Author Topic: Would U2 be as successful today if they stuck with being called "The Hype"?  (Read 881 times)

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
What do you think? Does the name have anything to do with it?

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
Interesting question. U2 is a simple and ambiguous name that could mean a variety of things. I'm not sure band names can hold a band back from success (otherwise Goo Goo Dolls and Barenaked Ladies would never have gotten anywhere) but it certainly helps to have something accessible and creative. I feel U2 has both.

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Interesting question. U2 is a simple and ambiguous name that could mean a variety of things. I'm not sure band names can hold a band back from success (otherwise Goo Goo Dolls and Barenaked Ladies would never have gotten anywhere) but it certainly helps to have something accessible and creative. I feel U2 has both.

Are you suggesting they did go anywhere?  :D

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud

Are you suggesting they did go anywhere?  :D
Well the Goo Goo Dolls used to be called "The Sex Maggots," and judging from their hits in the late 90s/early 2000's, I'd say the name change was a good idea.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
Hmmmm....I think inevitably their success would have happened regardless, but there is something to a name that initially attracts attention and gives a band a head start. The hype sounds like a forgetable band but it could easily be a name that in an alternate universe would hold more weight. I still think U2 is much better though.

marvgadgie

Imagine if they stuck with The Hype and released the U2-3 ("The Hype-3"???) EP and then were dropped, or maybe did split after "October" as they considered ... would they be regarded as classic, "long lost" new wave records with a cult following?

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Interesting question indeed. TheI name 'The Hype' is actually one of those names where you are setting yourself up immedialty to be pulled down? At least U2 gave them no sense of being good or suggesting they were good - gave them time to get established before they were knocked down later

hrsan

It's the music that does the talking.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
Interesting question indeed. TheI name 'The Hype' is actually one of those names where you are setting yourself up immedialty to be pulled down? At least U2 gave them no sense of being good or suggesting they were good - gave them time to get established before they were knocked down later

Agreed. You can just hear those 'witty' critics and music writers making album review headlines like "HTDAAB nothing to get Hype-d about" and crap like that. This would have affected album sales and the band's reputation in general, from the headline-browsing public.