Author Topic: U2's tour itinerary is stale  (Read 9988 times)

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
U2's tour itinerary is stale
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:15:49 PM »
Okay, hear me out. I love U2 live. Their shows are amazing. The best.

However, their itinerary really stinks and has for years.

They've underplayed Europe for years, either giving them a pittance of shows, or some countries with none at all.

They just barely played Russia decades after metal bands first did so.

And they have never played in many places in the world where other western acts have played: India, Malaysia, Korea,etc.

I blame McGuiness. It seems ever since POPmart he's limited the bands legs and where they go. Funny because the Elevation and Vertigo shows were not nearly as elaborate as the stadium tours. Surely they could've found the time to visit some of these places.

But nope. McGuiness has them sticking to the same old itinerary tour after tour.

They're in their final touring years and need to make the best of it. Go to far flung places. Go to Turkey, Egypt, India, Thailand, etc.

It's way past time.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
Re: U2's tour itinerary is stale
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 03:40:28 PM »
Given the sheer number of artists that have played Dubai (they have an annual metal festival, for christ's sake), they should definitely make a stop there on the way to India/Southeast Asia. Maybe even a Tripoli date now that that d-bag Gadhafi's gone.

Offline Velvet Dress

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
I would cry with joy if they ever stopped by Malaysia/Singapore.

But I doubt it'll happen; they're probably too old to start changing their itinerary.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 03:54:06 PM »
Bono avoids south east Asia as it's too hot for him to wear a jacket, meaning his insecurities about his paunch will be exposed through ill fitting t-shirts

Offline Velvet Dress

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bono avoids south east Asia as it's too hot for him to wear a jacket, meaning his insecurities about his paunch will be exposed through ill fitting t-shirts

Ah, so that's why.

Well, they should've stopped here during Popmart then.   And he could always try the early-90s' oversized T-shirt look (though I guess that isn't flattering to his height).

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 04:05:13 PM »

I thought it had more to do with the fact that most south east Asian people can't afford U2's ticket prices.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 05:56:37 PM »

Ah, so that's why.

Well, they should've stopped here during Popmart then.   And he could always try the early-90s' oversized T-shirt look (though I guess that isn't flattering to his height).

They actually did plan on stopping in Singapore during POPmart after their So.American leg but cancelled it along with Cairo, Egypt.

The reason given was that they blew all their profits from their No. American and European legs on overspending in the southern hemisphere(So. Am and Australasia).

They even flew a swirl top to the olive at the end of the stick all the way in from London when the original didn't arrive in time. That and driving their semi-trucks around the Andes wiped out all their gross.

So they cancelled the smaller Singapore and Cairo shows.

But personally, I just think the band was tired of touring the record and wanted to get off the road.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:01:57 PM by mattressjedi »

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 05:16:54 AM »
They should get back to their late 80's itineraries where cities like Hartford, Connecticut were getting 3 arena dates and Melbourne (Australia) saw 7 arena dates over 9 days.  This at a time when Christchurch, New Zealand was able to score a stadium show.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 05:21:46 AM by Domenico of Lovetown »

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 05:58:31 AM »
This stuff about losing a load of money on PopMart is nonsense. The band did a revolutionary deal where they were paid a flat rate per show which automatically put them in profit, wether they sold 1 ticket or 100,000. Promoters then kept the difference between the flat rate and total sales as their profits. If I remember correctly, they were paid approx $1m per show, with $250k per day running costs (including non show days), so any ticket sales over the $1m were profit for the promoter and the band had a guaranteed return. Maybe their budgeting wasn't very good - and Elevation was the first show where McGuinness admitted they kept strictly to the tour budget - but the show was by no means unprofitable.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 06:12:39 AM »

He could incorporate that into a character for the next tour. The fat b*****d tour.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 06:15:39 AM »

He could incorporate that into a character for the next tour. The fat b*****d tour.

The Fatcat tour would be more appropriate.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 02:25:05 PM »
This stuff about losing a load of money on PopMart is nonsense. The band did a revolutionary deal where they were paid a flat rate per show which automatically put them in profit, wether they sold 1 ticket or 100,000. Promoters then kept the difference between the flat rate and total sales as their profits. If I remember correctly, they were paid approx $1m per show, with $250k per day running costs (including non show days), so any ticket sales over the $1m were profit for the promoter and the band had a guaranteed return. Maybe their budgeting wasn't very good - and Elevation was the first show where McGuinness admitted they kept strictly to the tour budget - but the show was by no means unprofitable.

In the southern hemisphere it certaintly was. And no, their budgeting wasn't very good, especially south of the equator. They way overspent. One example was flying in their entire steel grids for the staging by jet(s) instead of using local materials to build the staging for less  :'(
But anyway.

This next tour, if they go indoors, they will have no excuses to underplay Europe. The continent now has plenty of nice mid-size arenas for a good solid arena tour. It didn't 20 years ago but now it does.
And they could play to thousands of fans and never have to step foot outdoors(unless the production was expensive and they needed some open air shows to balance the gross out.

but they could easily scale down the expense(hah! riiiight. I'm dreaming) and stay indoors for an entire leg in Europe and still play to 30-40k fans per show.

It's doable now so they should make it happen.

Imagine if the band had taken that whole Vertigo "coexist" theme to the middle east on tour? Or the whole African nations unite theme while in Africa?
Talk about relevant and timely.

But it carries less impact when you're playing to content middle class in North America.

I'm with Domenico.
They could do an amazing indoor show in the same multi-date Lovetown(Lovemart?) fashion with the song catalogue they now have.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:37:10 PM by mattressjedi »

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »
.... if they lost money on shows they were doing bad logistics and poor planning.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »
.... if they lost money on shows they were doing bad logistics and poor planning.

Yep. The southern hemisphere shows were what the band wanted, especially the Chilean show.
But it was worth it to the band because the crowds were terrific.

And this whole flat rate business doesnt matter much if the promoters are corrupt(Italy). Italian promoters were always undereporting the amount of tickets sold, especially on the AB,JT and POPmart shows.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 02:57:35 PM »
Reggio sold something like 150,000 tickets. I heard that U2 had a helicopter fly over some venues and take photos to get crowd numbers, and also weighed the number of ticket stubs to see what the gap between sales/declared attendees was.