Author Topic: Is Bono the most hated musican at the moment ?  (Read 7540 times)

smee

Re: Is Bono the most hated musican at the moment ?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 10:34:03 AM »
Its not Hypocrisy tho...as chances are, he pays SHEDLOADS of taxes in YOUR country too....way more than you and your average fellow countrymen. So hes contributed a lot into your countries system, so why shouldnt he lobby them to help the less fortunate. You lot moan for the sake of it. Isnt the fact he puts so much time and effort into trying to help less fortunate people the main point?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:38:04 AM by Smee »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 10:42:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Its not Hypocrisy tho...as chances are, he pays SHEDLOADS of taxes in YOUR country too....way more than you and your average fellow countrymen. So hes contributed a lot into your countries system, so why shouldnt he lobby them to help the less fortunate. You lot moan for the sake of it. Isnt the fact he puts so much time and effort into trying to help less fortunate people the main point?

So you think there should be a cap on the amount of tax that any wealthy high earner pays?

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
I think what irritates me the most about people who aren't in to U2, its purely because of Bono and his huge ego. The majority of U2 haters simply hate U2 for that reason and can't see past it, their loss.

smee

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
You will NEVER convince me that Bono, Me...nor the Queen of Sheeba has no rights to go to the wealthy of this planet on behalf of the poor. The only hypocrisy i see is from those from the civilised world moan about someone who acts with compassion, on behalf of those in less fortunate situations....unless your all cold hearted f******, in which case.....i will leave you to it

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »
You will NEVER convince me that Bono, Me...nor the Queen of Sheeba has no rights to go to the wealthy of this planet on behalf of the poor. The only hypocrisy i see is from those from the civilised world moan about someone who acts with compassion, on behalf of those in less fortunate situations....unless your all cold hearted f******, in which case.....i will leave you to it

If every citizen paid less tax to the governments that Bono lobbies to be generous in their aid programs, then there wouldn't be enough money to donate aid.  Or are you saying that only the chosen few rich guys like Bono should pay a lower tax rate than their fellow citizens?

smee

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 11:03:09 AM »
Personally...i couldnt give two hoots if he paid taxes or not. I think the important thing is that there are people like bono, who give a voice to those who wouldnt other wise be heard. BUT ....there will ALWAYS be those who thrive on offering negatives instead of positives, in any given situation

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »

When he becomes a citizen he gets the right to have a say in how our taxes are apportioned.

He doesn't pay federal taxes here as far as I know and I'm pretty sure he gains more from our spending on his product than he had to pay out !

Yes it IS hypocrisy to avoid paying taxes in your own country but to lobby how other countries should use their taxes.

It's not even a close debate.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »
I was looking for a t-shirt for my girlfriend the other day and came across this...

I find it very sad but at the moment there seems to be more anti-bono t-shirts for sale than pro-bono ones.

Of course to many people Bono is completely misunderstood. They judge him by their own standards, and by their own standards they would never do anything good or in a good-natured way without getting some sort of gain from it. So therefore they cannot understand that Bono would do good things purely to make other peoples lives better.

Another reason I think is that some people 'need someone to hate/ridicule' to make themselves feel better. It used to be Bob Gleldof, then Sting got a hammering for doing good things. Now Bono.

This may be another factor as to why the band are current keeping a low profile. No point in releasing new material while your singer has, to many, a unliked public profile.

I did consider not posting this topic because I don't want to give these 'haters' any airtime (I tend to praise good behavior things and ignore the bad).

Justin Bieber and Lady GaGa are hated waaaay more than Bono's ever been...and N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys probably have all of them beat.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »

When he becomes a citizen he gets the right to have a say in how our taxes are apportioned.

He doesn't pay federal taxes here as far as I know and I'm pretty sure he gains more from our spending on his product than he had to pay out !

U2 and/or their promoter will pay local sales taxes on ticket sales, but that's all.  Bono, or any other member of U2, do not pay US income taxes.

Yes it IS hypocrisy to avoid paying taxes in your own country but to lobby how other countries should use their taxes.

Yes, it is a hypocritical position that Bono finds himself in as a director of a company that cynically avoids paying a considerable amount of tax to Ireland.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 08:24:20 PM »

That's exactly it. Bono is a rock star. Period. And in my opinion, being a rock star does not give one the right to preach to leaders who have been democratically elected on how they should spend their tax payers' money. I was actually really offended when Bono lectured my country's PM on the "lack" of aid we give to Africa. It is not his place to decide where our money should go, and unless he is a citizen of my country, he has no right to even comment on it!

I realize that he is a compassionate person who truly cares about the people of Africa. I'm not disparaging him for preaching charity. But on the other hand, he is not the only charitable perdon out there and I've never been sure why he gets more attention than anyone else who dedicates their life to helping others.........

Offline Quenchable Thirst

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's a private show, no one else's gonna know
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 04:18:38 AM »
Many people see him as a pretentious p**** and most of them hate him for the whole "tax dodger" thing. I don't think he, himself, ever talked about that issue though. I do recall McGuiness saying "U2 has always paid and pays taxes" or something along the lines, but not him. That, combined with the work he's done in Africa and how he's gotten politically involved, meeting all kinds of politicians, ruined his public image to even some fans.

As I always say when someone says "U2 is the worst band ever because of Bono" - Bono is not U2, U2 is not Bono. Period. You may love or hate the guy, but he doesn't speak for the band, and his life outside music has nothing to do with a great singer he is. He's definitely one of my favorite singers, he still has a great voice and he sounded just AMAZING during the 90s era, especially in AB and Pop, and he's written great songs too. I bet most of the people that claim U2 is the worst band ever have even dared to listen to U2's greatest albums or just say so because they don't like Bono.

Anyway, Bono, I'd really like it if you'd stop your politics tour around the world and got your a** back to the studio. Pretty please? :)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 08:22:48 AM »

That's exactly it. Bono is a rock star. Period. And in my opinion, being a rock star does not give one the right to preach to leaders who have been democratically elected on how they should spend their tax payers' money. I was actually really offended when Bono lectured my country's PM on the "lack" of aid we give to Africa. It is not his place to decide where our money should go, and unless he is a citizen of my country, he has no right to even comment on it!

I realize that he is a compassionate person who truly cares about the people of Africa. I'm not disparaging him for preaching charity. But on the other hand, he is not the only charitable perdon out there and I've never been sure why he gets more attention than anyone else who dedicates their life to helping others.........

he has every right to comment on it. doesn't mean you have to listen.

:)

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »

he has every right to comment on it. doesn't mean you have to listen.

:)

We have every right to react and comment on his activities as he obviously seeks publicity the way a squirrel seeks nuts.

Doesn't mean you have to agree.

;)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 11:11:14 AM »
where did I say you didn't?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 11:19:30 AM »
I was actually really offended when Bono lectured my country's PM on the "lack" of aid we give to Africa.

Did he really do that?  The gall of this guy.