Author Topic: 3 Things I Want On The Next Tour  (Read 5984 times)

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
3 Things I Want On The Next Tour
« on: April 07, 2012, 03:46:22 PM »
1. Bring the source of EVERY sound coming through the speakers ON THE STAGE. If Terry Lawless is playing piano, stick him on the stage, not in the underground. If Terry is scared of being onstage, hire someone else. If a song needs two guitars, either Bono plays guitar or you bring someone else (i.e. Dallas Schoo) onstage. The Edge is good and sometimes a part that sounds like two guitars is actually one ("Bad"), but other times they've clearly cheated (see live versions of "Mofo", "All Because of You"). If you need synths or pre-recorded sounds to do "Magnificent" or a hell-raising version of "Even Better Than The Real Thing" or you need the little chimy key sounds before the second chorus of "Get On Your Boots" (which I hope they don't play anymore anyway), there should be someone onstage with a synth and a laptop. If this is embarrassing, then produce absolutely as much sound live as you can. Do it, U2. It won't hurt your legend, it will only help your image, because people will see that you're being more honest. You know how you love The Killers, Bono? Take a look at their last concert DVD to get a little lesson in bringing extra musicians onstage in a tactful way so that the audience can appreciate the extra musician, but it doesn't distract from the core band.

2. This is mostly directed at Bono: stop talking like you're a commercial. You've always communicated well emotionally IN the music, but please, be more personal in the time in-between songs. How many times do your loyal fans have to hear that "America is an idea, not just a country"? Why do you have to talk about your causes as if you've been given a little slot on a talk show and you just have enough time for a "plug." Yes, please, mention your causes, but talk about them in a way that shows YOUR personal connection to them more instead of talking about them like a canvasser or a spokesperson. This is YOUR show. Give us a little more loose banter between songs that isn't contrived or looking for an angle to mention politics or history or notable events...just joke around a little more. And as a Christian (some people are surely dreading what I'm about to say), what I would love to see is for you to open up a little more about the spiritual connection/meaning behind your songs, many of which are clearly tied to your Christian faith. I DON'T mean that you should turn every song into a little sermon or try to adopt some sort of forced-evangelism or shove things down people's throats; what I would like to see is a little more back-story on songs and talking about faith in the simple, personal way that has always been sprinkled into interviews throughout the years. Yes, people have gotten to see that side of you somewhat through these interviews, but I feel that you don't let it show enough, especially during your concerts, which is when you should be expressing these thoughts and opinions the most. And going along with this...please play "Grace"!

3. This one is in somewhat the same vein as the first two items, which are about removing artifice. Bono: either lose the glasses or wear the least noticeable ones you can find. The ones you wore on 360 were better than the skiing goggles you wore during Vertigo...but the frame was still pretty clunky on the sides.  I would rather you just go back to losing them altogether a la the Elevation Tour.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
Re: 3 Things I Want On The Next Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »
1. no video screens of any kind.

2. no talking to the audience, other than "hello, [your city here]!" and "thank you, goodnight!"

3. no overhead lighting of any kind.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 06:18:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1. Bring the source of EVERY sound coming through the speakers ON THE STAGE. If Terry Lawless is playing piano, stick him on the stage, not in the underground. If Terry is scared of being onstage, hire someone else. If a song needs two guitars, either Bono plays guitar or you bring someone else (i.e. Dallas Schoo) onstage. The Edge is good and sometimes a part that sounds like two guitars is actually one ("Bad"), but other times they've clearly cheated (see live versions of "Mofo", "All Because of You"). If you need synths or pre-recorded sounds to do "Magnificent" or a hell-raising version of "Even Better Than The Real Thing" or you need the little chimy key sounds before the second chorus of "Get On Your Boots" (which I hope they don't play anymore anyway), there should be someone onstage with a synth and a laptop. If this is embarrassing, then produce absolutely as much sound live as you can. Do it, U2. It won't hurt your legend, it will only help your image, because people will see that you're being more honest. You know how you love The Killers, Bono? Take a look at their last concert DVD to get a little lesson in bringing extra musicians onstage in a tactful way so that the audience can appreciate the extra musician, but it doesn't distract from the core band.

2. This is mostly directed at Bono: stop talking like you're a commercial. You've always communicated well emotionally IN the music, but please, be more personal in the time in-between songs. How many times do your loyal fans have to hear that "America is an idea, not just a country"? Why do you have to talk about your causes as if you've been given a little slot on a talk show and you just have enough time for a "plug." Yes, please, mention your causes, but talk about them in a way that shows YOUR personal connection to them more instead of talking about them like a canvasser or a spokesperson. This is YOUR show. Give us a little more loose banter between songs that isn't contrived or looking for an angle to mention politics or history or notable events...just joke around a little more. And as a Christian (some people are surely dreading what I'm about to say), what I would love to see is for you to open up a little more about the spiritual connection/meaning behind your songs, many of which are clearly tied to your Christian faith. I DON'T mean that you should turn every song into a little sermon or try to adopt some sort of forced-evangelism or shove things down people's throats; what I would like to see is a little more back-story on songs and talking about faith in the simple, personal way that has always been sprinkled into interviews throughout the years. Yes, people have gotten to see that side of you somewhat through these interviews, but I feel that you don't let it show enough, especially during your concerts, which is when you should be expressing these thoughts and opinions the most. And going along with this...please play "Grace"!

3. This one is in somewhat the same vein as the first two items, which are about removing artifice. Bono: either lose the glasses or wear the least noticeable ones you can find. The ones you wore on 360 were better than the skiing goggles you wore during Vertigo...but the frame was still pretty clunky on the sides.  I would rather you just go back to losing them altogether a la the Elevation Tour.

I agree with Number 1. I'm all for beefing up their sound, but please bring the guys like Lawless up top. Heck, The Stones' band plays with them. They don't pretend Richards has foot pedals in his back pocket and has octopus arms.
But I wont wait for it.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:32:34 PM »
just come close enough that I can see a concert or two (or ten) that's all I want.

The Grave

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »
1. no video screens of any kind.

2. no talking to the audience, other than "hello, [your city here]!" and "thank you, goodnight!"

???

Jara

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 09:43:19 AM »
Id like for bono to put more effort,feeling and passion into the classics. Thats my 3 wishes rolled into one

I do rather like imaginary freinds idea of stripped down shows too. Nothing to hide behind that way :)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 09:53:03 AM »
I agree with Merlin's #1 post and about the preachy commercial stuff.

My 3rd wish would be to not be afraid to play past songs (coughPopcough)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 10:26:27 AM »
Id like for bono to put more effort,feeling and passion into the classics. Thats my 3 wishes rolled into one

I do rather like imaginary freinds idea of stripped down shows too. Nothing to hide behind that way :)

I'm not arguing for "stripped down" at all, and I never have. I want them to go as far over the top as their budget will allow - there's simply other ways to do it.

I saw The The on their Vs. the World tour in 1990, and they had NO forward lighting - no spotlights and no forward lighting truss shining PAR lamps in their faces from above. Matt Johnson, Johnny Marr and the bass player were only seen in silhouette or from the side the entire evening. It was one of the most stunningly effective presentations I've ever seen. Did you see any indoor shows on Elevation? Think of how they did "New York" live. There's your starting point.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »
To mess up the set list a wee bit more would be good

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »
1. Arenas.

2. A commitment to their new music for the duration of the tour.

3.  Experiment with the arrangment of well worn oldies, if they really must play them.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 04:35:17 PM »
1) No more General admission.  Please bring back reserve seating on the floors.  This has really ticked me off since elevation tour.  As a long time fan and an original Propaganda member, I treasured my prime seating on the floor(usually in the first five to ten rows) If I have to pay $250, I would rather have my reserve seat on the floor than in the stands.

2) More rarities in the set on old fan favorites dropped.

3) A more darker themed stage design unlike the more brighter last few tours.

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »
1. Mofo
2. If God Will Send His Angels
3. Acrobat

Easy.

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 06:02:08 AM »
1) Bad

2) Find their passion and emotion again. I watched UABRS last night and it reminded of why I fell in love with this band. Bono's voice was untrained and imperfect, but he roared with emotion. He attacked every song with gusto and moved around the stage, with tension and magnetism coursing through his body. Edge and Adam were similarly more energetic and less precise in their playing, while Larry pounded the drums like he was heading into battle. In developing their craftsmanship and maturing as men, I think they've lost some of that raw energy that made them stand out from the pack. Maybe it's gone forever, but they should stop trying so hard to be polished and perfect.

3) Mix it up a little. Play an acoustic version we've never heard before, have Edge do a solo like he did with SBS or have the reprise on Streets that they did in PopMart. Challenge our expectations!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 11:26:54 AM »
1. Bad (stole this from Sydney_Mike)

2. More Edge singing. (Also stole from SM,) SBS would be fine, or Love Is Blindness like in From the Sky Down, or both. . . Heck, I'd even take Sweet Caroline.

3.  Keep GA tickets reasonably priced, the $60 range seemed pretty good last tour.

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 01:50:04 PM »
1. Bad (stole this from Sydney_Mike)

2. More Edge singing. (Also stole from SM,) SBS would be fine, or Love Is Blindness like in From the Sky Down, or both. . . Heck, I'd even take Sweet Caroline.

3.  Keep GA tickets reasonably priced, the $60 range seemed pretty good last tour.

YES more Edge singing. It's really a tragedy that he hasn't been able to show off his voice more, because it's really good.