Author Topic: How about a "like this post" feature?  (Read 3005 times)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
How about a "like this post" feature?
« on: June 16, 2012, 11:20:25 AM »
There's another forum I use (forum.rifftrax.com) that uses the same program as this forum. They've just updated recently and one new addition is a "like" feature, where you can like someone's post. I think this would be a great feature for @U2's forum.

Just wanted to throw that out there. :)

The Grave

Re: How about a "like this post" feature?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 06:52:26 PM »
I'd be getting like SO many likes

but yeah I like the idea

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 09:33:24 PM »
A "like" button adds nothing to whatever discussion it is applied to. Our concept with this forum is to have people contribute to discussions and not make them into popularity contests to see who has the most "likes". I'm totally against this concept.

Press "like" if you agree with me.  :P

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 09:07:50 PM »
I think the world would be a better place if it was less like FB ... with their likes, their pokes, and their timelines.

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:36:59 AM »
Practically speaking, i don't think a like option would have any impact on the forum.  But conceptually speaking I like the idea.  I don't see Like as a popularity contest.  I see it more as encouraging worthwhile posts as opposed to inane posts.  If you consistently got no likes, perhaps you'd learn nobody finds your posts interesting and would either stop or talk about something different.

I think I asked in the past for the ability to thumbs up or down a post/thread which I think would be more effective than just a like button.  But the response was similar.  The mods felt like it would turn the forum into a popularity contest.  I can see that perspective - so c'est la vie.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Practically speaking, i don't think a like option would have any impact on the forum.  But conceptually speaking I like the idea.  I don't see Like as a popularity contest.  I see it more as encouraging worthwhile posts as opposed to inane posts.  If you consistently got no likes, perhaps you'd learn nobody finds your posts interesting and would either stop or talk about something different.

I think I asked in the past for the ability to thumbs up or down a post/thread which I think would be more effective than just a like button.  But the response was similar.  The mods felt like it would turn the forum into a popularity contest.  I can see that perspective - so c'est la vie.
Which would be kind of rude, I think. If you have a problem just tell them, instead of ignoring their posts. Or it would hurt their feelings/insult them. I mean, talk about what you want to talk about, right? As long as it pertains to the discussion.

Having a "like" button would be strange... conversations could turn into nothing but liking people's posts instead of talking... I agree that it would add nothing to the discussion.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 09:01:40 AM »
A "like" button adds nothing to whatever discussion it is applied to. Our concept with this forum is to have people contribute to discussions and not make them into popularity contests to see who has the most "likes". I'm totally against this concept.

I think the world would be a better place if it was less like FB ... with their likes, their pokes, and their timelines.
You know, I would have expected a more mature response from mods.

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 09:29:46 AM »

Which would be kind of rude, I think. If you have a problem just tell them, instead of ignoring their posts. Or it would hurt their feelings/insult them. I mean, talk about what you want to talk about, right? As long as it pertains to the discussion.

Having a "like" button would be strange... conversations could turn into nothing but liking people's posts instead of talking... I agree that it would add nothing to the discussion.

I don't see it as rude.  It's just more of a feedback system that people know what kinds of posts other people find interesting.  Without any feedback, how do you know whether what you say has any resonance?  I suppose you could say if nobody replies directly to your posts - that could be a sign.  If somebody engages in dialogue with you, then you've certainly struck a chord somewhere.  But some kind of feedback system would allow you to say you enjoyed or appreciated the post even if you have nothing to add to it.

Again, any like button or thumbs up/down probably wouldn't have any practical effect.  I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine that I've got to wade through a lot of "filler" to read posts that are truly interesting or having something new to say.  So in my perfect world, there would be some way to promote the good stuff.  That is all.

Overall I appreciate the forum and the work the mods do to maintain it .  I'm not really complaining.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 08:53:03 PM »

Miami66 likes this post

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 11:39:17 PM »

You must be new here.  :P

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 11:39:40 PM »

Actually, Joe explained it pretty well. But hopefully, he'll be disciplined for attempting to add some humor at the end of his post.

And me? Well, my response was more to do with FB, and less to do with your idea. Suggestions from members are usually thrown aroun between the Mods to see if any of them stick. This "like button" idea was brought up sometime last year

and we came to the conclusion that we didn't want it. However, since then, m2 may have had some sort of revelation, and now he wants it. And then Joe and I will be sent to the back of the bus.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 01:40:49 PM »
Fair enough.