Author Topic: Bono's Birthday Countdown. . .  (Read 33907 times)

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
Re: Bono's Birthday Countdown. . .
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

so heartwarming

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 08:29:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Faris,
I think you picked the perfect day to highlight Bono’s and U2’s social activism—today Aung San Suu Kyi was sworn into parliament in Burma. I have a lot of political and social activism U2/Bono memories and inspirations but one of the most recent was during the 360 tour in Philly it really hit me that at the start of the tour, Aung Kyi was still under house arrest (I still have my mask!) and by the final leg of the tour she was free and able to record a message to U2 fans. By no means do I think U2/Bono is solely responsible for her release, however they deserve some credit for keeping her in the spotlight and for staying with a cause—from the writing and recording of Walk On to having her address their fans. What a beautiful transition to witness.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

When people complain about Bono's speechifying at concerts, I think "I bet ASSK is grateful Bono didn't just shut up and sing."

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »

so heartwarming

Oh, oh, oh, so heartwarming, and even more so since it's my all-time favortie Bono, the girl with the beard.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 08:33:03 PM »
Just a reminder to go to Starbucks during May and get a copy of the Every Mother Counts cd.  Bono and Edge have a beutiful version of Original of the Species on it.  Not a good song to listen to when already emotional about son's high school graduation!  "Baby, slow down, the end is not as fun as the start, please stay a child somewhere in your heart. . ."

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 08:43:04 PM »

We'll just pretend that Bono is thinking about social justice issues here.

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 08:52:10 PM »
Just a reminder to go to Starbucks during May and get a copy of the Every Mother Counts cd.  Bono and Edge have a beutiful version of Original of the Species on it.  Not a good song to listen to when already emotional about son's high school graduation!  "Baby, slow down, the end is not as fun as the start, please stay a child somewhere in your heart. . ."
aww... lj... :(  ((HUG))
but seriously - thanks for the reminder!  i gotta get that with my coffee tomorrow!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:05:55 PM by jabw10 »

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 08:57:26 PM »

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »

so heartwarming
<3 this!

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »
I personally love his Girl with Beard period. . .

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2012, 09:27:57 PM »

+ a hundred million

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2012, 09:31:38 PM »

Thank you! In case anyone doesn't know, the cd raises money for maternal health projects around the world.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »

Thank you! In case anyone doesn't know, the cd raises money for maternal health projects around the world.

It wasn't at my Starbucks when I looked this morning, but I'll be checking every day!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2012, 10:01:54 PM »
I read somewhere that somebody else had to ask about them, and they were in the back.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2012, 02:47:08 AM »

+ a hundred million

I find it insanely hot, that may have to be a theme for the countdown.

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2012, 02:48:57 AM »
Thanks lj for the plug about the Every Mother Counts cd!  Didn't know it was already out.  Wonder how long they'll be around? (for a month or more, do you think?)

Yes, love that pic of the girl with the beard.  :)

Awesome that Aung San Suu Kyi was sworn into office today (yesterday)!
How very special to have seen the show(s) before, while she was still under house-arrest and then after her release.
And special to have had a small part in all of it.  I like how you said, Beli, about how you certainly do not solely credit Bono/ U2 for her release but keeping her in the spotlight must have helped some.  Similarly, I would not consider Bono solely responsible for ARV drugs reaching our little, out of the way corner of Ghana nor the incredible economic growth Ghana has seen over the last 15 years... however, I can't help but think that his constant activism (in both the HIV/ ARV drug and Drop the Debt areas) and getting others on board has been instrumental at the very least.

Jab--you are very right about the B-man's dedication to justice, even at the expense of popularity-- that hits a little close to home for me as well.  (love the da(red) t-shirt reference! Gonna have to find one of those!  :))