Author Topic: Feedback/Suggestions re: 2012 U2 Fan Survey  (Read 4897 times)

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Feedback/Suggestions re: 2012 U2 Fan Survey
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:09:34 AM »
Hey gang, let's use this thread for any feedback and suggestions you might have about the 2012 U2 Fan Survey. Think we missed a question that should be asked? Think we left out a possible answer in one of the questions? Anything else? Let us know so we can make the next survey better.

Thx,
Matt

Offline maymay

• Up With the Sun
Re: Feedback/Suggestions re: 2012 U2 Fan Survey
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:12:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey gang, let's use this thread for any feedback and suggestions you might have about the 2012 U2 Fan Survey. Think we missed a question that should be asked? Think we left out a possible answer in one of the questions? Anything else? Let us know so we can make the next survey better.

Thx,
Matt

Hi Matt!

My suggestion is to add the number of choices from one to 3-5 in some questions where there are tons of options to choose between.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:14:10 AM by maymay »

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:23:27 PM »
I completely second Maymay's idea there!   Or if that is not preferable, then the ones where there are so many choices, then break them down into eras, like with some of the other questions.

Lovely survey though!  :)

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 02:57:12 PM »
On some of the "favorites" questions, one option was "I don't have a favorite."  It's impossible to tell from that whether the person cannot decide among many favorites, or if they're not into it enough to have a favorite.  The meaning is unclear.  I chose that answer several times because I cannot pick one favorite out of the many options.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »
On some of the "favorites" questions, one option was "I don't have a favorite."  It's impossible to tell from that whether the person cannot decide among many favorites, or if they're not into it enough to have a favorite.  The meaning is unclear.  I chose that answer several times because I cannot pick one favorite out of the many options.

I agree with this.  It's like picking you favorite child!  Can't be done.  :)

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 03:06:04 PM »

Thx,
Matt

Hi Matt!

My suggestion is to add the number of choices from one to 3-5 in some questions where there are tons of options to choose between.

Not sure I understand, maymay - can you give more detail?

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 03:08:09 PM »
I completely second Maymay's idea there!   Or if that is not preferable, then the ones where there are so many choices, then break them down into eras, like with some of the other questions.

The software doesn't allow things like sub-headings or sub-titles within the list of answers, if that's what you're suggesting. It just lets us input all the possible answers for each question. So we always try to input things in chronological order or whatever order makes the most sense for each question.

The Grave

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »
More questions about October  ;)

but yeah. for those big questions. *can't remember what they were* maybe divide them into decades

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 04:06:17 PM »

The software doesn't allow things like sub-headings or sub-titles within the list of answers, if that's what you're suggesting. It just lets us input all the possible answers for each question. So we always try to input things in chronological order or whatever order makes the most sense for each question.

I also can now not remember which ones were having so many options (but maybe like the favorite video... but there were others too)-- on the ones with so many choices, is there any way to either give us the option of choosing more than just one favorite? Or if it is not possible to say "pick 3" (or "pick 5") then would it be possible to break the question down into eras-- say "pick your favorite video from the 80's" or something like that?

Does that clarify my/ Maymay's thoughts any?

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »
More questions about October  ;)

but yeah. for those big questions. *can't remember what they were* maybe divide them into decades

So it sounds like you're suggesting that we replace "What's your favorite U2 video?" with questions like

What's your favorite U2 video from the 80s?
from the 90s?
etc.

Is that correct? I'll assume so. :)

While I understand that it can be difficult to look through a long list of videos or songs (or whatever), the problem with what you're suggesting is that it gives us borderline useless data in the end. We'll end up knowing that (for example) "Streets" is the fave video from 80s, "One" the fave video from the 90s and "Beautiful Day" the fave video from the 00s ... but we still have no idea what U2 fans say is their favorite overall video.

(The only way to solve that would then be to do another survey with only those three winners as options, but even then you don't have a definitive answer, because there's no guarantee that the same 4,000 people -- or whatever we end up with -- will answer the second survey. So the data is messy.)

In writing the survey, we're aiming to get definitive data about U2 fandom. When it's done, we think it's better if we can all look at the results and definitely say such-and-such is the fave album of fans around the world, the fave live song, the fave video, etc. -- with no questions, no uncertainty, etc.

Does that make sense?

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 11:42:06 PM »
I also can now not remember which ones were having so many options (but maybe like the favorite video... but there were others too)-- on the ones with so many choices, is there any way to either give us the option of choosing more than just one favorite? Or if it is not possible to say "pick 3" (or "pick 5") then would it be possible to break the question down into eras-- say "pick your favorite video from the 80's" or something like that?

To me, it's the same issue as I've described above. Asking people to pick 3 favorites or 5 favorites doesn't lead to definitive data. We don't want to know that "Streets" is one of everyone's top 5 videos, we want to know how many people say it's the best, and do more people say it's the best than any other U2 video?

It's like a presidential election -- you have to choose one. They don't ask you to name your favorite 3 or 5 choices for president. :-) We're not electing a president here, but we would like to definitively know what U2 fans as a whole would choose as the best video, live song, b-side, etc.

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 04:36:57 AM »
That makes sense, Matt, but still it is a terribly hard choice for some of us.  It is similar to what Lorijane was saying earlier-- it is like picking your favorite child... just really can't be done.

Is there any way to do a ranking, say a top 3 (1st, 2nd, 3rd) vids or something like that where you still have some sort of option, instead of an all or nothing?

But I hope that above all, it is clear, in general we really liked the survey.  :)

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
  • Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed...
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 12:05:07 AM »
Hey Matt,
Loved the survey, just wondering when we can expect the results, I am really looking forward to it, and sorry if this has already been asked and answered.

hj

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »
Hey Matt,
Loved the survey, just wondering when we can expect the results, I am really looking forward to it, and sorry if this has already been asked and answered.

hj

We'll start posting results early next month.

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
  • Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed...
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 09:38:33 PM »
Hey Matt,

hj

We'll start posting results early next month.

Is that like a "U2.com" *early* next month? tee hee...
Just kidding...ok early May...I'm looking forward to it!! Thanks M2.