Author Topic: U2's tour itinerary is stale  (Read 9991 times)

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
Re: U2's tour itinerary is stale
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2012, 09:43:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
^jtbaby, u from Sg as well ah? How about Liat Towers too?  :D

(don't mea to get side-tracked. I'm just in awe to find fellow countrymen on this diehard U2 fansite... during off-season. So are you, jtbaby?)

No, an occasional visitor for business

Offline bono2012

• Stateless
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
"third world countries in Asia"?  :o

Sorry, but China and India are indeed third world countries. There are only about 30 countries that are definitly in the first world. I draw the line with Cuba and Mexico. If the average person in your country has a standard of living less than the average person in Cuba and Mexico, then the country is third world.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2012, 01:50:42 PM »

I assume this is sarcasm ?

Of the countries I've visited in Asia I'd put Indonesia and Philippines firmly in the "3rd world" category.

I haven't been outside of Bangkok or Shanghai in Thailand/China but would say they're at best, borderline.

Taiwan, Singapore, Japan, Korea all firmly NON 3rd world.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2012, 03:12:13 PM »

I assume this is sarcasm ?

Of the countries I've visited in Asia I'd put Indonesia and Philippines firmly in the "3rd world" category.

I haven't been outside of Bangkok or Shanghai in Thailand/China but would say they're at best, borderline.

Taiwan, Singapore, Japan, Korea all firmly NON 3rd world.

Most of Shanghai is certainly third world. And their motel beds: can you say the floor is softer? But some small parts of China are modern.

Offline Velvet Dress

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »
I'm sorry skelter, but I think Singapore is culturally, socially and politically third world.   Most of Southeast Asia still is third world in more obvious ways, of course, but in the less tangible ways that matter, Singapore lags behind, say, Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines.   That's one reason why a U2 concert here would not be the best idea, as much as I want it to happen.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2012, 06:58:13 PM »

Sorry, but China and India are indeed third world countries. There are only about 30 countries that are definitly in the first world. I draw the line with Cuba and Mexico. If the average person in your country has a standard of living less than the average person in Cuba and Mexico, then the country is third world.

maybe...but it's a meaningless stat where the touring concert business is concerned. You don't need the majority of people to be able to afford a ticket, just a big enough percentage of people. India's middle class is already bigger than the entire population of the United States, and China can't be that far behind.

Offline bono2012

• Stateless
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »

maybe...but it's a meaningless stat where the touring concert business is concerned. You don't need the majority of people to be able to afford a ticket, just a big enough percentage of people. India's middle class is already bigger than the entire population of the United States, and China can't be that far behind.

Not even close. As of last year, the US economy was still larger than China's and India's economy COMBINED. India's "middle class" on the US level is much smaller and also behind China. Infact China's economy, which is smaller than the US economy, is more than twice the size of India's. India currently ranks at #134 in the world in standard of living, just ahead of Ghana and Congo in Africa.

Another important factor is what U2 actually sells in India. The sales are probably not large enough to support a tour there.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2012, 11:15:01 PM »
their ranking in the world vis a vis standard of living is meaningless. The size of their economy when compared to the US is meaningless; so is the level that that middle class is at when you're talking about that many people. If only 10% of India's middle class are middle class by US/European standards, that's still well over 30 million people...which is, if I remember right, about half the population of the UK. How many shows did they do in the UK on 360?

Maybe U2 isn't popular enough to make a 3 or 4 city tour with something like the Claw worthwhile, but they damn well could do it with a more standard setup.

Offline bono2012

• Stateless
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2012, 12:21:09 AM »
their ranking in the world vis a vis standard of living is meaningless. The size of their economy when compared to the US is meaningless; so is the level that that middle class is at when you're talking about that many people. If only 10% of India's middle class are middle class by US/European standards, that's still well over 30 million people...which is, if I remember right, about half the population of the UK. How many shows did they do in the UK on 360?

Maybe U2 isn't popular enough to make a 3 or 4 city tour with something like the Claw worthwhile, but they damn well could do it with a more standard setup.

I hear ya. The question is, what are U2's sales in India? They would have to be selling a certain amount to justify going there.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »

Not even close. As of last year, the US economy was still larger than China's and India's economy COMBINED. India's "middle class" on the US level is much smaller and also behind China. Infact China's economy, which is smaller than the US economy, is more than twice the size of India's. India currently ranks at #134 in the world in standard of living, just ahead of Ghana and Congo in Africa.

Another important factor is what U2 actually sells in India. The sales are probably not large enough to support a tour there.

No one is talking touring India. We're talking one-off shows.

And if the Stones and Metallica can play those one-offs in India then U2 sure can. They just wont cuz they're lazy. They want the easy shows.