19 PM »
This thread has reminded me that in the movie Blown Away, a crazy somewhat psychotic Tommy Lee Jones (playing an Irishman who is a bomber) is walking through a little flea market type place in Boston and buys a U2 tape (The Joshua Tree) for a couple of bucks to see what his fellow countrymen are up to.  His character doesn't know who U2 is but rather looking at them as just keeping up with the current events.

He then promptly goes to his hideout and builds himself some bombs with The Joshua Tree playing loud.  It isn't the greatest association but then again, it's just a fictional movie.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2012, 03:41:17 PM »
I had a really strange U2 experience this week. I had to take a summer course that invloves Bible study. Which is something new me. One fellow student read this passage:

31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

After a few moments I made a connection to Drowning Man......

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2012, 09:35:54 PM »
Yeah, Bono has "borrowed" a lot of lyrics from the Bible!

Last night on Saturday Night Live (might've been a rerun), there was a segment on Weekend Update where Liam Neeson was talking with a guy portraying Nicholas Cage, and the guy said something like "who is this tall Bono?"

Offline iluEdge

• Stateless
  • when you stop seeing beauty, you start growing old
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 12:25:48 AM »
in the Simpson's Movie Lisa meets an Irish activist boy, Colin. He says his dad is an Irish musician...Lisa get's excited but Colin says, "no my dad is NOT Bono."

In an episode of Entourage called I Love You Too:  Ari gets the guys U2 tickets for Vince's birthday.  They are walking outside the concert - Drama is the most excited (he's wearing a U2 shirt, got the Irish flag draped around his shoulders) he says, "is it a BEAUTIFUL DAY or what?!"  The episode ends with the boys inside the concert and the Dublin boys singing "city of blinding lights" and the beginning of "Vertigo" - i'm pretty sure they filmed it at their '05 Vertigo LA show...very COOL!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:31:05 AM by iluEdge »

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2012, 09:44:35 AM »
We have a tear-off calendar with cat photos on it. Today's picture is of a cat named 'Zoorapa' - I wonder if it's really Zooropa and the calendar makers misread the O as an A! (The cat even resembles the Zoo baby from the album cover, as it's staring through a huge bubble so it looks like it's wearing an astronaut's helmet.)

Offline MelancholyBaby (U2Katya)

• Numb
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 07:30:08 PM »
Anyone like the BBC show Top Gear? -- It's a show about all things cars, and the guys usually review a new car or two each show. They drop pop culture references throughout and refer to U2 often. On an episode I watched recently, the dude driving the car reviewed it similar to this :

"This car is like U2. You know you should hate them, but then they put out a new album and it's like....they've done it again."

Sorry I can't remember which car!

Offline MelancholyBaby (U2Katya)

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »
We have a tear-off calendar with cat photos on it. Today's picture is of a cat named 'Zoorapa' - I wonder if it's really Zooropa and the calendar makers misread the O as an A! (The cat even resembles the Zoo baby from the album cover, as it's staring through a huge bubble so it looks like it's wearing an astronaut's helmet.)

Haha! So cute! ;) -- I had a similar little tear off calendar which featured a cat with colored goggles on and the caption "Eat your heart out Bono!". It was taped to my desk at work for years, hehe.

Actually, here is the image of it : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 10:24:49 PM »
I was reading an article on MSN today titled "100 Easy Ways to Burn 100 Calories." The article listed workouts you could do to burn the calories, from the mundane (100 pushups in 10 minutes) to the ridiculous (playing 13 hands of poker). One way to burn 100 calories, however, is apparently standing in line for U2 tickets for 65 minutes!
Obviously it's the standing up that makes you burn calories, but I though it was great that the article mentioned U2, who isn't even touring right now, as opposed to Katy Perry or Justin Bieber.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 03:33:02 AM »
Watching Law and Order Criminal Intent the other morning and one of the witnesses had named her son Bono.