Author Topic: Is Bono the most hated musican at the moment ?  (Read 7539 times)

Offline jules

• Stateless
Is Bono the most hated musican at the moment ?
« on: October 10, 2012, 07:09:36 AM »
I was looking for a t-shirt for my girlfriend the other day and came across this...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I find it very sad but at the moment there seems to be more anti-bono t-shirts for sale than pro-bono ones.

Of course to many people Bono is completely misunderstood. They judge him by their own standards, and by their own standards they would never do anything good or in a good-natured way without getting some sort of gain from it. So therefore they cannot understand that Bono would do good things purely to make other peoples lives better.

Another reason I think is that some people 'need someone to hate/ridicule' to make themselves feel better. It used to be Bob Gleldof, then Sting got a hammering for doing good things. Now Bono.

This may be another factor as to why the band are current keeping a low profile. No point in releasing new material while your singer has, to many, a unliked public profile.

I did consider not posting this topic because I don't want to give these 'haters' any airtime (I tend to praise good behavior things and ignore the bad).

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
Re: Is Bono the most hated musican at the moment ?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 07:59:08 AM »
This has been evident for a long time now. I even have friends who tease me about this.

I don't know if it is any reason for why the band are keeping a low profile, since this public view of him has been evident for many years now

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:18:18 AM »
With a title such as that, I guess Bono can at least take comfort in the fact that he is still relevant.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 11:24:58 AM »
If he's reading this forum he's probably getting a kick out of someone referring to him as a "musician"

jacob

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 01:15:56 PM »
No!
Bono is only hated by short sighted people with a bad taste of t shirts

smee

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 04:38:51 PM »
The poor man is SLATED for trying to help the needy. If thats a reason to hate....so be it.

Id wager this tho, i 10 mins alone with the man...and he would win over any haters. People dont see the funny playful side of bono much, just the bono with his serious campaign head on. But personally...id leave all the haters to hate...coz they are all pretty much a bunch of miserable low lifes, looking to drag everyone into their mire

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »
Bono's been hated by many since the mid 80's. It started at Live Aid when he danced with the girl in the crowd (some saw this as an over-dramatic stunt), then he got bashed by critics for some of his ramblings on Rattle & Hum (Bishop Tutuu and economic sanctions...., the God I believe in isn't short of cash...), and it's kept growing since then. I think the guy should be given a medal for all the good work he's done, but I do wish he'd keep it a bit more low key at times.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 08:08:22 PM »
Two words: Justin Bieber.

Offline johno11

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 11:23:22 PM »
I think the dislike for Bono has escalated in the UK and Ireland especially since U2 moved their business interests to Holland (and stopped paying taxes in Ireland). Don't get me wrong I love Bono but a lot of people think he is a hypocrite these days.
Especially when he is trying to get the Irish Goverment to increase aid to Africa while paying little or no tax himself.

satellitedog01

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 01:53:57 AM »
Yeah, some of the criticism was and is totally fair, while some of the simple brainless bashing is not.
Any big company will have some amount of dirt under their fingernails, U2 are no exception. People equate the corporation with Bono naturally, so he gets the stick.

I enjoy Bono bashing when it's funny and/or stylish. South Park's take on the topic was hilarious, so is the "Every time Bono clicks his fingers..." tee :-)

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 04:50:07 AM »
Bono's been hated by many since the mid 80's. It started at Live Aid when he danced with the girl in the crowd (some saw this as an over-dramatic stunt), then he got bashed by critics for some of his ramblings on Rattle & Hum (Bishop Tutuu and economic sanctions...., the God I believe in isn't short of cash...), and it's kept growing since then. I think the guy should be given a medal for all the good work he's done, but I do wish he'd keep it a bit more low key at times.

I think the stuff in the 80's and 90's (inc live aid etc.) was bashed by the critics, yes, but not the public. Critic don't buy these t-shirts I mentioned...

BTW found a few Justin Bieber hating t-shirts on the internet.

smee

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 04:59:20 AM »
I think the dislike for Bono has escalated in the UK and Ireland especially since U2 moved their business interests to Holland (and stopped paying taxes in Ireland). Don't get me wrong I love Bono but a lot of people think he is a hypocrite these days.
Especially when he is trying to get the Irish Goverment to increase aid to Africa while paying little or no tax himself.

u2 still pay taxes in Ireland tho......along with in another 50 odd countries (i think it is), so, that whole tax thing is just B.S.. Apart from anything else, u2s income form Ireland equates to about 2% of the bands income, so why should they base themself as a business there?
Show me a person who wouldnt rather pay less taxes and i will show you a bullsh***er!

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 05:13:12 AM »

u2 still pay taxes in Ireland tho......along with in another 50 odd countries (i think it is), so, that whole tax thing is just B.S.. Apart from anything else, u2s income form Ireland equates to about 2% of the bands income, so why should they base themself as a business there?
Show me a person who wouldnt rather pay less taxes and i will show you a bullsh***er!

Agreed. From what I gather Bono personally pays full tax in Ireland. However *one* of the 'u2' companies based themselves in the Netherlands.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 06:43:54 AM »

Agreed. From what I gather Bono personally pays full tax in Ireland. However *one* of the 'u2' companies based themselves in the Netherlands.

Here we go again.......

Those of us who have a problem with this don't CARE where he pays taxes.

We mostly have an issue with his hypocrisy, on the one hand he is (legally, justly) minimizing his tax liability in his own country. Fair enough. On the other hand he comes to my country and lobbies my government for where my tax dollars should go. That's hypocrisy through and through.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 10:32:45 AM »
Elton John, Simon Cowell, Sting, Michael Caine, all pay (currently) 50% tax in the UK on their income over £150,000, despite most of their earnings coming from outside the UK.  Plus, Elton John, for example, puts his hand in his own pocket and donates £Millions to charity every year.  In one year alone he donated £20 Million to his Aids Foundation.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:09:02 PM by Tumbling Dice »