Author Topic: U2 SHOULD TOUR WITH ENO AND LANOIS  (Read 6992 times)

Offline zoo3d

• Babyface
U2 SHOULD TOUR WITH ENO AND LANOIS
« on: February 16, 2009, 07:52:31 AM »
'NUFF SAID.
How cool would that be? They need to give credit where credit is due.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 07:54:47 AM by zoo3d »

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
Re: U2 SHOULD TOUR WITH ENO AND LANOIS
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:00:31 AM »
That would ROCK!!! ;D

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 08:01:40 AM »
It would really be great to have Eno and Lanois with them in the tour.  But they should just stay backstage or below the stage playing their bits.  U2 should always only be the four of them on stage.

Cheers,

J

Offline zoo3d

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 08:11:41 AM »
Eno and Lanois "below the stage", isn't that a bit of a slap in the face?

Petition?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:19:00 AM by zoo3d »

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 08:27:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Eno and Lanois "below the stage", isn't that a bit of a slap in the face?

Petition?

It's not.  For all these years, they have always been "behind the music" anyway.  So it would be a tremendous privilege for them if U2 would finally invite them to tour with the band, so they can do all their studio nitty gritty also on the road backstage or below-the-stage.  It might actually enhance U2's live sound, but this is just a wild guess and Eno and Lanois aren't exactly experienced in live settings since their job descriptions have more to do with making albums which includes multiple takes and retakes.  In a live setting there is only one go at it, and it might be too much to ask from them.  But who knows?  Maybe U2 might just consider the idea and invite them.  Lanois would definitely compliment Dallas Schoo.

Cheers,

J

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 08:46:39 AM »
That would be cool, unfortunately both those guys'll be too busy. Maybe they could make a surprise appearance at one of the gigs though. Dunno if they've ever done that before.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:47:42 AM »
As co-songwriters on 7 of the songs and their integral part in the making of the album, it would be only right to have them on stage. Might add some new dynamics to the band. Also, they are experienced live musicians, so they know what they are doing on a stage as well as anyone else.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 09:12:16 AM »
Something appropriately low key and understated might be okay (like a few times at a few specific concerts), but personally I would just rather this not happen at all.  The only time I can think of that I have heard one of them on tour was Eno playing keyboards during the One they recorded live (I think it's a b-side to the single for Miss Sarajevo) and I found his contribution annoying to the point it nearly ruins the song for me.  If having him play live with U2 is more of that, then no thank you.  U2 could have the Tellitubbies on stage and I'd still see it, but I hope if this is done it is very circumspect, and I can't say I'm as excited about the idea as some other folks seem to be.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 09:41:59 AM »
Brian Eno has performed onstage with U2 once in the 1997 Popmart Tour Sarajevo leg.  He did Miss Sarajevo with the band.  It was a forgettable performance.  It was known more as the day U2 played Sarajevo, or the leg Bono lost his voice, or the first time Edge did his solo Sunday Bloody Sunday.  No one even remembers it as the first time Miss Sarajevo was played in a U2 concert.

Daniel Lanois joined U2 onstage in a Vertigo Tour show but it was also a forgettable appearance.

There is a reason why Eno and Lanois are producers and U2 are the superstar band.  So its better to have Eno and Lanois stick to what they do best, which is produce albums.  They just don't have the chops to make it in a live setting as has been evidenced in the past.  U2 would never hire them full-time for their tour and give them the privilege of supporting the band's live music from backstage.  It is just not their expertise.

Cheers,

J

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They just don't have the chops to make it in a live setting as has been evidenced in the past. 

Have you ever seen Roxy Music live, or a Lanois live show  ?

My guess is "no".

So you have not seen the evidence of what they can do when properly rehearsed.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 09:45:10 AM »
It would be wonderful!  :D

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 09:57:39 AM »
Due to a seeming request, let me rephrase my statement:

"They just don't have the chops to make it in a live U2 setting as has been evidenced in the past."

And right now, that statement is the norm until proven otherwise because in all their years of producing U2 and making the cameo live appearance, they have yet to leave a lasting impression to anyone.

I don't think U2 would hire them.

Cheers,

J

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 10:02:07 AM »

Clearly anyone who has the "chops" to put on as good a show as Roxy Music used to, or as Lanois does to this day, would be capable of fitting in to a U2 live setting when properly rehearsed.

Pretty obvious really.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 10:44:27 AM »
Danny Lanois is a great live musician, a true artist who needs only his voice and his guitar to captivate the audience.

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »
Daniel Lanois joined U2 in Montreal, November 26th 2005, for an epic rendition of Bad.  8)

He should come and play more often, he's great !