Author Topic: Should U2 not try to outdo the 360 tour?  (Read 42980 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Should U2 not try to outdo the 360 tour?
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2012, 12:51:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If U2 reserved 1/3 of their set for rotating songs with each slot having three options (as in, "For our third song we'll play either Gloria, New Year's Day, or I Will Follow, and our ninth song will either be Gone, The Fly, or Dirty Day"), then they could create a nearly infinite set of possibilities without even having to learn a new song.

It's a no-brainer, but they won't do it. No one ever listens to me....

Or, as an alternative...when Peter Gabriel was touring behind So in 1986-87, he and his band worked out 6 different setlists during tour rehearsals and did them on a rotating basis. I saw both Detroit shows (Nov. '86 and July '87) and they weren't radically different or anything - 3 or 4 songs was all the change we got, and it was enough.

bethere: that's why I'd like to see massive shows in parks and stadiums if they go big. Same size crowds, but room to move for everyone.  :D

I'll say this, though: if you have a band like PG's who can pull off different setlists, sure, go for it.  But I think the internet has sort of ruined this part of touring, where everybody knows all of the songs the band will play beforehand, potentially forcing the band to adopt different setlists--even if they can't quite pull them off.  Two of the best concerts I've ever seen were Zoo TV and PG's follow-up to the tour you mentioned, Secret World.  And both of those setlists were pretty stagnant, as compared to other tours.  Now, I think I'd read about Zoo TV beforehand, so I can't claim I went into it completely blind, but the culture now where everybody knows everything about the tour beforehand really has some unfortunate effects.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a static setlist, provided they create a wonderful show like Zoo TV and PopMart.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2012, 01:21:53 PM »
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a static setlist, provided they create a wonderful show like Zoo TV and PopMart.
I agree 100%...however, at NJ in 2011, when they unexpectedly added "Out Of Control" at the very end...was a very pleasant surprise...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2012, 01:26:29 PM »
I agree 100%...however, at NJ in 2011, when they unexpectedly added "Out Of Control" at the very end...was a very pleasant surprise...

The 360 setlists weren't static. 

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »
I don't understand what it is people expect, from Bono. I mean with the "passion" thing...

He's 52 years old, he's been playing shows for over 30 years, he has achieved way more than what he could have imagined (when he started singing). He has a wife, kids, and probably will soon be a "grandpa". What kind of passion do you expect him to show?  ???

I think the "open mouth" thing is just to give something to the kids and/or reporters snapping photographs. A lot of the moves he makes on stage are about the same thing. What would he do, otherwise? Become Liam Gallagher?

And I can't believe Jagger is being mentioned as an example! Come on! He lost his passion decades ago... From 1980 onwards, he just became a character, or an exaggeration of what people expected from him. Perhaps the film "Let's spend the night together" is a good example, of when he decided to turn himself into a separate show, sometimes even to the detriment of his own singing.

I think Bono has evolved a lot better, as a performer. He still puts as much passion as he possibly could, into the songs. But he performs and moves according to the song he's singing, and not just for the sake of showmanship. And he still delivers the "magic". At least he certainly did at the 360 show I attended. Yes, the "open mouth" thing is annoying sometimes, but I still prefer it over Jagger's aerobics-class attitude, or Liam Gallagher's  I-can't-sing-and-move-at-the-same-time attitude.

Lastly, maybe it would be important to clarify: Bads, this is not directed at you. The "lack of passion" complaints are all over the forum, that's what I'm responding to.

Ok, now I'll go sit next to the phone, and wait for Bono's thank you call.  :D

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2012, 05:36:39 PM »
I don't understand what it is people expect, from Bono. I mean with the "passion" thing...

He's 52 years old, he's been playing shows for over 30 years, he has achieved way more than what he could have imagined (when he started singing). He has a wife, kids, and probably will soon be a "grandpa". What kind of passion do you expect him to show?  ???

I think the "open mouth" thing is just to give something to the kids and/or reporters snapping photographs. A lot of the moves he makes on stage are about the same thing. What would he do, otherwise? Become Liam Gallagher?

And I can't believe Jagger is being mentioned as an example! Come on! He lost his passion decades ago... From 1980 onwards, he just became a character, or an exaggeration of what people expected from him. Perhaps the film "Let's spend the night together" is a good example, of when he decided to turn himself into a separate show, sometimes even to the detriment of his own singing.

I think Bono has evolved a lot better, as a performer. He still puts as much passion as he possibly could, into the songs. But he performs and moves according to the song he's singing, and not just for the sake of showmanship. And he still delivers the "magic". At least he certainly did at the 360 show I attended. Yes, the "open mouth" thing is annoying sometimes, but I still prefer it over Jagger's aerobics-class attitude, or Liam Gallagher's  I-can't-sing-and-move-at-the-same-time attitude.

Lastly, maybe it would be important to clarify: Bads, this is not directed at you. The "lack of passion" complaints are all over the forum, that's what I'm responding to.

I agree with you 100% in regard to why Bono doesn't have the same passion anymore, and I don't blame him. He's human, but he certainly is a different performer now then he was when he was young. When you're 25 and the band and the music means everything to you, you're gonna feel different then when you're 52 and you have a family, a broadway play, involvement in many different investments, 3 or more houses in different countrys, meetings with politicians and celebrities for the One campaign, his work in Africa, a hotel you own, etc.... U2 isn't his whole life anymore and there's nothing wrong with it. But as a fan there is nothing wrong with pointing out that he isn't the same performer he once was, and outside of Bruce Springsteen and maybe Prince, I don't know of any elder rock stars who bring it like they did in their youth. It's not like U2 are not a good live band anymore, they are, but they aren't the same band that put on some of the most passionate rock shows in history like they were in their prime. I saw Zoo TV arena show and it was something special, words really don't describe how great it was, but it was basically seeing one of the best live bands ever at their absolute peak. Like watching the Who in 1970, Led Zeppelin in 1973 or Springsteen in 1980 - just doesn't get any better.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2012, 05:52:20 PM »

No troubles.

A 52 year old wrapped in leather dancing around like he's still the fly is just a bit cringey for me at times, his new stuff with the mic stand always looks great though and his mime stuff is always good, and I loved the Zeus lightning throwing routine with him and Lawrence at the end of UTEOTW.

Chas De Whalley makes the great point that Bono will always bring something you've never seen before and that's still so true.

It's interesting that with him being curtailed by the weather at Glasto that I enjoyed his toned down performance a little more. I'm not asking him to stand still, but to be a little less Dad on the dancefloor I suppose.

U2 will never get the chance at a better goodbye (to mass touring) than the Elevation tour.

Jagger still looks like Jagger, thus his old routine still looks great to my eyes, the dirty old man stuff works for him, he looks like he's loving every minute of it.  For Bono I see a lack of confidence and a self-conciousness in what he's doing. I feel like he knows that it's not quite right, I think the creeping up of old age has hit him psychologically a lot harder than he'd ever admit.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:28:39 PM by Bads316 »

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »
Where are all the female fans and their annoyance at Bono's lack of passion? Me thinks I detect a little green monster.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2012, 09:19:11 AM »
Where are all the female fans and their annoyance at Bono's lack of passion? Me thinks I detect a little green monster.

That's a little different. What's eye rolling to me will be cute to them. Try telling a Twilight fan that R Patterson can't act. Try telling my mom that Donnie Osmond is a bloated waste of oxygen (No way I'd ever say that to her; remember that bit in Lord Of The Rings when Cate Blanchett goes mental?l!) Try telling me that Diane Keaton's ever been in a crap film (yeah maybe she has, so?) 

I realise I'm painting a huge group of people with one brush, I apologise for generalising, just trying to answer your point as best I can.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:16:58 AM by Bads316 »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2012, 11:31:01 AM »

Here's what I expect (or at least what I would prefer):

The band, recognizing their age and the subsequent need to shift gears from balls-to-the-wall rock and roll, decides to start thinking more about performing their music rather than staging massive spectacles. So they learn a handful of songs from their new album, as well as truly rehearse some older rare material (Wire, DYFL, Grace, whatever).

They opt to perform in small venues (smaller than arenas I mean) where there's a more intimate feel, which would enable to band to perhaps play the music in a lower key more suited to Bono's range.

In short, no huffing and puffing, no shouting at no one, no contrived passion. Just put the focus back where it belongs: on the actual songs.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:35:43 AM by The Exile »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 12:47:07 PM »

Here's what I expect (or at least what I would prefer):

The band, recognizing their age and the subsequent need to shift gears from balls-to-the-wall rock and roll, decides to start thinking more about performing their music rather than staging massive spectacles. So they learn a handful of songs from their new album, as well as truly rehearse some older rare material (Wire, DYFL, Grace, whatever).

They opt to perform in small venues (smaller than arenas I mean) where there's a more intimate feel, which would enable to band to perhaps play the music in a lower key more suited to Bono's range.

In short, no huffing and puffing, no shouting at no one, no contrived passion. Just put the focus back where it belongs: on the actual songs.

It's interesting. I agree with you, but this is big business and the band/management won't see the money in just a theater tour.

When you look at older rock bands/artists that are still performing it seems there are 2 paths:

1) The path that only a few have taken. Guys like Springsteen and Prince are basically musicians, and that's it. There's no side jobs. They play and write regularly which has kept them on top of their game, even in their 50's and 60's. Springsteen who I follow almost as much as U2, is truely in love with music. Stevie Van Zandt says that the Boss is always writing and has about 100 new songs in the works at any given time. Even when he's not touring and at home in New Jersey he is always showing up at bars to play with the house bands. Even his charity stuff revolves around playing shows. He's kept himself very close to being at the top of his game, which is rare for an artist in his 60's.

2) The road that many older artists choose: Release an album/go on lengthy tour/take 3 -4 years off/repeat. This is the model the Stones started and it looks like it is the path U2 are following. The problem with this is that when you aren't playing or writing for years at a time your skills get rusty. It's like an athlete who takes a few years off. They are never as good as they were before. When Ali was banned from boxing he was never the same when he came back. He was still great, but just not as great as he had been before. Also, when you're not playing or writing for 3 years, other things are taking up your time that you can become passionate about. How many musicians have decided that being painters was more important then writing songs? When he was in his 20's/30's U2 took up the majority of Bono's time. All his efforts went into the band. Now his effort is split between many different things. Not to say he still isn't a good songwriter or performer, cause he is, but how many great songs or melodys weren't created because his time was spent working on a play, vacationing, or doing his charity work? Same as the Stones, they put out good albums/songs in the 80's/90's/00's, but they weren't the quality of their 60's/70's work. Taking years off at a time has an affect on the band.

Smaller shows are a good idea, play some small venues for 2 - 3 months a year, even with no new album to promote. Just do it to keep yourselfs fresh. When your release a new album then do your regular arena/stadium tour.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2012, 04:08:44 PM »
for what it's worth (probably not much), @U2's Twitter feed says that some fan claims Edge told him that U2's next tour will be indoors with 360-degree seating.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2012, 04:35:20 PM »
Sigh.  I'm really not a fan of 360 seating.  Not for a rock show.

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2012, 05:23:37 PM »
Can they outdo  the 360 tour?

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2012, 05:26:54 PM »
Can they outdo  the 360 tour?

Do you mean in terms of art or commerce?