Author Topic: New U2?  (Read 14203 times)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
Re: New U2?
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2012, 03:46:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hmm, that could be an issue - perhaps they'll have fewer shows, or try to make them as spaced out as the stadium shows were?
Still, i'd rather they released a song that was difficult to sing, that couldn't be played every night, than compromise on their albums in order to make them easier to play.

Oh definitely. I know where you're coming from.

My only flack was that I'd like to see Bono sing more from a range that comes natural to him, rather than extremely high up like that.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2012, 05:09:42 PM »
Yeah, that would be good as well - his voice is probably stronger in that range. Let's hope that we see a bit of both on the next album!

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2012, 08:08:48 AM »
Sounds like muzak. If this is U2 thinking it all up again I'm not impressed.  I doubt this is recent.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:12:30 AM by Manos73 »

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2012, 09:46:49 AM »
Bono is in surprisingly good voice here. I had not expected to hear his voice so clearly and strong at the same time. It's definitely Larry on drums in both clips. That's his style. Also, both clips have got quite strong piano parts which add to the hymnic quality of the songbits. I also like the way these piano parts are mixed. That is much different to the plonky-plonk intros of songs like "City Of Blinding Lights" and "Breathe" even though it sounds like it's the same piano player. The tremolo guitar on the 2nd clip is like a positive remainder of the Rattle & Hum era. "A Room At the Heartbreak Hotel" comes to mind. The lyrics, well, I can't make out what they are supposed to be about but I'm no native speaker so it might as well not be gibberish.

The clips sound very unfinished but pleasant. And when I compare them to the new Norah Jones album which I have just gotten the day before yesterday, U2 might be most interested in the jazzy side of Danger Mouse's productions - IF this is him who mixed these demos.

I guess any hint these clips might give us only indicates we haven't heard nothing yet.

But the lack of any obvious lead guitar parts seems to rule out these tracks as from being before, say, 2000.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2012, 02:36:43 PM »
sounds GRRRREEEEEAAAAATTTT!!!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2012, 11:42:09 PM »
I honestly don't know what you all are hearing. To me, this sounds absolutely horrible. Bono sounds raspy and thin, and well out of his range.

Offline Springbok

• Wanderer
  • Let Go and Let God
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2012, 07:30:15 AM »
I honestly don't know what you all are hearing. To me, this sounds absolutely horrible. Bono sounds raspy and thin, and well out of his range.

Wisdom from The Exile

zootv

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2012, 10:20:37 AM »

I think you need to give Bono a break here. These sound like pretty raw recordings, not intended for release. I'd like to see how many other 50+ rock stars sound great pre - production.

satellitedog01

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2012, 10:36:52 AM »
That's not who Bono is up against...

satellitedog01

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2012, 10:37:35 AM »
Nor did he ask for a break.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »

I think you need to give Bono a break here. These sound like pretty raw recordings, not intended for release. I'd like to see how many other 50+ rock stars sound great pre - production.

I'm not faulting Bono, I am questioning everyone else for gushing all over these recordings which, like I said, sound awful.

zootv

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »
That's not who Bono is up against...
Nor did he ask for a break.

What are you talking about?

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2012, 01:17:14 PM »

I'm not faulting Bono, I am questioning everyone else for gushing all over these recordings which, like I said, sound awful.

dude, it's a demo.

zootv

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2012, 01:19:41 PM »

I'm not a Bono defender, but it certainly sounds like your faulting him.

zootv

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2012, 01:20:39 PM »

dude, it's a demo.

+ 1