Author Topic: Bono's Birthday Countdown. . .  (Read 33709 times)

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
Re: Bono's Birthday Countdown. . .
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 04:20:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This one makes me smile! :) :) :) :) :) thanks Snowmoon!
Jab, faris, Bels..I am thankful for being able to share this time with you
and U2!!!! ;)
So welcome, wish I could enlarge.  :)

I think i will try enlarging this on the weekend! 8)

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 04:23:09 AM »
Just a reminder to go to Starbucks during May and get a copy of the Every Mother Counts cd.  Bono and Edge have a beutiful version of Original of the Species on it.  Not a good song to listen to when already emotional about son's high school graduation!  "Baby, slow down, the end is not as fun as the start, please stay a child somewhere in your heart. . ."
aww... lj... :(  ((HUG))
but seriously - thanks for the reminder!  i gotta get that with my coffee tomorrow!

Theres one right near my house, thanks jab, I will check that out...
faris, i agree, awesome about Aung Suu Kyi in office today....you know Bono has
been an instrument for peace.... 8)

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 05:21:59 AM »
Looking for to fill that God-shaped hole…

No matter what each of us personally believe, it’s impossible to miss the impact that faith and God have had on Bono. 

This always fascinates me, because it seems that he became closer to God after the tragic loss of his mother.  Sure, people often find God in their darkest moments (easier to see the light?), but I think to myself that, if it had been me who lost a parent as an adolescent, I would have been more tempted to get so angry with God about it that I’d want to defect from his presence altogether.  Not our boy, though… he ran toward faith instead. 

Maybe it was the only thing left to hold onto at the time, but it put him on a course to his present life.  His friends & bandmates were intertwined in that faith community of Shalom early on… the lyrics of so many U2 songs have had spiritual and even scriptural undertones/quotes… in his determination to try and better the world, he continuously points to how many scriptures mention the poor, widows & orphans…

Some of my favorite reminders of his faith show up in these clips:

The final benediction on the Moncton audience (at about 3:08) during ‘40’
(personal side-note… my re-connection with the band was [maybe subliminally] fostered in part by the fact that the band at my bro’s church played ‘40’ during a service I went to when visiting town… hmm…now how to get my current church to see the light in that regard… ;)  )

At the end of the band’s 9-11 Tribute song “Walk On,” during the ‘Hallelujahs’… (about 4:36) he begins those shouts of ‘I’m comin home!’ and “see you when I get home, sister!’…  confident celebrations of faith during a time of mourning… (i…will be with you again…)

That was a powerful performance to watch as a believer, but Bono’s passion was infectious even to some who don’t consider themselves to be ‘religious’:

Several months later, at the superbowl performance, the goal is still soul (4:44) and there’s the prayer before streets (6:36)

Not to mention that I love the blessing on the ‘Elevation’ tour by Jack Heaslip…

How have Bono's faith and spirituality touched you?   

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 05:37:32 AM »
jab,

That was and is awesome. Thank you for sharing. I agree you cannot separate Bono from his faith, and it irks me how his critics don't see it. Or refuse to. I personally hope he goes back to the Bible for the next album because to m that is where he is at his best as a songwriter because he is able to share his view of faith and God with us-- 40, UTEOTW, Stranger in a Strange Land, etc, etc.

But what I love about Bono is that he has proved, at least to me, that a rich man can get into heaven. That you can be the swinging rock star and still be a man of faith and humility. That religion can be individualized, without rules and well, fun as well as rewarding and healing. That you can still question the injustice in the world and still believe that we as a people can resolve it, that you believe that is our duty and our mission in life.

One of my favorite Bono moments was at the Baltimore gig right after 9-11-- still my favorite U2 show-- sadly I forget which song he said this during but he made a comment that "He is close to God who makes his friends laugh -- Koran".   To me this is the paradox that makes Bono Bono that duality that always manages to balance itself out-- he can be preachy as he is at every concert but that is tempered with him not taking himself too seriously. He doesn't tell anyone how to believe he just shares his own beliefs with the world. Another thing his critics don't get.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 06:28:11 AM »
I think the Every Mother Counts will be at Starbucks the month of May, but I only saw four at my Starbucks, so unless they had more in the back, they might sell out earlier.  I think you can order it on their website, too.

Bono truly walks the walk as well as talking the talk.  I will post more later.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:38:24 AM by lorijane »

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 08:09:12 AM »
You can use the link off the home page here to go right to the Starbucks' online store and order there if your local one doesn't have it.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2012, 08:31:24 AM »
Hmmm. I have no time to contribute but I dont mind looking!

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2012, 11:35:25 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This one makes me smile! :) :) :) :) :) thanks Snowmoon!
Jab, faris, Bels..I am thankful for being able to share this time with you
and U2!!!! ;)
So welcome, wish I could enlarge.  :)

I think i will try enlarging this on the weekend! 8)
Great idea Ocean!  When you figure it out-- let me know!  :)

Thanks lj and mdmom for the tips-- heading off to see if I can locate the cd online.  :)

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2012, 11:50:48 AM »
The psalm Bono says sometimes before Streets gives me goosebumps. "What can I give back to God for the blessings he's poured out on me. . ."  Here's a version shown during halftime of the NBA finals (not sure of the year). 

And who can talk about Bono and spirituality and not post a pic of Bono and his rosary?

I know there are other ones out there, can anybody help me out?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:57:06 AM by lorijane »

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2012, 12:13:40 PM »
Thank you jab for all you said.
I don't know how to say it without sounding corny but I love all what you wrote and it meant a lot to me.
I also love how Bono has been able (through all of life's ups and downs) to continue to allow his faith to guide all he does... how it is an integral part of who he is. And that faith (love?) then flows out into all the other aspects of his life--be it his music, his relationships, his various advocacy issues, all of life.  And in this, I find a mentor.
Thank you for sharing-- you said it all so well.
I also love the blessing from Elevation tour.

Here you go lj! True to what we talked about -- thought we needed some rosary pics!  ;D
(these are just shamelessly stolen from the BRMW thread  :D)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2012, 12:24:33 PM »
I really love the style of those shirts... especially when he doesnt button them up!!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »
Thanks, faris!  I think Bono would appreciate how we are mixing the sacred and the profane, since he's such a master of it!  And on BEdge day (next Tuesday), I am totally "sampling" from the BEdge thread!

Yahweh and 40, from the Chicago Vertigo DVD.  I like how at the end, Bono hangs his rosary on the mic stand and says "for Father (can't tell the name), at Notre Dame University."

Offline Belisama

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2012, 01:57:56 PM »
Thanks, faris!  I think Bono would appreciate how we are mixing the sacred and the profane, since he's such a master of it!  And on BEdge day (next Tuesday), I am totally "sampling" from the BEdge thread!

Yahweh and 40, from the Chicago Vertigo DVD.  I like how at the end, Bono hangs his rosary on the mic stand and says "for Father (can't tell the name), at Notre Dame University."

I have a quote about that which I will post when I get home. . . but good to know we gals think alike.

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »
You are very welcome, lj! We have to stick together!  ;D
Looking forward to that quote, B.

And thanks also for the links, Jab.
Downloading the Moncton one! Love it--sans glasses!

Offline Belisama

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »
I know this is the day to celbrate the spirituality of Bono but lj took me down the primrose path. . . this is one of my favorite quotes about our man and it comes from an Oct 25, 2005 news blip from the @U2.com:

Breaking news: woman thinks Bono is sexy

In USA Today’s “Pop Candy” column, Whitney Matheson lists men she thinks ought to be named People magazine’s “Sexiest Man Alive.” (Warning to sensitive readers: the column contains some mild Jude Law bashing.) Our pal Bono is Whitney’s number one pick:

1. Bono. He sings! He unites! He wears leather pants! In my mind, People’s pick should be a no-brainer this year–and the fact the mag has never named a rock star the sexiest man alive makes it all the more reason why his time has come.

…Not that I spend my break time at work reading this kind of stuff.

What I love about Bono is that few men can tred the line between the spiritual and the carnal (just check out the Sexual References thread). And nothing reflects that more than Bono rosary pictures. . .