Author Topic: Should U2 not try to outdo the 360 tour?  (Read 42781 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Should U2 not try to outdo the 360 tour?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 12:58:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

U2's decision for the next tour will tell all, for love or money?

Varied set-list would be nice, but first and foremost make it good (U2's greatest tour had a pretty static set) I don't want to hear them struggle through Electrical Storm again just for the sake of it, if they can't be Ar**d to learn it then why should anyone else be Ar**d to pay to listen? Keep the faith in new material, rotate and reinvent the hits (y'know, like they used to) and if they have to have an acoustic set then they've got a fair amount of material to make it a good one, Van Diemen's Land, White As Snow etc Lose some weight, drop the leather, drop the Elton John 'pretend to scream' moves (so crap) stop trying to sing so bloody high, start fresh, fun and light, not old, heavy and nostalgic - it leaves you nowhere to go, and most importantly, please Edge, get rid of the Madonna mic (you used to be cool) = 360 topped, chopped and diced.

That's probably the most difficult bit.  As you get older, losing weight and keeping it off is a tall order.

If their bodies betray their true ages, then they should wear clothes to match (instead of stuffing all that fat into leather and looking like a sausage).

Maybe he should do what Elvis did when he couldn't carry off leather anymore, and wear an extra extra large sequined jumpsuit in which to belt out the hits to women of a certain age.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 12:58:58 PM »

Varied set-list would be nice, but first and foremost make it good (U2's greatest tour had a pretty static set) I don't want to hear them struggle through Electrical Storm again just for the sake of it, if they can't be Ar**d to learn it then why should anyone else be Ar**d to pay to listen? Keep the faith in new material, rotate and reinvent the hits (y'know, like they used to) and if they have to have an acoustic set then they've got a fair amount of material to make it a good one, Van Diemen's Land, White As Snow etc Lose some weight, drop the leather, drop the Elton John 'pretend to scream' moves (so crap) stop trying to sing so bloody high, start fresh, fun and light, not old, heavy and nostalgic - it leaves you nowhere to go, and most importantly, please Edge, get rid of the Madonna mic (you used to be cool) = 360 topped, chopped and diced.

Gotta agree with everything you said. Some artists like Springsteen and Pearl Jam can pull a varied setlist, but they are better musicians and it's been part of their show since the beginning. Some of U2's surprise songs on 360 didn't come off very well. Love Rescue Me was one of my all time favorite live songs from the Lovetown tour, but was pi*s poor on 360. If you're gonna do a number then take the time to properly rehearse it. If you ask fans to pay good money for the show, you should take the time and put in the effort to learn the songs.

That first post is so on the button!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »
If U2 reserved 1/3 of their set for rotating songs with each slot having three options (as in, "For our third song we'll play either Gloria, New Year's Day, or I Will Follow, and our ninth song will either be Gone, The Fly, or Dirty Day"), then they could create a nearly infinite set of possibilities without even having to learn a new song.

It's a no-brainer, but they won't do it. No one ever listens to me....

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 01:09:45 PM »
If U2 reserved 1/3 of their set for rotating songs with each slot having three options (as in, "For our third song we'll play either Gloria, New Year's Day, or I Will Follow, and our ninth song will either be Gone, The Fly, or Dirty Day"), then they could create a nearly infinite set of possibilities without even having to learn a new song.

Aw... don't take on so, I listen to you... occasionally.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 01:30:43 PM »

Correction: None of the right people listen to me.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »

Correction: None of the right people listen to me.

I'm sorry, but unless you've got a money making proposal, Paul McGuinness doesn't listen to anyone.  Not even me.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 07:34:46 AM »

That's probably the most difficult bit.  As you get older, losing weight and keeping it off is a tall order.

Yeah I understand that and I sympathise with him. So lets say, drop weight or stop prancing around.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 08:09:41 AM »
U2 will plan their next tour based on what they think DEMAND for tickets will be. Going down from playing 65,000 capacity stadiums to only 18,500 capacity arena's could pose serious problems if DEMAND for tickets is the same as last time or greater than last time. Half of the bands fans may be unable to get tickets in various markets if they go back to arena's.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
imagine if it's their last tour too!

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 09:36:15 PM »
I'm hoping that the next record sounds like four guys making music in a room.

I'm hoping that the next tour is the same.

Get small, y'all.

What he said.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 07:14:47 PM »
Completely agree about actually learning to play the songs.  It's like the thinking is, "bothering to LEARN the songs is just so un-rock-and-roll".  Also, how about a setlist that makes sense?  I'm still gobsmacked from the Crazy Tonight-into-SBS transition in 360.

But yeah, arenas is fine.  I may very well not even attend a stadium tour at this point.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 07:17:41 PM »
Completely agree about actually learning to play the songs.  It's like the thinking is, "bothering to LEARN the songs is just so un-rock-and-roll".  Also, how about a setlist that makes sense?  I'm still gobsmacked from the Crazy Tonight-into-SBS transition in 360.

But yeah, arenas is fine.  I may very well not even attend a stadium tour at this point.

Good lad.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »
U2 will plan their next tour based on what they think DEMAND for tickets will be. Going down from playing 65,000 capacity stadiums to only 18,500 capacity arena's could pose serious problems if DEMAND for tickets is the same as last time or greater than last time. Half of the bands fans may be unable to get tickets in various markets if they go back to arena's.

When they play arena's they usually play multiple dates if the DEMAND is there. Seemed to work for the Elevation and Vertigo tours.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 07:42:36 PM »

When they play arena's they usually play multiple dates if the DEMAND is there. Seemed to work for the Elevation and Vertigo tours.

1. On Elevation the band was still recovering from POP/POPMART so demand was for the most part in line in most markets with the 80 or so arena shows they played in North America with exception of some of the big cities. But in Europe it was impossible for most fans to get tickets. Two 18,500 capacity arena shows in Paris doesn't at all put a dent in demand. In fact, U2 did not even meet the demand in Paris on the last tour with three shows in the 90,000 capacity range. Think about how many arena shows it would take to satisfy demand in Paris!?!?

2. The Vertigo Tour was stadiums everywhere except Canada, USA, and Japan. Canada and the USA had severe problems with ticket demand because the shows were in arena's. Fans got shut out of shows and those in the fan club failed to get quality tickets. It was a major headache with fans trading accusations with Larry Mullen about the bands management of the situation. Larry said, "For those accusing the band of unseemly things, I have two words for you". A heated situation indeed and not one that band would want to repeat.

3. U2 sold 7,272,046 tickets on the last tour playing 110 stadiums. If the band moved to arena's, it would take 393 arena shows to sell that number of tickets with an average of 18,500 tickets sold per show. A 393 date arena tour would take at least 4 maybe 5 years compared to the 2 years and 1 month that the previous tour in stadiums took. Even if you cut that figure in half, and have the band only sell half that number of tickets, your still talking 200 arena shows. The most shows the band have ever done on a single tour is 157 and in general it appears they would want something at least a little less than that. That makes stadiums a natural fit for the band, given the demand.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »
Rolling Stone magazine lists the 13 tours we'd like to see next year and they say that U2 should do an arena tour and have mixed setlists like Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen.  Does everybody else feel that way (I know that I do).

I haven't agreed with Rolling Stone in a long time, but yeah, I'm all for an arena tour, or at least a tour of more intimate venues.  If the keep getting any bigger, their heads will get even bigger than the stadiums...or is it too late for that? X-)