Author Topic: Why the WORLD needs U2  (Read 1262 times)

Offline sbrownell

• Babyface
  • The Streets really have no name
Why the WORLD needs U2
« on: July 28, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »

As I have purchased everything possible that is U2 Music.  As I have traveled like a groupie for the thrill of the opening of 360 for 3 years/  As I have listened to every iteration of almost every song ever released to the public.  I had to ask myself. 

Why the World needs U2

I would like to start a thread that I hope will catch on.

I feel that the World needs U2 because of how you feel after you go to a U2 Show.  You have to admit it is sort of soul cleansing!

What might your comment be?

Offline busy5mom

• Stateless
Re: Why the WORLD needs U2
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 11:20:59 AM »
Because when Bono sings "You take me higher..." he really does. Because for some, a stadium or an arena may be the only "church" they ever step foot in. Because when so much of rock 'n roll makes evil look cool ... U2 does the exact opposite. I could go on and on ... Cool thread!

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Because when Bono sings "You take me higher..." he really does. Because for some, a stadium or an arena may be the only "church" they ever step foot in. Because when so much of rock 'n roll makes evil look cool ... U2 does the exact opposite. I could go on and on ... Cool thread!

Cool response busy5mom.... :) great song too....

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »
Because when they throw themselves into their performance heart and soul, and just give it all, something amazing happens and the whole atmosphere changes - the audience feeds on it and give back to the band and the band maybe then feed off the energy coming from the audience and the whole place comes alive when they play.  The way Bono gets inside his songs, the chemistry of the 4, their style, their sound.  The adrenaline rush that I get when I see them is incredible. 

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »
The world needs U2 because they make music, and the world needs music.

U2 are a pretty great band though ;D (understatement)

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:09:15 AM »
The world needs U2 to save everybody from the torrential downpour of sh**e music currently inhabiting the airwaves.  U2 play real instruments, don't use autotune (at least not obviously), write their own lyrics, don't plagiarise riffs or choruses from 80's songs, and don't have that horrible "FEAT. (insert rapper)" written after their name. 

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 03:43:13 AM »
The world needs U2 to save the music listening public from posers and wannabes like Coldplay and Radiohead who write nothing but derivative music disguised as something compelling and original.

At least U2 makes no pretensions and declares/accepts the need for pop radio.

Cheers,

J

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 11:46:54 AM »
The WORLD doesn't really need U2, they need some teenagers in a garage somewhere who want to be what U2 was to the music world in the 80's/90's, what Zeppelin, Springsteen, & Bowie where in the 70's, and what Dylan, the Stones, and the Beatles where in the 60's. The WORLD needs a new band who will come out and give rock n roll the kick in the a$$ that it needs.

U2 will always have an impact to their own fan base and will pick some new fans up also, but they are well beyond the point where the "WORLD needs them". U2 should now just create music for the joy of it, not 'cause it's needed. Let someone else carry that torch.

Offline CrisSky

• Babyface
  • Hello, I love U2! I am a singer as well.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »
The world needs no band. Well, maybe it does... Lets see, the people of this world need U2 because there are a lot of people in this world who need U2 in their world. So in the end, U2 is needed in this world. The 360 tour proving that.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 06:16:45 PM »
The world needs no band. Well, maybe it does... Lets see, the people of this world need U2 because there are a lot of people in this world who need U2 in their world. So in the end, U2 is needed in this world. The 360 tour proving that.
I agree, and I also like what So Cruel said.

The world needs U2 because the world needs music, and U2 happen to make music. It doesn't matter who makes music, I think, as long as it's made anyway.

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 07:35:29 PM »
The world needs U2 to save the music listening public from posers and wannabes like Coldplay and Radiohead who write nothing but derivative music disguised as something compelling and original.

At least U2 makes no pretensions and declares/accepts the need for pop radio.

Cheers,

J

Oh brother.  Here we go again.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »
I agree with jick in the first half of his post before he devolves into his usual silliness.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 06:13:00 AM »
It just does.... :D

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 08:47:10 AM »
No one needs U2.

We like U2.

They write stuff we like.

What the world needs is Ice cream.

Offline StickOnTattoos

• Stateless
  • Thats all there is/leaves thatr green turn t brown
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 08:42:55 PM »
The world needs u2 'cos they are sexy mofos. ;)