Author Topic: The "Ask a Silly Question About the Band" Thread  (Read 13670 times)

daveyg

The "Ask a Silly Question About the Band" Thread
« on: October 29, 2008, 02:31:56 AM »
Right - here's a thread for those who feel, up to now, embarassed about asking something they feel they should know about U2. Or try to clarify rumours other than "When's the new album out?".

As some of you might know, I give walking tours of U2's Dublin, and I have bene asked some weird and wonderful questions along the way. How many brothers/sisters do the band have? How many kids do they have? Why is Adam single (well it was posed in a different way)? Is "Vertigo" an actual place name in Dublin?

So, without futher adue, off you go..... we're all here to help!

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
Re: The "Ask a Silly Question About the Band" Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 07:13:25 PM »
I don't have any good questions for you but was wondering if you'd share some of the unusual ones you've been asked  ::)

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:42:13 AM »
Do Bono and the guys ever check in on this forum?  Wonder what they think of some of the things people say here.  Hi, guys!  *waves* 

daveyg

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 04:33:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't have any good questions for you but was wondering if you'd share some of the unusual ones you've been asked  ::)

well, Ill keep to some of them that I won't get sued over.

• Were Larry and Boy George ever an item
  • (Standing at Windmill Lane Studios) So do U2 actually know where these studios are?
  • Do U2 only call themselves Irish to get Tax Relief or look cool?
  • I heard Bono doesn't like milk. (wasnt strictly a question but ill leave it in)
  • (after pointing out a restaurant that Bono's brother, Norman, owns) So, Bono's an only child?
  • How much does Adam pay for his strings?
  • Does Edge trim his beard alot?

Misc non U2 related questions Ive been asked on my tour
  • Is the Irish language basically English spoken with an Irish accent?
  • Can you walk to Belfast from here? (you could but you'd be pretty tired!)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:38:08 PM by daveyg »

InThisHeartland

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 05:15:23 PM »
wow those are some good ones

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 05:44:15 PM »
How about 'Does Bono get those 2 inch wedge shoes specially made?

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:13:14 AM »
I'd like to know how much they hang out together, families included, for holidays birthdays etc.

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 08:17:28 AM »

well, Ill keep to some of them that I won't get sued over.

• Were Larry and Boy George ever an item
  • (Standing at Windmill Lane Studios) So do U2 actually know where these studios are?
  • Do U2 only call themselves Irish to get Tax Relief or look cool?
  • I heard Bono doesn't like milk. (wasnt strictly a question but ill leave it in)
  • (after pointing out a restaurant that Bono's brother, Norman, owns) So, Bono's an only child?
  • How much does Adam pay for his strings?
  • Does Edge trim his beard alot?

Misc non U2 related questions Ive been asked on my tour
  • Is the Irish language basically English spoken with an Irish accent?
  • Can you walk to Belfast from here? (you could but you'd be pretty tired!)

LOL Brilliant!

Offline u2larkin04

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 08:17:14 AM »
I'd like to know how much they hang out together, families included, for holidays birthdays etc.

I can see Ali knitting all of the big ugly cardigan sweaters with big obnoxious christmas tree's and reindeer on them! Sitting around the Christmas Tree, Singing Christmas Songs with Bono attempting to make them his own... saying "Now we're gonna steal is back!" before singing Auld Lang Syne... I don't know, that's just my vision of it all going down. I know it's not as funny, but it's early for me!

I'd like to ask the edge to see his walk in closet of skull-caps... thousands upon thousands of skull-caps!

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 02:04:10 PM »
I have often wondered if Bono wears a different pair of shades everyday and just throws the old ones away, or if he has like a sunglasses room in his house where thousands of sunglasses are on shelves everywhere or something.

daveyg

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 05:51:35 AM »

Now I could stand corrected, but I gather from bumping into their staff and a few of their associates that they spend two years on the road after the release of an new album, and the other two years in every four writing, rehearsing and recording new material (up to 60 songs which was the last number thrown about for the newest album!!), and that any "free" family time is theirs. They almost treat it like a business...... rehearsal finished? Almost a "see ya next Tuesday lads".

I have often wondered if Bono wears a different pair of shades everyday and just throws the old ones away, or if he has like a sunglasses room in his house where thousands of sunglasses are on shelves everywhere or something.

With the cost of each set of shades, there'd be public outcry at the thoughts of him owning one pair of those. Drop the debt etc etc. Naw, seriously, I'd say he doesnt quite throw them out but I'd say he has a few pairs neatly and carefull stored in his bedroom locker at home.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 05:54:07 AM by daveyg »

Offline marta7luisa

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 06:55:46 AM »
Right - here's a thread for those who feel, up to now, embarassed about asking something they feel they should know about U2. Or try to clarify rumours other than "When's the new album out?".

As some of you might know, I give walking tours of U2's Dublin, and I have bene asked some weird and wonderful questions along the way. How many brothers/sisters do the band have? How many kids do they have? Why is Adam single (well it was posed in a different way)? Is "Vertigo" an actual place name in Dublin?

how many times did u see the band in Ireland? Did u ever talk to the members of the band?

daveyg

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 09:23:16 AM »

how many times did u see the band in Ireland? Did u ever talk to the members of the band?

Is that a question directed at me or out there generally?

how many times did u see the band in Ireland?-  Since 1987,  nine times.

Did u ever talk to the members of the band? Yes, occasionally, and on several occasions over the years.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 03:08:18 PM »
How about 'Does Bono get those 2 inch wedge shoes specially made?

Oh, but that's a good question! A friend told me about an article she read, about a guy who made Bono and Larry's shoes for Vertigo tour. I mean look at them shoes! They must add at least a couple of inches to their hight!

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 03:10:07 PM »

Were Larry and Boy George ever an item[/li][/list]

??? Whoever asked that question, God have mercy on his soul.