Author Topic: What is U2s Worst Show?  (Read 8141 times)

Online briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: What is U2s Worst Show?
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 06:44:14 AM »
Down the front also has it's moments though, often you're surrounded by people who have been to 28 shows and are really only there again to either:

a) have another crack at getting pulled out of the crowd
b) hear something they haven't already

Until either of those things happen, they will be rigid.

That's not such an issue at stadium shows as the areas are so much bigger, you do get a lot more folk in who are just up for a good time, but the balance is more than a science I reckon!!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 11:47:37 AM »
Worst show I attended was first night at croke park of 360

For a hometown show the atmosphere was flat.

The 360 stage failed miserably in that ground, stuck at one end with an empty hill 16 behind it, which seemed to suck the life out of it, the floor wasn't particularly full either people were milling around quite freely (maybe that is down to how many they set under the safety rules as allowed down there) and the band were surprisingly flat for a hometown show.

The new songs didn't catch fire either.

It was the first u2 gig I had attended where I felt short changed.

Saw them at the millennium stadium at the end of that leg and they were better.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 12:54:55 PM »
I never saw U2 put on anything less than a spectacular show, but I've been in 2 of the all-time lamest crowds they've ever played in front of: Detroit on the Elevation tour and night 2 in Chicago on Popmart. It was embarrassing being in such weak audiences; I wanted to apologize to a member of the band or crew afterwards.

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »
Honestly, I was embarrassed by most of the crowds on the whole 360 tour minus the South American / Mexico shows. The Moscow crowd stood out as being pretty good as well.

Online briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 12:29:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Honestly, I was embarrassed by most of the crowds on the whole 360 tour minus the South American / Mexico shows. The Moscow crowd stood out as being pretty good as well.

I think iPhones/Smartphones have a lot to answer for to be honest. People are more worried about getting shaky footage than enjoying the show itself. Crowd involvement has definitely become less active in the past 10 years. But add to that U2's ageing crowd base, in general, most are just not as active or in quite as good physical shape as they once were, so jumping around like crazy people is off the agenda.

South Americans however clearly keep fit by having a LOT of sex so they're way more up for some energetic activity.

Views contained above are the result of zero scientific research.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 01:11:06 AM »
Phones have definitely killed atmosphere at gigs.

I really don't understand why people want to pay money to experience a show and then spend a large part of it watching it through a 5 inch screen

Offline zooshoes

• Stateless
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 06:03:37 AM »
Adelaide on the Vertigo tour.

The crowd was lazy right from the start and not into it at all.

The sound was pretty average.

The venue was tired at best.

Bono referred to the venue as 'Telstra Stadium'...which is in Sydney.  He was in AAMI Stadium in Adelaide.  So it gave the impression that he gave such little sh** about the concert that he didn't even know what city he was in and the crowd acted like they didn't give a sh** anyway because they didn't care right from the start.

Online briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2014, 06:32:43 AM »

Bono referred to the venue as 'Telstra Stadium'...which is in Sydney.  He was in AAMI Stadium in Adelaide.  So it gave the impression that he gave such little sh** about the concert that he didn't even know what city he was in and the crowd acted like they didn't give a sh** anyway because they didn't care right from the start.

Yep, classic Adelaide crowd behaviour. They haven't got excited about a gig in the city of churches since the Beatles in 1964.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2014, 06:47:55 AM »

I was at the gig.  I was in the front D section and down there people were fairly lively but I've hard horror stories about the lacklustre crowd in the stands.  For crying out loud, the local newspaper actually wrote an article titled "The Night We Forgot How To Rock".
The show itself, from a performance point of view, was very good.  U2 played very well.
Brisco is right.  Adelaide is famous for lacklustre crowds.

Online briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 07:11:29 AM »
Adelaide crowds are famous for not buying tickets until they feel like it, complaining when artists leave them off the schedule either from the start, or pulling shows later, and then when shows do come to town they're just a bunch of theatregoers.

Now I don't mind the place, obviously I'm from Melbourne so it's natural to take the mick, but after the brilliance of the 2 Perth shows for 360 I can't see U2 returning to Adelaide if it's again a choice between Perth and Adelaide (as it has been since 1993)

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2014, 07:35:58 AM »
I watched the Syracuse 1987 concert last night, and whilst it probably wouldn't be their very worst it still seems like it would have been a very average gig to be at... unresponsive and disinterested crowd, band not on fire, Bono's voice dying several times, and a major screw up at the beginning of Bad where Larry had no kick drum.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:51:02 AM by Chargedvt »

satellitedog01

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2014, 05:52:19 AM »
And they didn't notice it?

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2014, 01:15:01 PM »
It was BC Place... terrible sound is a given. The bladness was just the icing on the cake.
My first reaction to seeing Bono with a completely shaved head in Vancouver, BC was "He just applied for the job to be the new spokesman for Mr. Clean cleaning products."  Baldness aside, the real issue was Bono suffering from laryngitis on 6 DAYS rest between Mexico City #2 (12/3/97) & Vancouver (12/9/97).  What other lead singer in the world suffers from laryngitis after having 6 days off between concerts?  To add insult to injury, he somehow miraculously recovered the use of his vocal cords 3 days later in Seattle for the final North American Popmart concert.  I wonder how many fans at the Vancouver concert felt short changed afterwards?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:22:59 PM by LToy »

Offline shorne

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Two crap albums in a row and we're done...
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2014, 11:30:07 AM »
It was BC Place... terrible sound is a given. The bladness was just the icing on the cake.
My first reaction to seeing Bono with a completely shaved head in Vancouver, BC was "He just applied for the job to be the new spokesman for Mr. Clean cleaning products."  Baldness aside, the real issue was Bono suffering from laryngitis on 6 DAYS rest between Mexico City #2 (12/3/97) & Vancouver (12/9/97).  What other lead singer in the world suffers from laryngitis after having 6 days off between concerts?  To add insult to injury, he somehow miraculously recovered the use of his vocal cords 3 days later in Seattle for the final North American Popmart concert.  I wonder how many fans at the Vancouver concert felt short changed afterwards?

Yup I was there too... bald bono... bad sound... ugh... no Miami... no Do You Feel Loved... was just... blahhhhhhh... a good blahh... but blahh nonetheless

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
What is U2s Worst Show?
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2014, 09:42:01 PM »
From what I could tell on the bootleg, PopMart Pittsburgh sucked performance wise. Plus over half the stadium was empty.

I wish I could find a picture of Three Rivers Stadium during PopMart.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:59:18 PM by Starman »