Author Topic: g friday talks about new u2 album  (Read 21607 times)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
Re: g friday talks about new u2 album
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 10:51:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
$100 says there will be no U2 album of new material in 2013.

Any takers ?

I don't think U2 can afford NOT to put out something in 2013 (or before).

"afford" monetarily or "afford" artistically.

They haven't given a crap about artistic integrity since Pop.

And how do you know that? Which member of the band are you? How can you say they don't care? It's pretty bold to attack an artist's integrity with such a shallow statement. 

I think the albums released since Pop speak to the point made by JTbaby. I wouldn't necessarily say that they don't give a crap about artistic integrity, but it's certainly not foremost in their minds and it shows. Just listen to songs like SUC.

Well obviously they had songs that are just straight crap, but it's not like their whole albums since Pop are void of artistic integrity, that's going too far. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say their void of artistic integrity; I'm actually listening to NLOTH as I type this. There are definetly some good tunes since Pop. I just don't think artistic integrity is as paramount as it once was for U2.

I can agree with you on that. But for JTBaby to say they haven't given a crap at all since Pop is not true and unfair to U2.

That's just JT's style.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »

Any takers ?

And how do you know that? Which member of the band are you? How can you say they don't care? It's pretty bold to attack an artist's integrity with such a shallow statement. 

I think the albums released since Pop speak to the point made by JTbaby. I wouldn't necessarily say that they don't give a crap about artistic integrity, but it's certainly not foremost in their minds and it shows. Just listen to songs like SUC.

Well obviously they had songs that are just straight crap, but it's not like their whole albums since Pop are void of artistic integrity, that's going too far. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say their void of artistic integrity; I'm actually listening to NLOTH as I type this. There are definetly some good tunes since Pop. I just don't think artistic integrity is as paramount as it once was for U2.

I can agree with you on that. But for JTBaby to say they haven't given a crap at all since Pop is not true and unfair to U2.

Boo hoo. HTDAAB is completely void. ATYCLB was a retreat to please the masses. NLOTH had potential but they bottled.

zootv

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 10:54:45 AM »

Any takers ?

Exactly. Amazing this stuff needs explaining.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of the "Beautiful Day Generation" prefer U2 to make catchy more popular tunes rather than ballsy creative music. Not all of the "BD generation" feel this way, but I'd say the majority do.

Offline TheLarryMullenBand

• Numb
  • Let's go to places no one else has been
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »

Any takers ?

Needs explaining? I understood what you said, clearly. Don't be so crass. What zootv said adds to what you said, but he's more realistic. Yes U2 have lacked artistic integrity since Pop and they've had a handful of duds, but you're acting like their last 3 albums are total crap and worthless, which they're not.

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 11:04:45 AM »

Any takers ?

Boo hoo. HTDAAB is completely void. ATYCLB was a retreat to please the masses. NLOTH had potential but they bottled.

ATYCLB is terrible, you're right. It's my least favorite album by them.

HTDAAB is not void, but it's definitely an improvement on ATYCLB.

NLOTH is actually pretty good. But SUC, Boots, and I'll Go Crazy have few to no redeeming qualities. It did have potential to be great, but having 'Boots as your lead single killed most people's opinion of it. Nonetheless, I think it's their best album this decade. 

Offline yellowhat

• Numb
  • Between the horses..........literally.
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 11:43:53 AM »

Any takers ?

Needs explaining? I understood what you said, clearly. Don't be so crass. What zootv said adds to what you said, but he's more realistic. Yes U2 have lacked artistic integrity since Pop and they've had a handful of duds, but you're acting like their last 3 albums are total crap and worthless, which they're not.[
There. Why is this, when someone hates this or that album,it must definately  mean that everyone else also hates them too.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 11:45:39 AM by yellowhat »

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 12:03:10 PM »

Any takers ?

Needs explaining? I understood what you said, clearly. Don't be so crass. What zootv said adds to what you said, but he's more realistic. Yes U2 have lacked artistic integrity since Pop and they've had a handful of duds, but you're acting like their last 3 albums are total crap and worthless, which they're not.[
There. Why is this, when someone hates this or that album,it must definately  mean that everyone else also hates them too.

Who knows, some people just have strange logic when it comes to certain things.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »
he had listened to some of the songs dangermouse was working on and they sounded very different to anything he had heard u2 do before (that concerns me a little)

Doesn't concern me at all. U2 needs experimentation and reinvention. We don't need another song like Unknown Caller or Boots, which lifted riffs directly from older songs of theirs (Walk On and Vertigo).

Here's hoping the next album is more of a Zooropa and less of an Atomic Bomb.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »

Agreed. And before the utes accuse you of just wanting U2 to ape their '90s sound, what I take you to mean is that you want an album similarly groundbreaking to, and not just one that sounds like, Zooropa.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 01:26:06 PM »

Agreed. And before the utes accuse you of just wanting U2 to ape their '90s sound, what I take you to mean is that you want an album similarly groundbreaking to, and not just one that sounds like, Zooropa.

I'm personally looking for an album that has the Achtung Baby effect. Breaking new ground, but timeless songs to boot. Zooropa is mostly great, but it's a bit arty for a "comeback" type album. I'd say it's better to have an album like that when they're already riding the crest of a wave. Tbh I'm quite confident the next album is going to be a bit different to what we've heard before.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »

You are correct. I don't want a Zooropa 2, I just want something daring and interesting.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »
just had a listen to gavin friday on the radio in ireland early this morning when asked about u2s new album he did not seem to want to say too much but he did say he thought it would be out in 2013 and he had listened to some of the songs dangermouse was working on and they sounded very different to anything he had heard u2 do before (that concerns me a little) oh and he said the edge was on fire  8) ok that part was not true ;D

Quite the opposite. They have NEVER needed to produce something so different to anything they have done before as much as they do with the next album. If its like anything they have done before (especially the last three albums) they are finished.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »
just had a listen to gavin friday on the radio in ireland early this morning when asked about u2s new album he did not seem to want to say too much but he did say he thought it would be out in 2013 and he had listened to some of the songs dangermouse was working on and they sounded very different to anything he had heard u2 do before (that concerns me a little) oh and he said the edge was on fire  8) ok that part was not true ;D

Quite the opposite. They have NEVER needed to produce something so different to anything they have done before as much as they do with the next album. If its like anything they have done before (especially the last three albums) they are finished.
i agree with change as long as its different in a good way the trouble is we will not know until the album is out.. i thought  boots was different too but  that song sucked big time

Gone

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
Is the inner dare devil of U2 on the loose again?

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 03:03:43 PM »
Why is everyone so afraid of them trying something new? At least then we're not getting another ATYCLB or HTDAAB, which *obviously* everybody here despises. I think some people are writing off their new album before ever hearing it.