Author Topic: Should U2 not try to outdo the 360 tour?  (Read 42769 times)

hrsan

Should U2 not try to outdo the 360 tour?
« on: October 24, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »
Rolling Stone magazine lists the 13 tours we'd like to see next year and they say that U2 should do an arena tour and have mixed setlists like Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen.  Does everybody else feel that way (I know that I do).

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
Re: Should U2 not try to outdo the 360 tour?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:31:30 PM »
Yep. No need for another stadium tour.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »
most big fans of big groups would love to see them in smaller venues...but, at least U2 does the stadium tours the "right way", since the staging and technology has grown from the "box style stage" days... 

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »
The bigger the venue, the bigger the chance that the band will sacrifice artistic integrity for the sake of pleasing the massive audience. It's completely understandable, but for my part, it makes the whole thing feel watered-down.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:01:34 PM »
if it's a out-and-out rock album or something like Songs of Ascent was supposed to be, go arena.

if it's more dance oriented, some stadium-sized gigs in places like Paris' Hippodrome, any speedway or the locations used for their Moncton and Montreal gigs on the 360 tour would be cool. bleachers to sit down for some people, plenty of dance space for everyone else. Massive lights on towers lighting up the crowd from front to back. :)

Michigan International Speedway, Auto Club Speedway outside of LA, Hyde Park, Central Park, Grant Park in Chicago, Golden Gate Park in SF, Flinders Park in Sydney...party on! Obviously, you couldn't do that everywhere, but you'd be able to put on shows like that in many areas before you would have to consider going into a stadium again.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »
It will be stadiums - though possibly arenas in North America - because U2 know they can fill them and make a fortune.

Offline NeverInTheDaylight

• Babyface
  • Every artist is a cannibal
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 02:30:35 AM »
Smaller venues are the way to go, i think, at this stage of their career....Again, why would they try to keep topping themselves?? Thats a definite recipe for disappointment, not so much for the fans, but for the band...Even THEY cant top themselves....the 360 tour was the hugest moneymaking tour ever....and the most expensive...With Bono's voice getting weaker, i think they could continue to impact audiences in a smaller setting instead of getting lost within a vast stage setup amongst a stadium sea of people....

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 03:38:14 AM »
I'm guessing it will be like the Vertigo Tour a bit of both. I think you can outdo the 360 tour inside for what its worth

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 08:26:11 AM »
I agree that an arena tour would probably be the way to go. After Zoo TV, PopMart, and now 360, it's hard to imagine how much bigger the band could go. I love stadium shows but I wouldn't mind seeing something more stripped down this time around.

I loved the Vertigo Tour because of the varied setlists and small tweaks that they made to it as it went on.

Offline JohnInAthens

• Refugee
  • atU2 Staff - Venue Archaeologist
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 08:30:29 AM »
I'm hoping that the next record sounds like four guys making music in a room.

I'm hoping that the next tour is the same.

Get small, y'all.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »

U2's decision for the next tour will tell all, for love or money?

Varied set-list would be nice, but first and foremost make it good (U2's greatest tour had a pretty static set) I don't want to hear them struggle through Electrical Storm again just for the sake of it, if they can't be Ar**d to learn it then why should anyone else be Ar**d to pay to listen? Keep the faith in new material, rotate and reinvent the hits (y'know, like they used to) and if they have to have an acoustic set then they've got a fair amount of material to make it a good one, Van Diemen's Land, White As Snow etc Lose some weight, drop the leather, drop the Elton John 'pretend to scream' moves (so crap) stop trying to sing so bloody high, start fresh, fun and light, not old, heavy and nostalgic - it leaves you nowhere to go, and most importantly, please Edge, get rid of the Madonna mic (you used to be cool) = 360 topped, chopped and diced.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 11:01:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Varied set-list would be nice, but first and foremost make it good (U2's greatest tour had a pretty static set) I don't want to hear them struggle through Electrical Storm again just for the sake of it, if they can't be Ar**d to learn it then why should anyone else be Ar**d to pay to listen? Keep the faith in new material, rotate and reinvent the hits (y'know, like they used to) and if they have to have an acoustic set then they've got a fair amount of material to make it a good one, Van Diemen's Land, White As Snow etc Lose some weight, drop the leather, drop the Elton John 'pretend to scream' moves (so crap) stop trying to sing so bloody high, start fresh, fun and light, not old, heavy and nostalgic - it leaves you nowhere to go, and most importantly, please Edge, get rid of the Madonna mic (you used to be cool) = 360 topped, chopped and diced.

That's probably the most difficult bit.  As you get older, losing weight and keeping it off is a tall order.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 12:06:17 PM »

That's probably the most difficult bit.  As you get older, losing weight and keeping it off is a tall order.

If their bodies betray their true ages, then they should wear clothes to match (instead of stuffing all that fat into leather and looking like a sausage).

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 12:28:55 PM »
I think the album should determine the tour this time round. Let's see how good it really is first.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »

Gotta agree with everything you said. Some artists like Springsteen and Pearl Jam can pull a varied setlist, but they are better musicians and it's been part of their show since the beginning. Some of U2's surprise songs on 360 didn't come off very well. Love Rescue Me was one of my all time favorite live songs from the Lovetown tour, but was pi*s poor on 360. If you're gonna do a number then take the time to properly rehearse it. If you ask fans to pay good money for the show, you should take the time and put in the effort to learn the songs.