Author Topic: 5 star review  (Read 10823 times)

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
Re: 5 star review
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 04:08:09 AM »
U2 on the cover of the N.M.E., 14th March 1987.

Y’see, there was this band from Ireland….

Offline dislexoteche

• Stateless
  • helping God across the road like a little old lady
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2009, 04:24:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I dunno - the relationship between a magazine/paper and musical act shouldn't affect the ratings and reviews as much as the amount of exposure the act gets. I'd say the fact that U2 have regularly featured in NME, often in massive articles which coincide with the latest album, is a much better indicator that U2 have a healthy relationship with NME. If they really wanted to hurt U2, they would ignore their work as much as possible. 

do the NME have still that huge influence in the UK? and i don´t think that NME will give a high rate as their aren´t people who know much about music.  but they push bands with a ove       hype which arent that good.

Yeah - they do have a fair bit of influence in the UK music industry. I totally agree with you though - they're really into the young, cool trendy bands with very little in the way of substance.  

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2009, 07:12:28 AM »
The review isnt out yet, but on the back of The Telegraph today there is a huge advert for nloth with a quote from Q magazine that says 'their greatest album' 5 stars - Oh yeah!!!!!

Well, someone must have tipped U2 about the review.  How can they even know it was 5 stars?  Perhaps they pushed their weight and used their influence (plus advertising money) on Q Magazine?  It is definitely odd to boast of something that hasn't even been announced or published yet.  Perhaps in the next ad, they can put "2010 Grammy Album Of The Year."

Cheers,

J

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2009, 08:35:21 AM »
Jick, magazine copy writes are usually finalized and approved at least a month before circulation. It's also standard industry practice that the artist who provides an advance copy for reviewing gets to read the review.

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2009, 10:25:13 AM »
do the NME have still that huge influence in the UK? and i don´t think that NME will give a high rate as their aren´t people who know much about music.  but they push bands with a overrated hype which arent that good.

Probably the best bit of Pitchfork, even if the guy writing is a Smiths fan.

• Numb
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2009, 03:54:34 PM »
The New Musical Express (better known as the NME) is a popular music magazine in the United Kingdom which has been published weekly since March 1952. It was the first British paper to include a singles chart, which first appeared in the 14 November 1952 edition.

NME is kind of the grand daddy of all rock n roll publications.

NME however have not always been at the forefront of music .

The NME took to Grunge very slowly ("Sounds" was the first British music paper to write about grunge with John Robb being the first person to interview Nirvana. Melody Maker was more enthusiastic early on, largely through the efforts of Everett True, who had previously written for NME under the name "The Legend!"). For the most part, NME only became interested in grunge after Nevermind became popular.

NME have only recently come on board with U2 music. Whereas magazines like Rolling Stone called U2 the future of rock n roll from the early 80s, NME were very luke warm on the band possibly because they did not create enough stir off stage for their liking. They didn't like the direction that U2 had taken pseudo-punk music out of the 70s.  However as time has passed NME have slowly achieved a begrudging respect for U2 because of their longevity. All their writers now are children of a U2 dominated era and for that, they have to give some kudos to the great band.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2009, 03:57:58 PM »
wouldn't wipe my ar*e with the nme, a music tabloid best described as ''a rag''

shockdocta22

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2009, 03:58:20 PM »
NME opinion is way more important that Qs

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2009, 03:59:49 PM »
if your 14

shockdocta22

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2009, 04:03:26 PM »
if your 14

are you referring to me or Bads316

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2009, 04:07:34 PM »
if your 14

are you referring to me or Bads316

er....yoohoo, its a pretty pointless argument really, but Q is read by a far wider demographic than nme no?

shockdocta22

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2009, 05:01:17 PM »
yes but Q has always loved U2 so NME is a harder reviewer to get a good word out of

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2009, 05:22:29 PM »
yes but Q has always loved U2 so NME is a harder reviewer to get a good word out of

right, so that makes Kerrangs review even more important does it? Its a pretty general, sweeping statement really, but if the nme review is more important to you then fair enough, I think that seeing as Q have only given 5 stars to JT & AB before its a pretty good reason to be a bit more excited, I predict an 8 from nme, & 4 stars in Mojo - what d'ya reckon?

• Numb
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2009, 05:33:14 PM »
I want someone to accurately tell me in their review if Magnificent and Moment of Surrender are classics or wantabees.

Because that is the crutch of the issue.

There seems to be two camps for reviewers:-

1)   think the back end of NLOTH is far superior to the start.
2)   Think that M and MOS are up with One, Streets etc.

Which is correct?

shockdocta22

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2009, 05:34:36 PM »
both are, too bad some arent saying too many praises about MOs