Author Topic: Concerts of 2013  (Read 64757 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Concerts of 2013
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2013, 04:35:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Where are the DMB summer tour dates? :P I always forget when they announce them.

uh oh my gf is already mentioning the New Kids on the Block/ 98 Degrees/ Backstreet Boys show in June :(

I thought it was NKOTB, 98 Degrees and Boys II Men? (The fact that I even know that...)

She just confirmed it is in FACT Boys II Men.

edit->Actually no, I confirmed it. I just looked it up when she mocked the idea of it being BIIM.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:37:32 PM by @lmighty DS »

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2013, 09:38:16 PM »
Just got back from Muse.

The set design and effects were great.  The whole show had a high production value feel to it, with the trade off of course being that it was very choreographed. I don't mind a show that goes off without a hitch, and with the exception of a botched beginning to his Panic Station solo, Mr. Bellamy and company put on a very polished performance.

As a fan of the new album, I was glad that they played all but two songs (Big Freeze--am I the only one who loves that song?  :'( and Save Me) from it. Fans in our area were completely turned off by Animals and Explorers, which is sad because they're both great tunes even if they don't have everyone dancing in the aisles.  The entire arena really didn't know what to do when they played Isolated Systems...weird stage effects combined with lots of pre-recorded material was a bit off-putting. 

It was my first time seeing Muse and I've never watched anything of theirs live, so I had this idea that Matt Bellamy would have guitars hanging from his neck all night as he switched between keys, synths, pianos, and guitar. Imagine my disappointment when he only visited the piano 2-3 times in the entire night and the touring musician was partially obscured by a gaudy stage prop. He's definitely quite talented, but he's certainly far removed from the days when he had to work that hard on stage! It's hard to be a true trio with so much bombastic and heavy-handed production in your catalog. 

Last comment: Survival actually works live.  I couldn't figure out why they were clinging to it as a stalwart of the set after the crap that song's taken, but it really rocked and the audience was pumped.

You live in the LA area?
But on topic I just saw them Saturday night at Staples Center and I loved the show. All of their songs worked very well live.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2013, 10:27:10 PM »
uh oh my gf is already mentioning the New Kids on the Block/ 98 Degrees/ Backstreet Boys show in June :(

dump her. now.

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2013, 06:37:32 PM »
Just got back from Muse.

The set design and effects were great.  The whole show had a high production value feel to it, with the trade off of course being that it was very choreographed. I don't mind a show that goes off without a hitch, and with the exception of a botched beginning to his Panic Station solo, Mr. Bellamy and company put on a very polished performance.

As a fan of the new album, I was glad that they played all but two songs (Big Freeze--am I the only one who loves that song?  :'( and Save Me) from it. Fans in our area were completely turned off by Animals and Explorers, which is sad because they're both great tunes even if they don't have everyone dancing in the aisles.  The entire arena really didn't know what to do when they played Isolated Systems...weird stage effects combined with lots of pre-recorded material was a bit off-putting. 

It was my first time seeing Muse and I've never watched anything of theirs live, so I had this idea that Matt Bellamy would have guitars hanging from his neck all night as he switched between keys, synths, pianos, and guitar. Imagine my disappointment when he only visited the piano 2-3 times in the entire night and the touring musician was partially obscured by a gaudy stage prop. He's definitely quite talented, but he's certainly far removed from the days when he had to work that hard on stage! It's hard to be a true trio with so much bombastic and heavy-handed production in your catalog. 

Last comment: Survival actually works live.  I couldn't figure out why they were clinging to it as a stalwart of the set after the crap that song's taken, but it really rocked and the audience was pumped.

You live in the LA area?
But on topic I just saw them Saturday night at Staples Center and I loved the show. All of their songs worked very well live.
Saturday show set was a bit more to my taste  ;D glad you enjoyed it!  One of my students came to school with an autographed setlist from the Thursday show, so that was cool to see (and I noticed that only one song was different from my Wednesday show).

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
Just got back from Muse.

You live in the LA area?
Saturday show set was a bit more to my taste  ;D glad you enjoyed it!  One of my students came to school with an autographed setlist from the Thursday show, so that was cool to see (and I noticed that only one song was different from my Wednesday show).
Wow, lucky kid! Were they signing autographs after the show?
Where do you teach?

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2013, 06:09:36 PM »
^I teach at a school right by LAX (you can see the faces in the airplane windows when they fly over...really).

I don't think the band came back out after the show. They got the autographed set from a security guard who came out about twenty minutes after the set ended.

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2013, 08:40:24 PM »
Going to try for Killers tickets on Friday!! Wish me luck :-)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2013, 09:01:10 PM »

ok...but sympathy would be more appropriate.

:P

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2013, 09:03:58 PM »

Haha...I gather by that response that you are not much of a Killers fan :)

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »

;) Good luck! The legitimate tickets crap shoot can be a real bummer!

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2013, 09:09:43 PM »

Thank you...I agree! For this concert I'll just be happy with good seats!

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2013, 09:14:25 PM »

If you're up for it and if it's available, try to get GA/floor tickets. My husband is a huge grump about waiting in GA lines and packing up front with the super fans, but he was ecstatic after our Killers show and swore all that standing and waiting was worth it. I'm sure the show would sound just as great from the comfort of a seat, but it was extra engaging when you could see all of Brandon's sweat.  That boy earns his dollars.

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2013, 09:19:05 PM »

If you're up for it and if it's available, try to get GA/floor tickets. My husband is a huge grump about waiting in GA lines and packing up front with the super fans, but he was ecstatic after our Killers show and swore all that standing and waiting was worth it. I'm sure the show would sound just as great from the comfort of a seat, but it was extra engaging when you could see all of Brandon's sweat.  That boy earns his dollars.

I love GA...it's the energy of the crowd; just takes me to another place.  I saw the Killers during their first tour at a House of Blues, was small and the crowd was amazing!! The band blew me away - I went to see the opening act but ended up falling for this band.

I'm going with my sis in law...sometimes she's not up for GA..

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2013, 09:19:38 PM »
there is no standing room at the venue they're playin at in Grand Prarie it's only seating. odd. yea ill need to get tickets asap im just not sure if i can get them on friday :(

any idea if there's an opening band, or rather, who it is?

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2013, 09:22:35 PM »
there is no standing room at the venue they're playin at in Grand Prarie it's only seating. odd. yea ill need to get tickets asap im just not sure if i can get them on friday :(

any idea if there's an opening band, or rather, who it is?

I've recently moved to Austin and am in heaven with the abundance of music in this city!! 

Looking forward to SXSW....