Author Topic: g friday talks about new u2 album  (Read 21619 times)

Offline Crazy

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: g friday talks about new u2 album
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 10:47:39 PM »
Just my mind thinking slightly left of field but is it possible that "danger mouse" and or will.i.am are working on a Pop reissue? Just throwing it out there with no evidence to back it up

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 12:42:07 AM »
Oh my gosh. I just realized something. Everyone who slags on the last three albums and worships Pop is just as bad as all the old people who only like everything up to Rattle and Hum.

Everyone always thinks their favorite band sells out when they change what they do a little, and everyone always acts like trying to retain the public eye is mutually exclusive from making good music.

Oh my gosh! The Red Hot Chili Peppers sold out in the 90s because Anthony Keidis decided he actually wanted to try singing a bit more.
Oh my gosh! Coldplay sold out because they used a few synths and tried a song with Rihanna!
Oh my gosh! The Goo Goo Dolls sold out after "Iris"! Man, they used to be so hardcore!
Oh my gosh! All Green Day cares about is money now. I can't listen to anything after Dookie.
Oh my gosh! Dave Matthews SOLD HIS SOUL and went electric. "The Space Between" is nothing but a HORRIBLE pop song!

Yeah, some artists DO sell out (just take a look at Maroon 5, and to some extent, Train). In fact, there's truth to most of those artists trying to cater to commercial motives, and in some cases their are some songs that clearly falter because of it. But to think that means ALL their music automatically sucks because of it childish.

"Beautiful Day" is a wonderful song. Goodness gracious, does a song have to be dark and brooding to be acceptable? If you listen to the verses, they're actually in quite a contrast to the chorus--it's far from a bubblegum song.

A great deal of skill and craft went into each of the last three U2 albums. U2 has never released anything on par with "Moves Like Jagger" or any crap like that. U2 didn't just throw their sense in the gutter. They have never given up their daring nature. Was "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" really a play-it-safe song? It's was actually pretty bold of them; it was unlike anything they had done before, and it's based off of chord progressions that are more popular in jazz than in pop music (until U2 paved the way for John Mayer to do the same thing with "Waiting on The World To Change"). Are you really being fair in failing to recognize that "All Because of You" is just as kick-ass punk as anything they ever did in the 80's, if not more? Is "Stand Up Comedy" really that "safe"? It's very unlike anything they did before (name another U2 song that really is as close to funk as that song), and it contains humor, which is also very rare territory for Bono lyrically.

So really what seems to be going on is that all the people who harp on and on about U2 needing to experiment again are actually just dissatisfied because the new sounds U2 has played with are not in the same vein as Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop, (which had thematic and musical similarities) which they prefer.

There are bands and artists that have really, REALLY sold out. But all this stuff about U2's last three albums being absolute crap? Please, please just grow up. Let yourself enjoy some music that's actually quite good.

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2012, 01:06:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh my gosh. I just realized something. Everyone who slags on the last three albums and worships Pop is just as bad as all the old people who only like everything up to Rattle and Hum.

Everyone always thinks their favorite band sells out when they change what they do a little, and everyone always acts like trying to retain the public eye is mutually exclusive from making good music.

Oh my gosh! The Red Hot Chili Peppers sold out in the 90s because Anthony Keidis decided he actually wanted to try singing a bit more.
Oh my gosh! Coldplay sold out because they used a few synths and tried a song with Rihanna!
Oh my gosh! The Goo Goo Dolls sold out after "Iris"! Man, they used to be so hardcore!
Oh my gosh! All Green Day cares about is money now. I can't listen to anything after Dookie.
Oh my gosh! Dave Matthews SOLD HIS SOUL and went electric. "The Space Between" is nothing but a HORRIBLE pop song!

Yeah, some artists DO sell out (just take a look at Maroon 5, and to some extent, Train). In fact, there's truth to most of those artists trying to cater to commercial motives, and in some cases their are some songs that clearly falter because of it. But to think that means ALL their music automatically sucks because of it childish.

"Beautiful Day" is a wonderful song. Goodness gracious, does a song have to be dark and brooding to be acceptable? If you listen to the verses, they're actually in quite a contrast to the chorus--it's far from a bubblegum song.

A great deal of skill and craft went into each of the last three U2 albums. U2 has never released anything on par with "Moves Like Jagger" or any crap like that. U2 didn't just throw their sense in the gutter. They have never given up their daring nature. Was "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" really a play-it-safe song? It's was actually pretty bold of them; it was unlike anything they had done before, and it's based off of chord progressions that are more popular in jazz than in pop music (until U2 paved the way for John Mayer to do the same thing with "Waiting on The World To Change"). Are you really being fair in failing to recognize that "All Because of You" is just as kick-ass punk as anything they ever did in the 80's, if not more? Is "Stand Up Comedy" really that "safe"? It's very unlike anything they did before (name another U2 song that really is as close to funk as that song), and it contains humor, which is also very rare territory for Bono lyrically.

So really what seems to be going on is that all the people who harp on and on about U2 needing to experiment again are actually just dissatisfied because the new sounds U2 has played with are not in the same vein as Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop, (which had thematic and musical similarities) which they prefer.

There are bands and artists that have really, REALLY sold out. But all this stuff about U2's last three albums being absolute crap? Please, please just grow up. Let yourself enjoy some music that's actually quite good.

Well said.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 01:20:55 AM »
I don't think it's U2 changing that people have a problem with, but it's their explicit admission that they are once again trying to be popular and accepted by the most people possible.

That, coupled with a simultaneous decrease in the quality of Bono's songwriting, have occasioned more disillusionment with U2 that there mere fact that they changed their style.

Offline Spilling Over the Brim

• Stateless
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 03:47:07 AM »
I don't know about y'all, but I am taking some comfort in the fact Gavin says at least "a bit of it" is "quite different". Maybe as a friend he's just trying to stir up interest in the band during this long period of no news, but I'd like to believe he's being genuine is what he said. I think a lot of us here would agree a little "trailblazing" is (almost)always good. What I find more unfortunate is him hinting we may still have a looooong wait ahead of us. Does anyone think they could be working on a double LP??

The Grave

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2012, 07:08:05 AM »

great post

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2012, 07:52:42 AM »

Agreed with all of this. As I have been saying for some time, IMO the vast majority of people who whine about the last few albums and the need to be more 'experimental' tend to mean they they should go back to what they sounded like in the 90s- which is of course the opposite of experimental and innovative now.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 08:37:11 AM »
I don't think it's U2 changing that people have a problem with, but it's their explicit admission that they are once again trying to be popular and accepted by the most people possible.

That, coupled with a simultaneous decrease in the quality of Bono's songwriting, have occasioned more disillusionment with U2 that there mere fact that they changed their style.

This

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2012, 09:01:06 AM »
I think I'll just be glad with another album. I'm not going to waste my time judging some artist's recent work because it didn't fit my plethora of demands. It's ridiculous. Do you think Bono is going to read your post and say "Ye know, he's got a point about us not being as creative as before, good thing he harped about it. Edge c'mere, you should listen to this guy, he's hit gold." It doesn't matter, nothing will change and another album will come out next year with songs you may or may not like.

I don't understand the hate for their last few albums. It's preposterous to think they don't care and/or that they've taken the easy way out with their songs. They're older, they don't have the same view of the world they did during the Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby days. They're not supposed to be playing and writing songs in the same vein as that era, it wouldn't sound right.

The bottom line is that they're not the same guys they were before. They're grown up, they've seen the world for over 50 years more or less, and personally--I like that that aspect of their timeline. That basically spells out they're better musicians--they've had more time to craft their skills, and hone ideas and most of all---get to really know each other. Bono can't scream like he used to, but he's got heavy artillery with worldliness. Look at all the curve balls and life experiences the band has had to deal with during the 00's (Bono's dad, Edge's daughter, etc)--they turned into some really beautiful material, didn't they? Kite, Original of the Species, SYCMIOYO, etc were great and struck a chord with a lot of people, including myself. The fact that they've traded that "irony/rock n roll" attitude with more of a real persona, is refreshing I think.

Lyrically, I think they're at their best because of said personal experiences. I can't wait for what they have in store for us, and the fact that they're still together, writing anthems that still get the hairs on my arms up, is a good reason alone to trust the U2 boys.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2012, 09:21:06 AM »
just had a listen to gavin friday on the radio in ireland early this morning when asked about u2s new album he did not seem to want to say too much but he did say he thought it would be out in 2013 and he had listened to some of the songs dangermouse was working on and they sounded very different to anything he had heard u2 do before (that concerns me a little) oh and he said the edge was on fire  8) ok that part was not true ;D

i guess i didn't read this as a bad thing. i really dont expect a full on pop album in the vein of BEP or something. but then again i do love NLOTH <minus SUC of course>

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2012, 09:49:13 AM »

Agreed with all of this. As I have been saying for some time, IMO the vast majority of people who whine about the last few albums and the need to be more 'experimental' tend to mean they they should go back to what they sounded like in the 90s- which is of course the opposite of experimental and innovative now.

See what I mean, Droo?

Offline CeeCeeHalpert

• Stateless
  • I see seven towers, but I only see one way out..
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 09:51:44 AM »
Am I the only long time U2 fan who likes "Boots"?  ??? ........*crickets*.....Ok. I'll leave.. :P

smee

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 10:03:09 AM »
Am I the only long time U2 fan who likes "Boots"?  ??? ........*crickets*.....Ok. I'll leave.. :P
Suffice to say...im a long term fan...and rate boots in the top 3 songs u2 have ever subjected us to.

Regarding another part of the debate, i like the last three albums. I dont think u2 have made a bad album, just some are better than others.

PartyMarty23

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2012, 10:09:08 AM »
Suffice to say...im a long term fan...and rate boots in the top 3 songs u2 have ever subjected us to.

Regarding another part of the debate, i like the last three albums. I dont think u2 have made a bad album, just some are better than others.

Exactly my thoughts. Their 2000 albums aren't as good as their '80s or '90s stuff, but they're still good. Plus, Boots may be awful on the album, but it's killer live.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2012, 10:43:57 AM »
I quite like Boots, but not as a lead single.