Author Topic: will.i.am intimidated by U2  (Read 2586 times)

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
will.i.am intimidated by U2
« on: August 04, 2012, 07:25:42 AM »
will.i.am was "intimidated" by the "U2-ness" of U2 when he worked alongside them.

The Black Eyed Peas musician and producer has rubbished claims his song I Got A Feeling "borrows" it's melody from the Irish band's track I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight.

will admits working with the iconic band made him a little jittery though.

"It sounds nothing like that. I recorded for a month with U2. Even though I worked with Michael Jackson, their U2-ness intimidated me," he told NME magazine.

"I didn't know how to suggest a song from scratch. So I co-produced I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight and kept I Got A Feeling for us."

will also worked with Cheryl Cole on her new album. The singer recorded a rap song for A Million Lights, but it didn't make the record. will - who can't remember the title - is glad they did it anyway.

"I did it as an exercise. A lot was happening at that time so I was kind of using it as therapy," he revealed.

Cover Media

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Spilling Over the Brim

• Stateless
Re: will.i.am intimidated by U2
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »
"...their U2-ness intimidated me." LOL

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 09:38:14 AM »
hah thats funny that MJ didn't intimidate him and U2 did. I mean, can't BOTH be intimidating?

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 11:27:42 AM »
He actually thought U2 would have recorded the repetitive garbage that is I Gotta Feeling?

Offline Spilling Over the Brim

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 11:28:09 AM »
I'm sure Michael Jackson certainly could be intimidating, I have little doubt of that. Perhaps he wasn't that way in the studio though. Supposedly Jackson approached U2 sometime after losing the Album of the Year award to them at the 1987 Grammy's. Apparently he wanted to tape the band in the studio and see how they worked. I guess he must have been impressed and wanted to learn a thing or two from U2. From what I understand the band turned him down and were a little bit weirded out. But I suppose if he had been able able to tape and view them in the studio he would have been better prepared to intimidate will.i.am.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »
I have both of these on my mp3 player and had a listen to them at the gym tonight.   No resemblance in my book.  For the record, i think I Gotta Feeling is better.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:02:27 PM by dirtdrybonesandstone »

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 11:43:35 PM »
I have both of these on my mp3 player and had a listen to them at the gym tonight.   No resemblance in my book.  For the record, i think I Gotta Feeling is better.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline johno11

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 05:30:50 PM »
I think "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" is U2's worse song ever, and I love the NLOTH album.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 08:34:08 AM »
U2 shouldn't have intimidated will.i.am so that he would have produced the next album.

Cheers,

J

Offline ultraviolet12

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »

He should be.  >:(

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 04:24:10 AM »
u2 associating with the joke that is will.i.am absolutely ridicules any musical integrity they had left. the guy hasn't a clue about music (did anyone see him on 'the voice'?) and comes across as a pretty mixed up guy who has the equivalent intelligence of a wooden door. 'where is the love' is the only decent thing he has been involved in... the rest is absolute garbage and in no way should his ilk be associated in any way with u2. i only hope they never see fit to associate with anyone like him again... and then they go off and call up david guetta :(

Offline horizon

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 09:13:53 PM »
as he should be. and what exactly is U2-ness?

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 01:47:11 PM »
i think will is obsessed with U2, so he got starstruck

YeahNoYeah

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 11:49:07 AM »
I think "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" is U2's worse song ever, and I love the NLOTH album.

Insanity. I love the song, can't get enough of it.