Author Topic: New U2?  (Read 14204 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: New U2?
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2012, 01:28:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I honestly don't know what you all are hearing. To me, this sounds absolutely horrible. Bono sounds raspy and thin, and well out of his range.

I think you need to give Bono a break here. These sound like pretty raw recordings, not intended for release. I'd like to see how many other 50+ rock stars sound great pre - production.

I'm not faulting Bono, I am questioning everyone else for gushing all over these recordings which, like I said, sound awful.

dude, it's a demo.

Exactly, which is why it doesn't sound as great as everyone here seems to indicate. It's no big deal, I am just genuinely surprised that people whose taste I usually trust are hearing something promising. In fact, at one point I thought that surely I had downloaded the wrong files!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
I honestly don't know what you all are hearing. To me, this sounds absolutely horrible. Bono sounds raspy and thin, and well out of his range.

I think you need to give Bono a break here. These sound like pretty raw recordings, not intended for release. I'd like to see how many other 50+ rock stars sound great pre - production.

I'm not faulting Bono, I am questioning everyone else for gushing all over these recordings which, like I said, sound awful.

I'm not a Bono defender, but it certainly sounds like your faulting him.

If you weren't a "Bono defender," then you wouldn't care if I am faulting him.

PS - We don't need to pursue this, but like I said I am just surprised that these clips are getting the positive response they are, that's all.

zootv

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2012, 01:36:04 PM »

PS - We don't need to pursue this, but like I said I am just surprised that these clips are getting the positive response they are, that's all.

I suppose it was just me stating the obvious as far as your critique of the clips were concerned. They are what they are and really shouldn't be held up to too much scrutiny

satellitedog01

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2012, 02:09:51 PM »
That's not who Bono is up against...
Nor did he ask for a break.

What are you talking about?

The defense based on his age, and that U2 wants to compete with a generation 20 years younger than themselves.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:11:32 PM by satellitedog01 »

zootv

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2012, 02:21:20 PM »

The defense based on his age, and that U2 wants to compete with a generation 20 years younger than themselves.

I was just making the point that those clips shouldn't be harshly criticized. Whether you feel its a valid excuse or not, Bono is over 50 and is in need of some help in terms of production for his voice. I was not referencing the fact that they want to compete with younger bands in any way.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2012, 02:22:32 PM »

Why do you find them so awful though? I think there's a lot of promise in there, personally. But would be interesting to know what you find so bad ;)

satellitedog01

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2012, 02:31:10 PM »

I was just making the point that those clips shouldn't be harshly criticized. Whether you feel its a valid excuse or not, Bono is over 50 and is in need of some help in terms of production for his voice. I was not referencing the fact that they want to compete with younger bands in any way.

It's cool, I just find age a bad excuse for a rock star.

zootv

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2012, 02:34:42 PM »

It's cool, I just find age a bad excuse for a rock star.

As do I but in terms of his voice, it is what it is.

satellitedog01

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2012, 03:51:11 PM »
A couple of sketches.

Offline Babyface1411

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »
Here's a video of Danger Mouse talking about U2

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2012, 04:53:14 PM »

dude, it's a demo.

+ 1

+2

We all know these songs will go through about 270 revisions before they're finished.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2012, 05:49:45 PM »

Why do you find them so awful though? I think there's a lot of promise in there, personally. But would be interesting to know what you find so bad ;)

As many of you know, I'm all about vocals. That's why I have always loved Kite, even though I don't think the lyrics are all that remarkable. And as many of you also know, I have been pleading for Bono to stop singing so out of his range. And it's just that these clips demonstrate what has frustrated me about Bono for so long.

But so what? If they're real, and if U2 is actually working on something new, then I will be first in line to buy like I have been for years.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2012, 11:59:42 PM »
These demos sound decent, but I don't see a reason to claim them as something incredible yet.

Although I do like Edge's twangy guitar thingy in the first demo.

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »
Here's a video of Danger Mouse talking about U2

Thanks for posting. It was good to actually hear Danger Mouse confirming he is working with U2.
His "it's been going on for a little while" comment is especially encouraging.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2012, 01:42:57 AM »
By reading this thread (among others) i think i am safe to say that you have finally succeeded!!
Yes they have succeeded in reaching a younger audience, a very young audience, almost child-like...