Author Topic: g friday talks about new u2 album  (Read 21487 times)

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
Re: g friday talks about new u2 album
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2012, 11:23:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't think it's U2 changing that people have a problem with, but it's their explicit admission that they are once again trying to be popular and accepted by the most people possible.

That, coupled with a simultaneous decrease in the quality of Bono's songwriting, have occasioned more disillusionment with U2 that there mere fact that they changed their style.

That is exactly the problem for some, whether they admit it or not ; U2 changed from the U2 they used to like.

U2 wanting to be popular and accepted is really not new, is it ? And the quality, if we want to be honest, has been dropping starting with Zooropa, and has actually picked up in the 00's, especially with the first half of ATYCLB and vast majority of NLOTH.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2012, 12:53:08 PM »
I don't think it's U2 changing that people have a problem with, but it's their explicit admission that they are once again trying to be popular and accepted by the most people possible.

That, coupled with a simultaneous decrease in the quality of Bono's songwriting, have occasioned more disillusionment with U2 that there mere fact that they changed their style.

U2 wanting to be popular and accepted is really not new, is it ?

Of course not, but there's a difference between writing challenging new music and embracing it so wholeheartedly that you play almost your whole album live, and rarely break character for three years, thereby almost dragging an unwilling audience along for the ride with you (on the one hand), and deliberately doing everything you can to be likeable and tame (on the other).

No one here thinks U2 didn't care about success in the '90s. It's just that they also cared about other things.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 12:54:56 PM by The Exile »

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2012, 01:07:02 PM »
I don't buy the notion that they only care about money these days. They are more commercial than ever, but there's no doubt to me that they still care about their music. Much of it has been more conventional but a band that writes Kite, Moment of Surrender, SYCMIOYO, Beautiful Day, Stuck, White as Snow, Magnificent etc are clearly passionate about their songs. Just cos they don't have a "f**k the mainstream" attitude any more doesn't mean their work is worthless. I'm thrilled to have their 80's 90's and 00's music and enjoy the differences between them.

Offline TheLarryMullenBand

• Numb
  • Let's go to places no one else has been
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2012, 01:24:04 PM »
Oh my gosh. I just realized something. Everyone who slags on the last three albums and worships Pop is just as bad as all the old people who only like everything up to Rattle and Hum.

Everyone always thinks their favorite band sells out when they change what they do a little, and everyone always acts like trying to retain the public eye is mutually exclusive from making good music.

Oh my gosh! The Red Hot Chili Peppers sold out in the 90s because Anthony Keidis decided he actually wanted to try singing a bit more.
Oh my gosh! Coldplay sold out because they used a few synths and tried a song with Rihanna!
Oh my gosh! The Goo Goo Dolls sold out after "Iris"! Man, they used to be so hardcore!
Oh my gosh! All Green Day cares about is money now. I can't listen to anything after Dookie.
Oh my gosh! Dave Matthews SOLD HIS SOUL and went electric. "The Space Between" is nothing but a HORRIBLE pop song!

Yeah, some artists DO sell out (just take a look at Maroon 5, and to some extent, Train). In fact, there's truth to most of those artists trying to cater to commercial motives, and in some cases their are some songs that clearly falter because of it. But to think that means ALL their music automatically sucks because of it childish.

"Beautiful Day" is a wonderful song. Goodness gracious, does a song have to be dark and brooding to be acceptable? If you listen to the verses, they're actually in quite a contrast to the chorus--it's far from a bubblegum song.

A great deal of skill and craft went into each of the last three U2 albums. U2 has never released anything on par with "Moves Like Jagger" or any crap like that. U2 didn't just throw their sense in the gutter. They have never given up their daring nature. Was "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" really a play-it-safe song? It's was actually pretty bold of them; it was unlike anything they had done before, and it's based off of chord progressions that are more popular in jazz than in pop music (until U2 paved the way for John Mayer to do the same thing with "Waiting on The World To Change"). Are you really being fair in failing to recognize that "All Because of You" is just as kick-ass punk as anything they ever did in the 80's, if not more? Is "Stand Up Comedy" really that "safe"? It's very unlike anything they did before (name another U2 song that really is as close to funk as that song), and it contains humor, which is also very rare territory for Bono lyrically.

So really what seems to be going on is that all the people who harp on and on about U2 needing to experiment again are actually just dissatisfied because the new sounds U2 has played with are not in the same vein as Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop, (which had thematic and musical similarities) which they prefer.

There are bands and artists that have really, REALLY sold out. But all this stuff about U2's last three albums being absolute crap? Please, please just grow up. Let yourself enjoy some music that's actually quite good.

Awesome post, very well said.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2012, 01:40:51 PM »
well i think this could mean a couple of things....

with Danger Mouse, it's going to be more poppy

And hearing from their recent songs like Soon, North Star, Mercy, etc. I think it's not going to be dark at all and more heartfelt record

Gone

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2012, 02:09:59 PM »
Interesting discussion.

U2's last three albums are okay. Not bad, but not great, either. The problem is, I don't find much replay value in them like I do with 1980-1997's records, with some exception for NLOTH. I used to feel that for Pop, but Pop sounds great now for some odd and unknown reason. The last three albums seem very linear to me.

It cannot be denied that U2 are a lot shyer than they once were. And I am going to say it again: yes, I think it is because of Pop's reception. U2 were so focused on evolving as a group during the 90's, but then after Pop, U2 went back to their rock roots. Which is okay, I do like 'Stuck'. It's my favorite song from ATYCLB.

The problem with me is, I think U2 are shy. I do. U2 were rolling with their conventional sound throughout the 80's, but when the 90's came around, they needed to change or else they wouldn't last long. They went bold and got fortune. But it just doesn't seem like that through 2000-2009.

I've said it before and I will say it again: Fortune favors the bold.

U2 need to remain that. It is the only thing that I think will bring U2 back to the position Bono is looking for. Look at Gone ("Oh boy, here we go"), it was a monster on Pop and it was washed to be friendlier on the Best Of. I don't like that with any of their music. I want them to stick to their guns and go and stay bold. That's just me.

I still think the age and maturity thing is ridiculous. The guys are in a rock band. They aren't doctors or lawyers. They shouldn't have to 'grow up' or be 'professional'. They found a job for each other that allows them to be kids and have fun, even today. That is something I think many of us wish we had. Hell, I do.

It's a new decade, and that is like a new year for a band like U2. I don't really believe in many sayings, but I do hold to my guns when I say "Fortune Favors the Bold".

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2012, 07:30:46 PM »
Oh my gosh. I just realized something. Everyone who slags on the last three albums and worships Pop is just as bad as all the old people who only like everything up to Rattle and Hum.

Everyone always thinks their favorite band sells out when they change what they do a little, and everyone always acts like trying to retain the public eye is mutually exclusive from making good music.

Oh my gosh! The Red Hot Chili Peppers sold out in the 90s because Anthony Keidis decided he actually wanted to try singing a bit more.
Oh my gosh! Coldplay sold out because they used a few synths and tried a song with Rihanna!
Oh my gosh! The Goo Goo Dolls sold out after "Iris"! Man, they used to be so hardcore!
Oh my gosh! All Green Day cares about is money now. I can't listen to anything after Dookie.
Oh my gosh! Dave Matthews SOLD HIS SOUL and went electric. "The Space Between" is nothing but a HORRIBLE pop song!

Yeah, some artists DO sell out (just take a look at Maroon 5, and to some extent, Train). In fact, there's truth to most of those artists trying to cater to commercial motives, and in some cases their are some songs that clearly falter because of it. But to think that means ALL their music automatically sucks because of it childish.

"Beautiful Day" is a wonderful song. Goodness gracious, does a song have to be dark and brooding to be acceptable? If you listen to the verses, they're actually in quite a contrast to the chorus--it's far from a bubblegum song.

A great deal of skill and craft went into each of the last three U2 albums. U2 has never released anything on par with "Moves Like Jagger" or any crap like that. U2 didn't just throw their sense in the gutter. They have never given up their daring nature. Was "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" really a play-it-safe song? It's was actually pretty bold of them; it was unlike anything they had done before, and it's based off of chord progressions that are more popular in jazz than in pop music (until U2 paved the way for John Mayer to do the same thing with "Waiting on The World To Change"). Are you really being fair in failing to recognize that "All Because of You" is just as kick-ass punk as anything they ever did in the 80's, if not more? Is "Stand Up Comedy" really that "safe"? It's very unlike anything they did before (name another U2 song that really is as close to funk as that song), and it contains humor, which is also very rare territory for Bono lyrically.

So really what seems to be going on is that all the people who harp on and on about U2 needing to experiment again are actually just dissatisfied because the new sounds U2 has played with are not in the same vein as Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop, (which had thematic and musical similarities) which they prefer.

There are bands and artists that have really, REALLY sold out. But all this stuff about U2's last three albums being absolute crap? Please, please just grow up. Let yourself enjoy some music that's actually quite good.

Awesome post, very well said.

I second this.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
Here's hoping the next album is more of a Zooropa and less of an Atomic Bomb.

Agreed. And before the utes accuse you of just wanting U2 to ape their '90s sound, what I take you to mean is that you want an album similarly groundbreaking to, and not just one that sounds like, Zooropa.

Yeah, everyone says at.... Until of course U2 do something groundbreaking and new which they don't like. Then of course, it doesn't count.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2012, 07:38:43 PM »
I think I'll just be glad with another album. I'm not going to waste my time judging some artist's recent work because it didn't fit my plethora of demands. It's ridiculous. Do you think Bono is going to read your post and say "Ye know, he's got a point about us not being as creative as before, good thing he harped about it. Edge c'mere, you should listen to this guy, he's hit gold." It doesn't matter, nothing will change and another album will come out next year with songs you may or may not like.

I don't understand the hate for their last few albums. It's preposterous to think they don't care and/or that they've taken the easy way out with their songs. They're older, they don't have the same view of the world they did during the Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby days. They're not supposed to be playing and writing songs in the same vein as that era, it wouldn't sound right.

The bottom line is that they're not the same guys they were before. They're grown up, they've seen the world for over 50 years more or less, and personally--I like that that aspect of their timeline. That basically spells out they're better musicians--they've had more time to craft their skills, and hone ideas and most of all---get to really know each other. Bono can't scream like he used to, but he's got heavy artillery with worldliness. Look at all the curve balls and life experiences the band has had to deal with during the 00's (Bono's dad, Edge's daughter, etc)--they turned into some really beautiful material, didn't they? Kite, Original of the Species, SYCMIOYO, etc were great and struck a chord with a lot of people, including myself. The fact that they've traded that "irony/rock n roll" attitude with more of a real persona, is refreshing I think.

Lyrically, I think they're at their best because of said personal experiences. I can't wait for what they have in store for us, and the fact that they're still together, writing anthems that still get the hairs on my arms up, is a good reason alone to trust the U2 boys.
I love everything you've just said, and pretty much agree.

As for the real news... I don't know what to think. I don't know if I can trust anyone outside the band...

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2012, 07:50:09 PM »
Why is this "news"?  What was said that we haven't already heard?

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2012, 08:37:27 PM »
I quite like Boots, but not as a lead single.

I think Boots & NLOTH in general would have been much better received had there been a different lead single, maybe Magnificient or MOS. IMO Boots really wasn't descriptive of then then-upcoming album, which really hurt them both. 

Offline TheLarryMullenBand

• Numb
  • Let's go to places no one else has been
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2012, 07:37:25 AM »
I quite like Boots, but not as a lead single.

I think Boots & NLOTH in general would have been much better received had there been a different lead single, maybe Magnificient or MOS. IMO Boots really wasn't descriptive of then then-upcoming album, which really hurt them both.

Yup.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2012, 08:18:26 AM »
Am I the only long time U2 fan who likes "Boots"?  ??? ........*crickets*.....Ok. I'll leave.. :P

No you're not!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »
I personally think Danger Mouse would be an exciting add to the creative team... I'd like to see him producing the whole thing instead of their usual stand-bys. Has anyone ever listened to the Broken Bells, which was a project of Danger Mouse's? I like it... I would like to see U2 be more daring and wow my ears with something I've never heard before.

Gavin Friday went a bit daring with Catholic. It's an outstanding album, one of my favorites of last year. So I'd say he probably has a good sense of music... I think he'd tell it straight.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2012, 09:31:40 AM »

I agree, yet I don't like HTDAAB all that much.

I agree again.

A great deal of skill and craft went into each of the last three U2 albums. U2 has never released anything on par with "Moves Like Jagger" or any crap like that.

No, they did not release something like that but they did tone down "Magnificient" way too much so that it would appeal to radio and not be a contrast to the boring music on there.
Same thing probably goes for "Original Of the Species" and "City Of Blinding Lights". Slick keyboards are everywhere you look on those songs when really, there should have been tuneful electric guitars. But I guess U2 albums cannot be not commercial so something's got to give.

U2 didn't just throw their sense in the gutter. They have never given up their daring nature. Was "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" really a play-it-safe song? It's was actually pretty bold of them; it was unlike anything they had done before, and it's based off of chord progressions that are more popular in jazz than in pop music (until U2 paved the way for John Mayer to do the same thing with "Waiting on The World To Change"). Are you really being fair in failing to recognize that "All Because of You" is just as kick-ass punk as anything they ever did in the 80's, if not more? Is "Stand Up Comedy" really that "safe"? It's very unlike anything they did before (name another U2 song that really is as close to funk as that song), and it contains humor, which is also very rare territory for Bono lyrically.

I also agree on both songs. They are very fine songs. Neither would be boring. And "Discotheque" is where they first tried out the funk bit, just to a lesser extent.

No, my dissatisfaction is just from the fact that U2 have given in way too much to radio when it comes to the guitar tracks they don't use and the keyboard tracks they replace them with. Compare the Fez video containing the guitar parts from "Magnificient" to those on the album. They intentionally went for the weaker version and that shows. It's not the experimentation or lack thereof which is my point of criticism. Just imagine a song like "Babyface" played with toned-down guitar stylings like the album version of "Magnificient". That would not be that far removed from Jon Secada's "Just Another Day Without You", wouldn't it?. Back in 93, Edge was "on fire". He still is, but in the mixing stage, they tend to treat him with the extinguisher when it comes to his rhythm guitar parts.

I'm hoping for lots of good things on the new album. Maybe 12 songs? "Achtung Baby" had 12. That's a nice number. I just hope they don't skip any good songs just because they don't like making the album longer like it was the case when "Mercy" got dropped from HTDAAB.

Gavin Friday's quote is actually a very nice confirmation that DangerMouse is indeed the main producer on the album.
If they decide to release some outtakes, here's hoping they will be included in the deluxe-CD package. Putting them out only as mp3s does not satisfy me because I want to listen to all the new U2 songs in their lossless glory, in full CD quality.