Author Topic: Views on piracy?  (Read 657 times)

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
Views on piracy?
« on: August 09, 2012, 05:09:47 PM »
What do you guys think concerning online music piracy? I know many of you listen to bootlegs, mostly of live concerts, but what about illegally downloading albums? Many people credit it to ruining the music industry by lowering album sales. However, the possibility of free music outweighs the negative points for many people. Your views?

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Re: Views on piracy?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 09:51:36 PM »
I've no problem with downloading something to see if you like it, but if you do end up liking it, I think it's a good idea to go ahead and buy the CD.....or at the least go to that artist's concert or buy some merch to support them. There's also the option of getting a paid subscription to a place like Spotify, which of course pays royalties to stream the artist's music.

As for this ruining the music industry? No way. People don't buy as many albums today because (1) the quality of music has drastically declined and (2) most people only buy a single song or two off an album. Why buy the whole thing if you don't like it?

Offline TheLarryMullenBand

• Numb
  • Let's go to places no one else has been
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 10:06:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As for this ruining the music industry? No way. People don't buy as many albums today because (1) the quality of music has drastically declined and (2) most people only buy a single song or two off an album. Why buy the whole thing if you don't like it?

This is pretty dead on, I agree.

smee

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 06:19:44 AM »
I download albums here and there. But in fairness to me....if i like the album, i will go and buy it. Thats a sale that would NEVER have happened unless i had got to hear the album first.
If anything....piracy has managed to bring the price of music in UK to a more reasonable price. I have all the Beatles CDs. I bought many of them in the Mid 90s. back then, i was being charged about 17 for the cds...even tho most of their lbums were only approx 30 mins long. So thanx to piracy, it has driven down prices.

And...i also happen to agree....if quality of an item is good enuff...people will buy. Music nowadays is of poor quality. This is backed up by the fact, that last year, in the UK.....old albums outsold new releases. Says it all really

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:02:47 AM »
Back in the early '00s, Narilyn Manson was asked about this, and he gave the best response I've ever read - that anyone who was downloading any of his albums after they'd been officially released was basically working for him as unpaid promotion staff, so he didn't have any problem with it. It was the unreleased/leaked music being circulated that bothered him.

I should point out that, when Metallica sued Napster, it was circulation of their unreleased stuff that was the point of contention.

Offline JBS

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 08:19:35 AM »
Some long reads here but interesting points made on both sides of the argument in the links below:

and

Personally I do use Spotify to check out new music and if it catches my ear then I will go out/go online and buy the album.