Author Topic: Does Bono still smoke?  (Read 13266 times)

Offline connorfin22

• Intellectual Tortoise
Does Bono still smoke?
« on: August 01, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »
Does he still smoke? Is that whats damaging his voice? Would his voice sound better if he had never smoked

Offline TheLarryMullenBand

• Numb
  • Let's go to places no one else has been
Re: Does Bono still smoke?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 05:41:14 PM »
His voice has been improving since it's all-time low around Elevation Tour. Even though his 360 Tour voice sounded thinner and higher, he doesn't strain his voice as much as he used to for years. I definitely think he's changed his technique over the past few years and it shows. Who knows if he still smokes, but the way his voice sounded for much of the 360 tour maybe he doesn't anymore or he's cut back. Either way, for the severe amount of damage he did to his voice and considering his current age, he is voice is in pretty solid shape in my opinion.

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:04:04 PM »
He started smoking in the 1990's and quit when he was admitted to hospital during PopMart tour in 1997 after suffering persistent problems with his voice, a potentially career-ending sinus infection.  He admitted that he felt smoking helped his voice sound more masculine. Then in 2010 he started smoking again because he was so bored during his recovery after his back surgery.  I'm not sure if he stopped since then. 

Offline sw

• Running to Stand Still
  • At the home office it's always March 2010.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:09:21 PM »
I think it was last year that a photo of him was shared on this site in which he was smoking, outside of a bar in NYC (because you can't smoke indoors in public places here). But, a lot of people do that casually and aren't very into it (although I do believe no amount is safe).

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 10:36:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it was last year that a photo of him was shared on this site in which he was smoking, outside of a bar in NYC (because you can't smoke indoors in public places here). But, a lot of people do that casually and aren't very into it (although I do believe no amount is safe).

I remember that picture.  It was taken during the after-party for an Edun fashion show.  I remember it because it was sort of a rare Bono sighting in that he had on a short-sleeved t-shirt and you almost never see Bono in short-sleeves. 

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 06:44:07 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

i think so. :D

Offline missbigkiss

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 12:36:39 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

i think so. :D

Me too  :D

Offline popbonobuzzbaby

• Running to Stand Still
  • Walk out, into a sunburst street...
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 10:33:41 PM »

I remember that picture.  It was taken during the after-party for an Edun fashion show.  I remember it because it was sort of a rare Bono sighting in that he had on a short-sleeved t-shirt and you almost never see Bono in short-sleeves.

Yes there were at least 2 pics of him smoking in 2011. That one and another from earlier in the year of him lighting up.

And of course, the cigars.  ;)

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 08:37:38 AM »
I dont think he could smoke too much or his voice would be really raspy.

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 11:25:53 PM »

He did the heaviest smoking during ZooTv