Author Topic: Should U2 not try to outdo the 360 tour?  (Read 42770 times)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
Re: Should U2 not try to outdo the 360 tour?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 10:40:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If U2 reserved 1/3 of their set for rotating songs with each slot having three options (as in, "For our third song we'll play either Gloria, New Year's Day, or I Will Follow, and our ninth song will either be Gone, The Fly, or Dirty Day"), then they could create a nearly infinite set of possibilities without even having to learn a new song.

It's a no-brainer, but they won't do it. No one ever listens to me....

Or, as an alternative...when Peter Gabriel was touring behind So in 1986-87, he and his band worked out 6 different setlists during tour rehearsals and did them on a rotating basis. I saw both Detroit shows (Nov. '86 and July '87) and they weren't radically different or anything - 3 or 4 songs was all the change we got, and it was enough.

bethere: that's why I'd like to see massive shows in parks and stadiums if they go big. Same size crowds, but room to move for everyone.  :D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 04:00:58 AM »
U2 will plan their next tour based on what they think DEMAND for tickets will be. Going down from playing 65,000 capacity stadiums to only 18,500 capacity arena's could pose serious problems if DEMAND for tickets is the same as last time or greater than last time. Half of the bands fans may be unable to get tickets in various markets if they go back to arena's.

When they play arena's they usually play multiple dates if the DEMAND is there. Seemed to work for the Elevation and Vertigo tours.

1. On Elevation the band was still recovering from POP/POPMART so demand was for the most part in line in most markets with the 80 or so arena shows they played in North America with exception of some of the big cities. But in Europe it was impossible for most fans to get tickets. Two 18,500 capacity arena shows in Paris doesn't at all put a dent in demand. In fact, U2 did not even meet the demand in Paris on the last tour with three shows in the 90,000 capacity range. Think about how many arena shows it would take to satisfy demand in Paris!?!?

2. The Vertigo Tour was stadiums everywhere except Canada, USA, and Japan. Canada and the USA had severe problems with ticket demand because the shows were in arena's. Fans got shut out of shows and those in the fan club failed to get quality tickets. It was a major headache with fans trading accusations with Larry Mullen about the bands management of the situation. Larry said, "For those accusing the band of unseemly things, I have two words for you". A heated situation indeed and not one that band would want to repeat.

3. U2 sold 7,272,046 tickets on the last tour playing 110 stadiums. If the band moved to arena's, it would take 393 arena shows to sell that number of tickets with an average of 18,500 tickets sold per show. A 393 date arena tour would take at least 4 maybe 5 years compared to the 2 years and 1 month that the previous tour in stadiums took. Even if you cut that figure in half, and have the band only sell half that number of tickets, your still talking 200 arena shows. The most shows the band have ever done on a single tour is 157 and in general it appears they would want something at least a little less than that. That makes stadiums a natural fit for the band, given the demand.

Ticket demand changes depending on the tour.  For example, in 1994/95 the Stones played 123 stadium shows and sold 6.6 Million tickets on the Voodoo Lounge tour, but by their next tour they sold nearly two million fewer tickets and they played more arenas in North America during a mixed leg.  By the tour after that (the Licks tour) they were down to 3.25 Million over 108 dates.  Point is, Voodoo Lounge represented the peak of ticket demand for the Stones but that demand started to decline thereafter, and so it's perfectly reasonable to expect ticket demand for U2's next tour to decline in a similar way if 360 represented U2's peak of ticket demand.  Because of this likelihood, I expect U2 to play a mixed tour next time out with arenas in North America and stadiums everywhere else.  Of course, like the Stones, they could do a truly mixed tour of arenas and stadiums in North America AND the rest of the world, and this approach would both meet ticket demand and give fans a choice of the type of venue they'd like to see the band in.  Don't think it will happen though. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 04:03:28 AM »
If U2 reserved 1/3 of their set for rotating songs with each slot having three options (as in, "For our third song we'll play either Gloria, New Year's Day, or I Will Follow, and our ninth song will either be Gone, The Fly, or Dirty Day"), then they could create a nearly infinite set of possibilities without even having to learn a new song.

It's a no-brainer, but they won't do it. No one ever listens to me....

Or, as an alternative...when Peter Gabriel was touring behind So in 1986-87, he and his band worked out 6 different setlists during tour rehearsals and did them on a rotating basis. I saw both Detroit shows (Nov. '86 and July '87) and they weren't radically different or anything - 3 or 4 songs was all the change we got, and it was enough.

To be fair, U2 played some pretty varied setlists on 360.

Offline stuc

• Stateless
  • I can't change the world but .....
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 05:12:18 AM »
I dont think thats the direct risk, I think its more about them not repeating themselves or playing it too safe.  After Popmart, the Elevation tour was less directly specactular but in some ways much harder to pull off and make as amazing as it was. But we mustnt compare apples and pears.  They need something that is not bigger or necessarily better but something that directly touches the fans again imo

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 05:18:37 AM »
After PopMART, Elevation was a bold deviation to what had become the norm of the big stadium concept show.  And perhaps, if I may be so bold, a sort of 're-invention' of the band.  Problem is, what was a refreshing change of direction in 2001 had become quite predictable by 2011 in terms of their live sound.  More than anything, on the next tour they need to change their sound - hopefully to reflect the new album - and rearrange some of the increasingly stale sounding classics, whilst dropping others completely.

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »
I expect U2 to play a mixed tour next time out with arenas in North America and stadiums everywhere else. 

Doesn't that mean you wouldn't be attending any shows?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 09:36:22 AM »
I expect U2 to play a mixed tour next time out with arenas in North America and stadiums everywhere else. 

It does.  I'm not interested in seeing a rock concert in a football stadium.  By any band.  It also bugs me that artists like U2, Rolling Stones, Springsteen and R.E.M are far more likely to play arenas in North America when they're playing stadiums elsewhere on the same tours.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 10:21:32 AM »

It does.  I'm not interested in seeing a rock concert in a football stadium.  By any band.  It also bugs me that artists like U2, Rolling Stones, Springsteen and R.E.M are far more likely to play arenas in North America when they're playing stadiums elsewhere on the same tours.

I agree that it will be mixed: arenas in north america and stadiums in Europe.

I read somewhere that part of the reason artists play the stadiums in Europe over arena shows is that many European cities do not have quality arenas. There are 2 major indoor sports in North America (hockey and basketball) so all major cities have quality arenas that have been built within the last 20 years or so. Because soccer is so big elsewhere in the world they have quality stadiums instead of arenas.

Weather is also a factor. Springsteen, U2, and others can play the European stadiums in the late spring/summer/early fall when it's hot and then play the North American indoor arenas in the late fall/winter/early spring when the weather is bad. This is basically what Springsteen did this year.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 10:28:40 AM »

I agree that it will be mixed: arenas in north america and stadiums in Europe.

I read somewhere that part of the reason artists play the stadiums in Europe over arena shows is that many European cities do not have quality arenas. There are 2 major indoor sports in North America (hockey and basketball) so all major cities have quality arenas that have been built within the last 20 years or so. Because soccer is so big elsewhere in the world they have quality stadiums instead of arenas.

Weather is also a factor. Springsteen, U2, and others can play the European stadiums in the late spring/summer/early fall when it's hot and then play the North American indoor arenas in the late fall/winter/early spring when the weather is bad. This is basically what Springsteen did this year.

There are decent 10,000+ seater venues in many cities throughout Europe, so that's not an excuse.

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2012, 10:47:54 AM »

U2's decision for the next tour will tell all, for love or money?

Varied set-list would be nice, but first and foremost make it good (U2's greatest tour had a pretty static set) I don't want to hear them struggle through Electrical Storm again just for the sake of it, if they can't be Ar**d to learn it then why should anyone else be Ar**d to pay to listen? Keep the faith in new material, rotate and reinvent the hits (y'know, like they used to) and if they have to have an acoustic set then they've got a fair amount of material to make it a good one, Van Diemen's Land, White As Snow etc Lose some weight, drop the leather, drop the Elton John 'pretend to scream' moves (so crap) stop trying to sing so bloody high, start fresh, fun and light, not old, heavy and nostalgic - it leaves you nowhere to go, and most importantly, please Edge, get rid of the Madonna mic (you used to be cool) = 360 topped, chopped and diced.

What do you mean by "Elton John 'pretend to scream' moves"?

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2012, 11:25:25 AM »

Varied set-list would be nice, but first and foremost make it good (U2's greatest tour had a pretty static set) I don't want to hear them struggle through Electrical Storm again just for the sake of it, if they can't be Ar**d to learn it then why should anyone else be Ar**d to pay to listen? Keep the faith in new material, rotate and reinvent the hits (y'know, like they used to) and if they have to have an acoustic set then they've got a fair amount of material to make it a good one, Van Diemen's Land, White As Snow etc Lose some weight, drop the leather, drop the Elton John 'pretend to scream' moves (so crap) stop trying to sing so bloody high, start fresh, fun and light, not old, heavy and nostalgic - it leaves you nowhere to go, and most importantly, please Edge, get rid of the Madonna mic (you used to be cool) = 360 topped, chopped and diced.

When John sits at his piano he'll turn to the audience from time to time and will proceed to open his mouth really really wide, it looks like he's letting out an almighty belch courtesy of the three roast chickens he consumed before going on. It looks bloody naff and horribly staged, Bono used to do it in photos a lot which is fine but he's doing it on stage now. All. The. Time. I hate it. I realise it's suppose to convey a 'lost in the moment so much I'll scream' thing, but for me it does the exact opposite. What's worse is that it dilutes the moments when he is genuinely moved and lost in his own world.

Just a little nit picky thing, undoubtedly just me.

As a frontman the man has lost his power over me, not something I wanted to happen nor something I'll deny, it all looks so staged to me now.

But when I go back and watch Elevation or anything before it - BANG there it is, the old Bono magic. I realise he can't help getting older (and neither can I) but he needs to shape up or calm down. Jagger can still be Jagger because - he's still Mick Jagger. Bono isn't Bono anymore but he's trying desperately to be so and it's a sad sight to me. Jesus this is depressing, love the guy to bits. Not trying to hate on him or anything.

Seeing that rehearsal footage the other day from a TV show summed it up. Bono was passionately telling the camera man to make sure he was in Bono's face at a certain point in the song "It'll give me a chance to take the glasses off!" or words to that effect. Like, so what? Who gives a rats ass.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:37:02 AM by Bads316 »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 11:42:10 AM »
I think Bono can't contain himself from screaming at the thought of all the money he's making these days.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2012, 11:45:43 AM »
Seeing that rehearsal footage the other day from a TV show summed it up. Bono was passionately telling the camera man to make sure he was in Bono's face at a certain point in the song "It'll give me a chance to take the glasses off!" or words to that effect. Like, so what? Who gives a rats ass.

He's a posing p****.  It's a wonder he didn't say to the camera guy: "make sure you get my good side".

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2012, 11:59:51 AM »

When John sits at his piano he'll turn to the audience from time to time and will proceed to open his mouth really really wide, it looks like he's letting out an almighty belch courtesy of the three roast chickens he consumed before going on. It looks bloody naff and horribly staged, Bono used to do it in photos a lot which is fine but he's doing it on stage now. All. The. Time. I hate it. I realise it's suppose to convey a 'lost in the moment so much I'll scream' thing, but for me it does the exact opposite. What's worse is that it dilutes the moments when he is genuinely moved and lost in his own world.

Just a little nit picky thing, undoubtedly just me.

As a frontman the man has lost his power over me, not something I wanted to happen nor something I'll deny, it all looks so staged to me now.

But when I go back and watch Elevation or anything before it - BANG there it is, the old Bono magic. I realise he can't help getting older (and neither can I) but he needs to shape up or calm down. Jagger can still be Jagger because - he's still Mick Jagger. Bono isn't Bono anymore but he's trying desperately to be so and it's a sad sight to me. Jesus this is depressing, love the guy to bits. Not trying to hate on him or anything.

I feel the same way. I think back in the '80's Bono was running on pure emotion/anger/passion during the live shows. He's even said as much that he needed to calm down. In the 90's he put on leather and shades but that emotion still drove many of those performances. The last 2 tours i've felt (like yourself) that he's faking it some of the time. Those fake screams aren't needed. I just think that at this stage in his life he isn't angry or as passionate as he was when he was young, so he the emotion isn't there and he trys to fake it in certain songs now.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2012, 12:10:35 PM »
Why does this make me think of Bono?  ;D