Author Topic: Should U2 not try to outdo the 360 tour?  (Read 42788 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Should U2 not try to outdo the 360 tour?
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I DREAD to think what prices fans would be charged (ripped off) to see an indoor u2 tour

They weren't really much higher to see U2 indoors on the Elevation tour when compared with ticket prices on PopMart.

The advantage of an arena tour is MUCH lower production costs. 

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2012, 01:52:38 PM »
They should try and outdo their own performances which were the worst I've seen in watching U2 live since 1981.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2012, 09:13:51 AM »
They should try and outdo their own performances which were the worst I've seen in watching U2 live since 1981.

Well am going to have to disagree with you.  I to am a long time fan and first saw U2 live in '84-UF Tour and never missed a tour since.  Now you should not mix up disagreeing with the setlist with the actual performance of the songs they actually sang.  Even though the production has gotten bigger now than in the 80's and now that the band are in their 50's I still find they played with the same emotion and passion and soul as when I first saw them in '84.  Obviously some of the older songs don't sound the same way we heard them live in the past, that's because they have to re-work the songs to fit his voice now that he is in his 50's.  It doesn't mean they performed them with any less passion than in the past.  It's just that Bono has to continually find new ways of singing older songs now that he himself is getting older.  As for the new material, if you don't like them that is your choice.  I saw 360 tour 8 times and found the new songs were played probably even with more energy and passion than some of the older tunes.  The last of the 360 concerts that I saw-The Toronto show in 2011 was absolutely incredible.  The band were on fire the moment they walked on stage, like they had something to prove.  The crowd was incredible.  I would rank that performance as one of the best U2 performance's that I've seen and I've seen quite a few U2 shows over the years.  Again this is performance, and not setlist, as the setlist can influence one's opinion as to whether or not U2 had a good performance because I could say I enjoyed the setlist on the UF and JT tours better but rank the performance just as equal on the 360 Tour.   Other than that maybe you caught U2 on a bad day if you are indeed talking about U2's performance on the 360 Tour and not the actual choice of songs that made the setlist.  As an example, I went to see the Rush-Clockwork Angels Tour in Toronto and I can say that I did not enjoy it as much as previous tours, and I've seen a lot of Rush concerts also.  Now was it a bad performance? No, they played with a lot of energy and passion and even humor. It was that I just didn't enjoy the setlist as much as previous tours.  That's just me, but put aside the setlist and they did played great.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 10:56:39 AM by boom boom »

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2012, 11:54:03 AM »

Well am going to have to disagree with you.  I to am a long time fan and first saw U2 live in '84-UF Tour and never missed a tour since.  Now you should not mix up disagreeing with the setlist with the actual performance of the songs they actually sang

Oh, I didn't.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2012, 02:22:07 PM »

Well am going to have to disagree with you.  I to am a long time fan and first saw U2 live in '84-UF Tour and never missed a tour since.  Now you should not mix up disagreeing with the setlist with the actual performance of the songs they actually sang

Oh, I didn't.

Well, then please elaborate what you mean when you say worst performance since 1981.  What show did you see? Did you see 1 or more than 1 show and were they all bad? Was it lacking in intensity , passion?  I am really interested to know, just out of curiosity what specific thing in their performance on the 360 tour you thought was lacking if you say it wasn't the setlist.  Most people who saw 360 did not question U2's passion and intensity in their performance but rather disagreed with the choice of songs that made the set and the lack changing the set up more often, but that is 2 separate things. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 02:46:14 PM by boom boom »

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2012, 02:46:30 PM »

Oh, I didn't.

Well, then please elaborate what you mean when you say worst performance since 1981.  What show did you see? Did you see 1 or more than 1 show and were they all bad? Was it lacking in intensity , passion?  I am really interested to know, just out of curiosity what specific thing in their performance on the 360 tour you thought was lacking if you say it wasn't the setlist. 

Any kind of objective analysis of art is an exercise in futility. Subjectively, they just came across to me as tired, sloppy, mailing-it-in.....Bono's voice is no longer capable of singing some of the songs and clearly the band themselves are pretty sick and tired of them 9at least that's the vibe I got watching them). To me the performances were just going through the motions. I saw multiple shows but the one I thought was positively THE worst, (Rose Bowl), others raved about. Subjective.

I had the opposite opinion of you re. clockwork angels, i loved the setlist, it was designed (imho) to:

energize the band by dragging out a lot of rarely played stuff rather than retread some warhorses
play to strengths/work around weaknesses (Geddy's waning voice, Neil's general aging)

2 things U2 could do well to emulate

So yes, I want to see U2 outdo themselves performance wise.

There's a few other things they could emulate but we'll save those for another time

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »

Oh, I didn't.

Well, then please elaborate what you mean when you say worst performance since 1981.  What show did you see? Did you see 1 or more than 1 show and were they all bad? Was it lacking in intensity , passion?  I am really interested to know, just out of curiosity what specific thing in their performance on the 360 tour you thought was lacking if you say it wasn't the setlist. 

Any kind of objective analysis of art is an exercise in futility. Subjectively, they just came across to me as tired, sloppy, mailing-it-in.....Bono's voice is no longer capable of singing some of the songs and clearly the band themselves are pretty sick and tired of them 9at least that's the vibe I got watching them). To me the performances were just going through the motions. I saw multiple shows but the one I thought was positively THE worst, (Rose Bowl), others raved about. Subjective.

I had the opposite opinion of you re. clockwork angels, i loved the setlist, it was designed (imho) to:

energize the band by dragging out a lot of rarely played stuff rather than retread some warhorses
play to strengths/work around weaknesses (Geddy's waning voice, Neil's general aging)

There's a few other things they could emulate but we'll save those for another time

Sure, maybe a few songs like WOWY came across tired, but how about some of the performances of songs like Ultraviolet? I saw Ultraviolet done 2 times during 360 and I thought both were unbelievable. Hard to compare some of the songs to previous tours, but i thought the shows as a whole were exciting, full of energy, and most of all, incredible.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »

Oh, I didn't.

Sure, maybe a few songs like WOWY came across tired, but how about some of the performances of songs like Ultraviolet? I saw Ultraviolet done 2 times during 360 and I thought both were unbelievable. Hard to compare some of the songs to previous tours, but i thought the shows as a whole were exciting, full of energy, and most of all, incredible.

each to their own

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2012, 04:45:04 PM »
A good example of what JTB is saying can be seen in the Vancouver show, which was the final night of the leg. The DVD had been filmed the night before, and there was no reason why U2 couldn't have done something special to let off steam or something. Instead, they just rehashed the exact same setlist from the Rose Bowl.

Lazy.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2012, 04:52:04 PM »
For me the band were on much better form on 360 than they were on Vertigo, which is heading in the right direction. There's always controversy with the setlist (in fairness, 360 was not nearly the most static setlist in U2's history). I thought Bono in particularly delivered well for most of the tour - his vocals were better than any tour since ZooTV on the nights he was on form. Which was most nights from leg 2 onwards. I think if we're being reasonable with our expectations of the band considering the stage they're at in their careers - they performed with bags of passion. I doubt I'll have that kind of energy and drive when I'm 50.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2012, 05:55:33 PM »

Oh, I didn't.

I'm glad they brought UltraViolet back because it's one of my favorite songs, but the performance of it wasn't that special and it wasn't even close to what it was on the Zoo TV tour.

While I enjoyed the 2 360 shows I went to, I have come to the realization that while U2 can still put on a good show, they don't come close to what they were as a live band in their prime.

Ultraviolet from '92 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »
I DREAD to think what prices fans would be charged (ripped off) to see an indoor u2 tour

They weren't really much higher to see U2 indoors on the Elevation tour when compared with ticket prices on PopMart.

The advantage of an arena tour is MUCH lower production costs.

Average Prices on POPMART were $50 dollars while on Elevation they were $80 dollars. Thats a 60% increase in ticket prices. In any event, I sort of doubt they would go back to Arena's given the success of the last tour. Your average 110 date arena tour can only provide tickets to 2.2 million fans. The 360 stadium tour of the same length can provide tickets to 7.3 million fans. Its hard to imagine after much time off that U2 would do a tour that would prevent over 70% of their fans from seeing the tour. But we'll see.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2012, 01:59:03 PM »

Oh, I didn't.

Well, then please elaborate what you mean when you say worst performance since 1981.  What show did you see? Did you see 1 or more than 1 show and were they all bad? Was it lacking in intensity , passion?  I am really interested to know, just out of curiosity what specific thing in their performance on the 360 tour you thought was lacking if you say it wasn't the setlist.  Most people who saw 360 did not question U2's passion and intensity in their performance but rather disagreed with the choice of songs that made the set and the lack changing the set up more often, but that is 2 separate things.

There were lots of changes depending on which legs of the tour you saw. The first two legs of the tour, nearly half the tour, averaged about 7 songs per night from the new album. Old songs that had not been performed in a while like Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet were played. In later legs the number of songs from the new album was cut down but they performed Zooropa for the first time. For U2 that was definitely changing it up.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »

Oh, I didn't.

While I enjoyed the 2 360 shows I went to, I have come to the realization that while U2 can still put on a good show, they don't come close to what they were as a live band in their prime.

I'd say Ultraviolet on 360 was just as good on average as the ZOO TV version. Sure, you can find a spectacular version on
youtube, but thats not exactly representitive of every show on the tour.

The funny thing is, I remember people on ZOO TV saying that, "while they were good live, they were not nearly as good as they were in their prime". LOL

There is always a bunch of fans that claim this on every tour since 1990, along with, their getting old, and this might be the last album or tour, etc., etc. Age is just a number.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2012, 02:21:56 PM »

Oh, I didn't.

I'd say Ultraviolet on 360 was just as good on average as the ZOO TV version. Sure, you can find a spectacular version on
youtube, but thats not exactly representitive of every show on the tour.

The funny thing is, I remember people on ZOO TV saying that, "while they were good live, they were not nearly as good as they were in their prime". LOL

There is always a bunch of fans that claim this on every tour since 1990, along with, their getting old, and this might be the last album or tour, etc., etc. Age is just a number.

Age is not just a number. Bono's voice is not what it was 20 years ago, and thus he doesn't try to take certain songs to places he used to. Just watch any version of With or Without You from 360 and compare it to Bono in his prime. You could do the same with Pride, Bad, One, etc...

And it isn't just fans making this comment. Bono said so himself. He said he "has lost the ability to fly" live and that is why certain songs are now more subdued.