Author Topic: The "Ask a Silly Question About the Band" Thread  (Read 13671 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: The "Ask a Silly Question About the Band" Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 07:22:31 PM »
daveyg, those comments and questions you posted were priceless.  I just love the one who asked if Bono was an only child after you passed Norman's restaurant!!  The Irish language one was good too. You must really hear it all.  I would just love to hear some of the really good ones but I wouldn't want you to get sued either.  Just a quick question-is Bono (and Guggi's) houses on your tour?  What about the Project Arts Centre?  What's up with Lillies Bordello-is it still open?  The "funky trinity" (Bono, Gavin & Guggi) don't go there anymore, do they?  What really is the cool club in Dublin these days-please don't say it is that place Krystle! It seems like all the posers go there.  Is POD any good? Do you know or have you met Guggi or Gavin? I love Guggi's paintings. Oh, I'm sorry-that is way more then one quick question.  Sorry.

daveyg

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 04:35:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just a quick question-is Bono (and Guggi's) houses on your tour?  What about the Project Arts Centre?  What's up with Lillies Bordello-is it still open?  The "funky trinity" (Bono, Gavin & Guggi) don't go there anymore, do they?  What really is the cool club in Dublin these days-please don't say it is that place Krystle! It seems like all the posers go there.  Is POD any good? Do you know or have you met Guggi or Gavin? I love Guggi's paintings. Oh, I'm sorry-that is way more then one quick question.  Sorry.

is Bono (and Guggi's) houses on your tour? They're a bit out of the city for the walking part of the tour. I have had a few visitors over and Ive brought thmem round to the houses & school, which would be way to far out to take on the walking tours.

Project Arts Centre - same as first question.

Lillies Bordello - still there as far as I know. And not sure if the funky trio still go. I gather they go on special occasions.It's a bit too much on the up market for the likes of me to attend in any way regularly.

The POD's not a bad place. Been there a few times.

Guggi or Gavin - I met the threesome one night on Baggot Steet. I have a pic somewhere I must dig up. Gavin I've met once or twice - usually on the quays in Dublin city. Gucci lives in Dundrum - a township not too far from my house (about 15 mins walk) and managed to see him a few times (hard to miss his flowing blond hair!) wandering round. He's not someone I'd tend to rush over and shake his hand - considering he's usually out with his kids when I see him.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

daveyg

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 07:27:30 AM »

Were Larry and Boy George ever an item[/li][/list]

??? Whoever asked that question, God have mercy on his soul.

Now I think there was some basis of background to this question. I think I recollect someone telling me that Boy Goerge said something about Larry's looks etc etc.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
    « Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 07:49:49 AM »
    Thanks so much for the reply and the great picture, daveyg!  I love those guys.  Yeah, Guggi would be hard to miss.  His boys all have that long blond hair too-adorable.  I would never bother anyone if they are with their children.  Some things are just off limits.  So where would "the likes of you" hangout in Dublin? I sure would not be in Lillies or Krystle (spellling may be wrong) and I am pretty sure they wouldn't let me in anyway (not a celeb or a supermodel).  I think I would have a lot more fun with a recommendation from you.  When I get back to Dublin, I hope I can take your tour.  It sounds great.  I know I won't get lost this time! Oh, and about the Boy George thing-I believe he once made a comment about how much he, um , "liked" Larry.  Then I remember reading that Boy George said that Larry runs the other way every time they happen to run into each other! 

daveyg

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 01:38:27 AM »
    So where would "the likes of you" hangout in Dublin? I sure would not be in Lillies or Krystle (spellling may be wrong) and I am pretty sure they wouldn't let me in anyway (not a celeb or a supermodel).  I think I would have a lot more fun with a recommendation from you. Oh, and about the Boy George thing-I believe he once made a comment about how much he, um , "liked" Larry.  Then I remember reading that Boy George said that Larry runs the other way every time they happen to run into each other! 

I personally would avoid town - I live far out southside and it's a bit of a pain getting out home late at night, but there's a heap of places to go - if you're ever over, drop me a line and Ill let you know where!

yeh - that was the rough Larry-Boy George thing!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
    « Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 07:42:58 AM »
    I will certainly do so!  Thanks, daveyg.  That is very nice of you.  By the way, I love your posts.  They are informative, interesting and fun too (especially since you live right there in U2's backyard).  Let me know if you ever run into Guggi or Gavin.  I know you would let us all know if you bump into Bono and the boys.  Hey, by the way, do you like the Virgin Prunes?  It is hard to find someone who is a fan of both.  So I have to split my time between this great forum and the Virgin Prunes/Gavin Friday one.  That is a great one too.  Nice people as well.   

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
    • Yay, it's Larry!!!
    « Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 09:36:58 AM »

Now I think there was some basis of background to this question. I think I recollect someone telling me that Boy Goerge said something about Larry's looks etc etc.

I REMEMBER!!!!! I have a memory of a wombat (not meant to be an insult to those lovely creatures), but I remembered maybe not "the connection", but definitely "a connection"!!!!

Boy George said "Whenever Bono sings 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for,' I want to shout 'Look behind you!"

Offline zooey

• Elevated
      • Boom Cha
      « Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 04:27:40 PM »
      That's right!!!  "Look behind you!"  Priceless.

daveyg

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2008, 05:06:51 AM »
      I will certainly do so!  Thanks, daveyg.  That is very nice of you.  By the way, I love your posts.  They are informative, interesting and fun too (especially since you live right there in U2's backyard).  Let me know if you ever run into Guggi or Gavin.  I know you would let us all know if you bump into Bono and the boys.  Hey, by the way, do you like the Virgin Prunes?  It is hard to find someone who is a fan of both.  So I have to split my time between this great forum and the Virgin Prunes/Gavin Friday one.  That is a great one too.  Nice people as well.   

TBH I havent heard much Virgin prunes stuff. I'd be occasionally prone to Mr. Friday's music..... He was "Artistic Consultant" to the Vertigo tour (or a title to that effect), so, he is a bit arty. He did a duet with Bono, ohhhhhhh.... back in the late 90s (or was it early 90s? I'm old!) for the soundtrach of the film "In the Name of the Father" - a film about the Guilford Four.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
      « Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 09:34:11 AM »
      Ha!  Those are some great questions.  The milk comment is very random....

If I ever make it to Dublin (Tour '09 fingers crossed!) I'd love to go on one of your tours!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
      « Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »
      Thanks for the reply daveyg.  Yeah, the Virgin Prunes stuff is pretty far out there so it is certainly not a everyone's cup of tea.  As for Gavin, yes, I loved the film and music for In the Name of the Father.  Daniel Day Lewis was fantastic.  He and Bono also wrote Time Enough for Tears and Gavin did the soundtrack for the great film In America directed by your wonderful Jim Sheridan.  I think Gavin contributes often to U2's stuff.  He is arty. In U2 by U2 Bono says Gavin saved With or Without You.  The band was about to scrap the song until he "reworked" it.  They are very 2 very different artists but have remained best of friends for almost 30 years.  It is nice to see how they help each other out.  Bono has worked on Gavin's solo stuff too.  The whole band is close to Gavin.  Sorry, I seem to be "wandering" off topic.  Bye for now.

daveyg

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 07:22:14 AM »
      Ha!  Those are some great questions.  The milk comment is very random....

If I ever make it to Dublin (Tour '09 fingers crossed!) I'd love to go on one of your tours!

Yes, quite random indeed. And Ive heard slightly worse and more random ones on top of that! Ask me about them in person if and when you make it over. It'll make you laugh!

In U2 by U2 Bono says Gavin saved With or Without You.  The band was about to scrap the song until he "reworked" it. 

Yes, that's right - that almost slipped my mind... Where would U2 have been without Gavin's input? :)

Oh another one - Adam being grey - I was asked if that was a hair colour thing he put in and if I know what hair colour he's going next? Have I seen him recently and what colour is is hair now?

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
      « Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 11:20:37 AM »
      Hey, daveyg, you should really have your own little "sub" forum in this forum!  There is endless amounts of stuff you can entertain us with!  Don't forget to tell me when you bump into that funky trinity!  Always nice talking to you.

daveyg

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 03:49:13 PM »
      An "ask Daveyg" or the like sub forum? naw..... that'd be too..... ahem.... mods? admin?..... They're all way too busy and nice to have something like that!! lol

OK OK..... put bottle of wine down, Dave...... (Ill regret this in the morning!)

Offline i_heartU2

• Stateless
      • It's a beautiful day....
      « Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 06:56:21 PM »

I REMEMBER!!!!! I have a memory of a wombat (not meant to be an insult to those lovely creatures), but I remembered maybe not "the connection", but definitely "a connection"!!!!

Boy George said "Whenever Bono sings 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for,' I want to shout 'Look behind you!"
        Lol! ;D