Author Topic: "Rows of Scalpers, Are Bearing Down on Me...."  (Read 15827 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: "Rows of Scalpers, Are Bearing Down on Me...."
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2012, 03:18:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A quick look at Radioheads set list last night... they played 6 songs from their current album The King of Limbs out of a possible 8. 2 songs were singles or Greatest Hits during the set. All in, they played a 23 songs.

Proof you can still be a successful, massively creative band without resorting to 360 style tactics. Unless your current album is as bad as NLOTH.

And they also played a couple songs that were newer than the KOL material.

This is what U2 could do too, if they weren't obsessed with playing stadiums and maximising their profits.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »
A quick look at Radioheads set list last night... they played 6 songs from their current album The King of Limbs out of a possible 8. 2 songs were singles or Greatest Hits during the set. All in, they played a 23 songs.

Proof you can still be a successful, massively creative band without resorting to 360 style tactics. Unless your current album is as bad as NLOTH.

Yeah, Identikit is great - I love it. And it's a fully formed song unlike, say, Stingray which was a hastily put together mess...

But there's no assurance RH wont tinker on the song and transform it from this initial incarnation. Happened many times before. They're like U2 in that way.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2012, 03:36:05 PM »
All this is assuming that the scalpers are calling in or getting in line to buy tickets, they are not, tickets are releaed directly to them. That is why they always have the best seats and you can be frist in line and still not get good tickets. I was first in line for a U2 Elevation sale and all that was left was upper section seats. A huge amount of tickets are held back and given to stub hub etc....

I have believed this for MANY years. More than once I was at or near the front of a line for tickets and wound up in nosebleed seats. Even if every Ticketmaster outlet was coughing up tickets at the exact same time, it still defies logic. I'm talking about pre-Internet when you'd go to an outlet, get a wristband and either they'd start with #1, or they'd start with a random number. And no band that I've seen in recent years has ever answered a direct question on the topic in a way that I'd find satisfying.

That's because the individual bands sign a contract for an entire tour with a company like Live Nation to handle what agents used to do with booking concerts through promoters.
All of them are gone. It's all Live Nation type companies now. So many bands are either

A)willfully ignorant

or

B)blindly ignorant

Sugarcube

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »

Yeah, Identikit is great - I love it. And it's a fully formed song unlike, say, Stingray which was a hastily put together mess...

But there's no assurance RH wont tinker on the song and transform it from this initial incarnation. Happened many times before. They're like U2 in that way.

Radiohead are nothing like U2. I saw 2 shows before they recorded In Rainbows and although not identical, the songs were pretty similar live to the studio versions.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »

Radiohead are nothing like U2. I saw 2 shows before they recorded In Rainbows and although not identical, the songs were pretty similar live to the studio versions.

Oh really? Hmm....there's a song out there they wrote, recorded and performed almost a full decade before it was released. And it was very different.

?

Sugarcube

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »

Oh really? Hmm....there's a song out there they wrote, recorded and performed almost a full decade before it was released. And it was very different.

?

Which song was that? I've seen them in every tour since OK Computer. There may be the odd exception to the rule but by and large the songs they debut live have very similar structures to the studio versions.

Please don't compare Radiohead to U2 - it leaves a bad taste in ones mouth

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2012, 03:52:32 PM »
U2 and Radiohead aren't anywhere close musically.....and that's for the best. I'm pretty sure I'd hate U2 if they tried to emulate Radiohead, and vice versa. Both bands are better when they're themselves and not trying to be something they're not.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
U2 and Radiohead aren't anywhere close musically.....and that's for the best. I'm pretty sure I'd hate U2 if they tried to emulate Radiohead, and vice versa. Both bands are better when they're themselves and not trying to be something they're not.

U2 are a better live act than Radiohead - at least in the good ole days - and have made better albums, while at the same time being much more commercially successful.  My first two points are subjective opinions and my last point is fact.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »

I wasn't saying musically in content. I was just saying how they could endlessly tinker with arrangements and transform some songs.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2012, 05:05:17 PM »

U2 are a better live act than Radiohead - at least in the good ole days - and have made better albums, while at the same time being much more commercially successful.  My first two points are subjective opinions and my last point is fact.

Agreed. I wasn't around for Zoo TV or any of those tours (too young to remember) but I'd have loved to have seen the band back then. Even on 360 they were great at both shows I went to (almost 2 years apart). I'm sure on the whole Zoo TV was probably the better tour.

I like some of Radiohead's music (primarily the old stuff) but like you said, overall, U2's got'em beat in terms of quality and touring.

I wasn't saying musically in content. I was just saying how they could endlessly tinker with arrangements and transform some songs.

I actually wasn't really targeting your post with my post. I haven't seen RH live, so I can't comment on how they play the songs live. But you are right that U2 essentially (with the exception of Crazy) sticks to the same arrangement for songs live. I think a lot of bands are guilty of doing, that, though, and I don't really have a huge problem with it. There are some differences, but they're subtle. And I like the fact that U2 has snippets of other songs thrown in to mix things up a bit.

Sugarcube

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2012, 12:58:28 AM »

The simple fact is U2 COULDN'T do what Radiohead do. Whereas Radiohead have done what U2 do - but better. The Bends is a way superior stadium style guitar album to anything U2 have done. As For U2s so called 'experimental' phase - Kid A and Ok Computer pi*s all over U2's 90's efforts. I enjoy U2's 90's efforts but they're just not as sophisticated

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2012, 01:25:20 AM »

The simple fact is U2 COULDN'T do what Radiohead do. Whereas Radiohead have done what U2 do - but better. The Bends is a way superior stadium style guitar album to anything U2 have done. As For U2s so called 'experimental' phase - Kid A and Ok Computer pi*s all over U2's 90's efforts. I enjoy U2's 90's efforts but they're just not as sophisticated

Are we talking musically or commercially speaking? If so, I'd say that overall, the consensus is going to be that U2 did it better. Not just here, but in the music world in general. RH had a couple of really good CDs, but compare their body of work to U2's and there's no comparison. There's a reason why U2 was inducted on their first year of eligibility for the Rock Hall (many great artists are not), a reason why they've continued to enjoy successful tours and largely successful albums, a reason why they've continued to bring out CDs over the past 30 years that have been different musically yet still (generally) well received, a reason why they have millions of fans worldwide and are able to play to stadiums across the world: they're a great band. As good as Radiohead was during the 90s, they didn't match U2 then and they still don't now. The mixed reaction to Radiohead's last 3-4 CDs is proof of that.

The argument that Radiohead is somehow superior overall to U2 musically (or commercially) is about as laughable as the idea that Coldplay could play to stadiums or that they've released better music during the 00s than U2. You'd be hard pressed to find that many people who actually agree with either sentiment.

Sugarcube

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2012, 01:46:02 AM »

Are we talking musically or commercially speaking? If so, I'd say that overall, the consensus is going to be that U2 did it better. Not just here, but in the music world in general. RH had a couple of really good CDs, but compare their body of work to U2's and there's no comparison. There's a reason why U2 was inducted on their first year of eligibility for the Rock Hall (many great artists are not), a reason why they've continued to enjoy successful tours and largely successful albums, a reason why they've continued to bring out CDs over the past 30 years that have been different musically yet still (generally) well received, a reason why they have millions of fans worldwide and are able to play to stadiums across the world: they're a great band. As good as Radiohead was during the 90s, they didn't match U2 then and they still don't now. The mixed reaction to Radiohead's last 3-4 CDs is proof of that.

The argument that Radiohead is somehow superior overall to U2 musically (or commercially) is about as laughable as the idea that Coldplay could play to stadiums or that they've released better music during the 00s than U2. You'd be hard pressed to find that many people who actually agree with either sentiment.

I agree Radiohead aren't as succsesful as U2 commercially - the numbers speak for themselves. But good art has nothing to do with how much money it does or doesn't make.

The mixed reaction to Radioheads last 3 or 4 cd's? In Rainbows was hailed as a classc. As was Hail to the Theif although it was generally considered too long. Kid A is considered by many as their best album and was a massive critical success. TKOL got a mixed reaction when it came out, agreed - however time is showing it to be a classic too. And it has three of the best songs they've ever written on it. The TKOL songs live are massive.

As for musical sophistication I'm sorry but Radiohead are leagues ahead of U2. I really like all of U2's albums up to and including POP. But Boy, October and War aren't exactly imaginative - they have good tunes and passion. TUF is where it started getting interesting but again, there is nothing to match Radiohed. JT harks back to the basic music of the first 3. Only on Zooropa (rather than AB) do U2 get anywhere near Radioheads brilliance. As for POP, much as I like it, I get the feeling most of what was interesting about that album was done on a computer by producers and engineers. No point talking about 2000's U2 in this context - their last 3 records have been dire. That said, Radiohead have proved you don't need to dumb down your brand to still remain vital and relevant - and popular.

As usual you, like most people here, seem to equate being able to sell millions of records and playing stadiums with quality. It just isn't the case.

Coldplay can play stadiums - I don't know why you think they can't.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:50:34 AM by Sugarcube »

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2012, 06:53:00 AM »
^  Because Coldplay can't do stadiums here in the States.

Sugarcube

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2012, 06:56:32 AM »
^  Because Coldplay can't do stadiums here in the States.

They can - they just choose not too. A band like Coldplay care about their fans and want them to see the band in a more intimate setting