Author Topic: 30 second clips of each new song  (Read 1249 times)

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
30 second clips of each new song
« on: February 14, 2009, 12:56:59 PM »
Okay, here is what I'd like to know:

First, are the clips contained in the mp3 file at the link below the actual songs on the album? (It is certainly U2, but on some of the clips, the sound certainly doesn't fit the descriptions that I've been reading of the new album.

Second, if these clips are actually the music contained on the new album, does it really sound that inventive to you?

Understand that I am  huge U2 fan, but this is not what I was expecting.  Based on what I have been reading, I was expecting The Fly meets Vertigo meets Gone.  Except for GOYB, what I am hearing from these clips is Elvis Presley meets Yahweh meets Drowning Man.

Any input would be truly appreciated.

[Admin edit: link removed]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:17:46 PM by m2 »

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: 30 second clips of each new song
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »
Yes it is - and you should be careful when you give links - it could leave the Forum in hot water or give unwanted malware or viruses to Forum members.

And to answer your question - it is a departure from their past 2 albums. Many members here were blown away by only just 30 seconds of the songs (including me). I never heard Bono's voice hit those high notes in a very, very long time.

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 01:04:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes it is - and you should be careful when you give links - it could leave the Forum in hot water or give unwanted malware or viruses to Forum members.

Then the Forum Admin can delete it and you can avoid the viruses by not clicking on the link.  I'm just trying to get info.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:09:13 PM by DrDoom171 »

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 01:07:42 PM »

And to answer your question - it is a departure from their past 2 albums. Many members here were blown away by only just 30 seconds of the songs (including me). I never heard Bono's voice hit those high notes in a very, very long time.

I'm sure I'll like the album since I've liked every album they've made.  However, it's not what I was expecting and it sounds more like UF than Achtung Baby which is how all the "critics" have been describing it.  UF was my absolute least favorite U2 album.  I'm excited to get this album, but puzzled on the previous descriptions.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 01:11:16 PM »
I wouldn't believe it was Unforgettable Fire-esque. Their are some fast paced songs on the record and unexpected twists and turns. If you heard the Unknown Caller beach clip and compared it with the 30 seconds, you know that the song has evolved and takes twists and turns.

But the Unforgettable Fire comparisons maybe associated with Bono's voice? I think so - he sounds like he's in his early 20s.

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »
I did hear that beach clip and it sounded good.....from what I could hear.

I'm still excited about the album but now I have a completely different set of expectations.  I'm sure the complete songs will be great but the 30 second clips leave me wondering "WTH have the album reviewers been listening to?"

shockdocta22

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 07:24:57 PM »
Well we are left with the question: is The NLOTH clip the album version or not, this is when we can comfirm if these are all the new songs

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 07:51:05 PM »
Okay, here is what I'd like to know:

First, are the clips contained in the mp3 file at the link below the actual songs on the album? (It is certainly U2, but on some of the clips, the sound certainly doesn't fit the descriptions that I've been reading of the new album.

Second, if these clips are actually the music contained on the new album, does it really sound that inventive to you?

Understand that I am  huge U2 fan, but this is not what I was expecting.  Based on what I have been reading, I was expecting The Fly meets Vertigo meets Gone.  Except for GOYB, what I am hearing from these clips is Elvis Presley meets Yahweh meets Drowning Man.

Any input would be truly appreciated.

[Admin edit: link removed]

I'm so glad that the 30 second clips didn't do the songs justice.  After hearing the entire album, it is very good and does sound inventive.

Magnificent is the best song I've heard in 15 years.
NLOTH is spectacular.