Author Topic: Bono's Birthday Countdown. . .  (Read 33724 times)

Offline Velvet Dress

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Bono's Birthday Countdown. . .
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 05:51:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Beautiful!   Any idea where it's from?   It looks to me like an off-camera scene from that St Patrick's Day clip they did for MTV in 1983.

edit:
Okay I just watched it again, and I think it is!   1982 though.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:59:01 PM by Velvet Dress »

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 06:09:11 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

My shows were like this..... ;)

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »
Ocean- that story (and the photo) is awesome! I had no idea you got to watch from the stage do casually! *way jealous*
Such a cool memory to have!

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 06:54:32 PM »
Yes jab, but wait till we start doing all the newer shows you guys have seen and
the enormous crowds, thats just awesome....like the concerts were he sang Breathe!!!! :)

Offline Snowmoon

• Elevated
  • Through the storm we reach the shore
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »

Offline Snowmoon

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 07:59:26 PM »

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 08:13:18 PM »

<3 but I don't really love that wedding hair!

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 09:12:09 PM »

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 09:36:25 PM »
^i love the story from 'killing bono' about how they created the 'smoking paper' for this shot!  classic!  ;D

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 11:54:12 PM »
^i love the story from 'killing bono' about how they created the 'smoking paper' for this shot!  classic!  ;D

Me too I had never seen a picture of the ad however. Classic. Even then he was so expressive. And I love the Boy ad on the back of the paper.

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 03:19:15 AM »
Good morning Bonogirls and Bonophiles!  Here is Day Two!

As many of you know one thing that is near and dear to Bono's heart is people not having their basic needs met.  He has spoken repeatedly of how it is an injustice in this day and age for people not to have food or drugs that we can access at our corner store.  Stemming from this driving concern, the advocacy organization ONE was co-founded by Bono (which originally started off as DATA (Debt, Aid, Trade for Africa).  But Bono's activism and activities are certainly not limited to ONE.  The HIV/AIDS issue is also a core issue as well as the debt issue and now fighting corruption and lobbying for transparency. (remember the Drop The Debt and Jubilee campaigns?)

So today is dedicated to all of Bono's activism!
(for which I personally give great thanks!  And of course I love it that he loves Ghana!)

An interview of Bono by ONE member where Bono speaks on transparency:

Bono and K'Naan talk about the famine in Somalia:

1GOAL Education for All, a Clinton Global Initiative gathering with Nicholas Kristoff, Queen Rania of Jordan and Bono:

Bono, Jeff Sachs and some ONE members in Ghana last Jan.

Bono vid. on World AIDS Day 2006:
Bono turns Sydney red for World AIDS Day (2010):
Bono and Alicia Keyes interview on World AIDS Day (this year):

Here is a great vid. of Larry also doing his bit:

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »
Faris,
I think you picked the perfect day to highlight Bono’s and U2’s social activism—today Aung San Suu Kyi was sworn into parliament in Burma. I have a lot of political and social activism U2/Bono memories and inspirations but one of the most recent was during the 360 tour in Philly it really hit me that at the start of the tour, Aung Kyi was still under house arrest (I still have my mask!) and by the final leg of the tour she was free and able to record a message to U2 fans. By no means do I think U2/Bono is solely responsible for her release, however they deserve some credit for keeping her in the spotlight and for staying with a cause—from the writing and recording of Walk On to having her address their fans. What a beautiful transition to witness.

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 09:20:23 AM »
i love that, too, beli! the continued support for her throughout...

when i first heard about u2, in the early 80s, i (at the age of 12) had no real 'world awareness' at all, and i wasn't aware enough of the band, yet, to realize any connections they had to groups like amnesty... or to realize the biting criticisms built into songs like 'bullet the blue sky' (although the ominous tone of that song was pretty unmistakable).  and, of course, there was 'do they know it's christmas'... which i did think was way-cool...

then, when the 90's rolled around, and i'd completely lost track of u2, and 'bono the activist' became more widely publicized, his 'celebrity activism' actually annoyed me ('great... ANOTHER 'hippie' celebrity do-gooder hoping to get good press for attaching his name to the 'so & so cause'... ::) )

fast forward to 2009... my rediscovery of the band... more research into the music and the musicians... and it turns out that bono ISN'T just riding the coattails of a good cause... he ISN'T just paying lip service... he's actually in the trenches checking out how things are going at ground level... he's actually spending massive amounts of his own time working for the welfare of these people who, if they cried for help on their own, we'd never hear...

and he continues to work for the causes dear to his heart... never believing things 'can't be done'... ignoring the lambasting and eyerolling he gets from people like my 90's self, who don't fully understand what's happening under the surface of the soundbytes... ignoring the whining of those who wish he'd stick to the next u2 release... going to people like the kennedys... and jeffrey sachs... to gain greater understanding of all the angles of the problems he's hoping to solve... the 'out of the box' thinking, in beginning groups like ONE... and building business models like (RED) (and, btw - was watching HGTV yesterday, and the dude who does the 'desperate landscapes' show was totally wearing a shirt that read: da(red).... 8)  )

this kind of dedication to justice, at the expense of popularity and acceptance (in some circles) is one of the traits i admire most in bono...  he has the kind of courage (on a world-size scale) i wish i had just a sliver of... in my own little world...

photos from his appearance on oprah... during the beginnings of (RED):

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 06:35:54 PM »

This one makes me smile! :) :) :) :) :) thanks Snowmoon!
Jab, faris, Bels..I am thankful for being able to share this time with you
and U2!!!! ;)

Offline Snowmoon

• Elevated
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 06:41:33 PM »

This one makes me smile! :) :) :) :) :) thanks Snowmoon!
Jab, faris, Bels..I am thankful for being able to share this time with you
and U2!!!! ;)
So welcome, wish I could enlarge.  :)